+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to extend work permit (IEC) - LMIA/PNP?

mitzubishi

Nov 25, 2020
Happy day guys,

I am here in Canada on a IEC (Work and Holiday) so I have a one year work permit but it is expiring in January 16 th 2021. I work for a Ski Resort as a IT System Administrator they would help me to stay on sponsor me.

Now my question is what is the best bet a LMIA or a PNP? I havent done a english test and I haven't finished my studies back home / just a certificate for my traineeship as a IT guy.
What is the easiest and fastest way to go and how could I win time to do everything without losing my actual work permit?
Maybe a c10 application to win time?

Thanks,
Mitzi

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Happy day guys,

I am here in Canada on a IEC (Work and Holiday) so I have a one year work permit but it is expiring in January 16 th 2021. I work for a Ski Resort as a IT System Administrator they would help me to stay on sponsor me.

Now my question is what is the best bet a LMIA or a PNP? I havent done a english test and I haven't finished my studies back home / just a certificate for my traineeship as a IT guy.
What is the easiest and fastest way to go and how could I win time to do everything without losing my actual work permit?
Maybe a c10 application to win time?

Thanks,
Mitzi
What province? Look at the PNP program & see if you are even eligible. A LMIA takes months to process. Your employer needs to show they are unable to find a Canadian or PR to do the job. Ask them. If successful, you apply for closed work permit which again takes months.

You need to take language tests & have education assessed to apply for Express Entry & PNP programs.

Nothing can be completed by January. Look at changing your status to visitor as you will need to stop working on January 17.

mitzubishi

Nov 25, 2020
Thank you very much for the answer, I am located in BC at the moment, they had the position online since August but not sure who applied for it I just started a week ago.

Oh shit I didn't knew that I had to do a language test for that...

I could apply for an extention of my current work visa which will be declined but so I could win a little bit time or?

Thanks,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Look at the BC PNP programs. Employer has to show they couldn’t hire locally. You aren’t eligible to apply through express entry if you dont have language tests. You may not even have enough points to be eligible without a degree and several years skilled work experience.

You can’t extend your permit because you aren’t eligible to do so. So you can’t “buy” time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/eligibility.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for the answer, I am located in BC at the moment, they had the position online since August but not sure who applied for it I just started a week ago.

Oh shit I didn't knew that I had to do a language test for that...

I could apply for an extention of my current work visa which will be declined but so I could win a little bit time or?

Thanks,
You can apply for an extension which will buy you some time in terms of being able to work longer. However that extension will end up being refused and then you'll end up in Canada without status (and will need to stop working immediately). You'll then need to apply to restore your status which is taking many months right now (and of course no ability to work while you wait). Most immigration programs do not allow you to apply while out of status in Canada.