+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to file tax for the soft landing days?

ocanadaocanada

Star Member
May 1, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I just have a quick question on how to file tax for the soft landing days...

For example, if I do a soft landing on December 28th 2019, for that 4 days in 2019, even if I didn't make any money in Canada and did not live more than 183 days in Canada in 2019, I still need to submit some kind of tax form for that 4 days before the April 2020 tax due date, am I correct?

Also, does it make a difference if I land in December and get the SIN in January instead of December?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You answered your own question in that if you are only doing a soft landing you will not be tax resident. Don’t think makes any difference whether SIN in Dec or Jan, some people get a SIN when they finally move although always best/recommended to tick off list of things to do as soon as.

Reactions: Buletruck

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hi Everyone,

I just have a quick question on how to file tax for the soft landing days...

For example, if I do a soft landing on December 28th 2019, for that 4 days in 2019, even if I didn't make any money in Canada and did not live more than 183 days in Canada in 2019, I still need to submit some kind of tax form for that 4 days before the April 2020 tax due date, am I correct?

Also, does it make a difference if I land in December and get the SIN in January instead of December?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!
Hi,

It doesn't matter, even you can file the tax as well (obviously it would be 0).
Not sure if you have complete info, the PR people get the benefit of tax rebate for the 1st year. Year starts from date of landing on the CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) or PR card.

TBH, it doesn't make difference if you land in December & get SIN in January. Either case is same.

Good Luck

sergtr

Nov 28, 2019
Hi,

It doesn't matter, even you can file the tax as well (obviously it would be 0).
Not sure if you have complete info, the PR people get the benefit of tax rebate for the 1st year. Year starts from date of landing on the CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) or PR card.

TBH, it doesn't make difference if you land in December & get SIN in January. Either case is same.

Good Luck
Hi,

And what about the case if I bought an apartment during the soft landing period? Would I have to pay taxes for the first year? And what would happen if I rented the apartment?

Thanks in advance for your help

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hi,

And what about the case if I bought an apartment during the soft landing period? Would I have to pay taxes for the first year? And what would happen if I rented the apartment?

Hi,

I guess you need Mortgage as well for getting property. (For mortgage need to show the income as well)
It is very unlikely people do purchase apartment/house on day 1 of landing.
When ever you are purchasing the property, need to pay the taxes.
There is a benefit given to First Time Home Buyers.

Though if you rent out the property, then you can claim the tax benefit on the same when filing the tax for the Fiscal Year (January 01 to December 31).

Good Luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

You would have to talk to CRA to determine if you are a tax resident.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I guess you need Mortgage as well for getting property. (For mortgage need to show the income as well)
It is very unlikely people do purchase apartment/house on day 1 of landing.
When ever you are purchasing the property, need to pay the taxes.
There is a benefit given to First Time Home Buyers.

Though if you rent out the property, then you can claim the tax benefit on the same when filing the tax for the Fiscal Year (January 01 to December 31).

Good Luck
Mortgage is not compulsory. Can pay cash upright. People can purchase apartment / house on day 1 of landing. Just need hours to write an offering and paperworks can be done abroad after contact with a Canadian lawyer.