+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to extend visa after defering from sep 2022 intake to may 2023 intake

prabh0023

Dec 26, 2022
Hi,

I received my visa a little and couldn't upload on my college website before the last date. I have asked college to defer and they have accepted for may 2023 intake.
My visa that I received expires on 7th May 2023 and classes for new intake begin on 6th May.
Should I apply for new visa or renewal ?

Me_A

Star Member
Nov 16, 2021
Hi,

I received my visa a little and couldn't upload on my college website before the last date. I have asked college to defer and they have accepted for may 2023 intake.
My visa that I received expires on 7th May 2023 and classes for new intake begin on 6th May.
No updated the new LOA to ircc and you can travel 4 weeks to start date

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

Are you in Canada? If not, you cannot extend a visa. You need to come into Canada before the 7th and extend once in Canada.

prabh0023

Dec 26, 2022
Are you in Canada? If not, you cannot extend a visa. You need to come into Canada before the 7th and extend once in Canada.
I can only come 4 weeks before my study actual starts. I'll apply for extension then. What If I don't get approval on time and my Visa expires ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I can only come 4 weeks before my study actual starts. I'll apply for extension then. What If I don't get approval on time and my Visa expires ?
As long as you are in Canada and extend before the expiry then you are on implied status until a decision is made. So you will be okay.

Abdussalam Khan

Nov 13, 2022
Nowshera, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
11-08-2022
Med's Done....
15-08-2022
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-09-2022
Can I start fresh and apply for a new Visa instead ? Will it work? Is it a good Idea ?
I guess you are confused about Visa and SP. You just need a valid visa for travelling, while you need a valid SP to study and live in Canada legally. Your SP will be in line with your updated LOA after you provide your May 23 LOA at the immigration. For the extension of your Visa, you need to file a new TRV application, once you are in Canada.

Reactions: Simba112

prabh0023

Dec 26, 2022
I guess you are confused about Visa and SP. You just need a valid visa for travelling, while you need a valid SP to study and live in Canada legally. Your SP will be in line with your updated LOA after you provide your May 23 LOA at the immigration. For the extension of your Visa, you need to file a new TRV application, once you are in Canada.
So they will extend my Study permit after I give them the updated LOA and then I can come to canada and apply for Visa extension. Am I right ?

Abdussalam Khan

Nov 13, 2022
Nowshera, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
11-08-2022
Med's Done....
15-08-2022
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-09-2022
So they will extend my Study permit after I give them the updated LOA and then I can come to canada and apply for Visa extension. Am I right ?
That's correct, you will get the SP at the immigration (at the airport after landing in Canada). Make sure you inform the IRCC about your deferral through a webform, as the gap between the intakes is more than 150 days.

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
It will be easy to remember, to study you need a Study Permit. As everyone else told you, once you get a new LoA from the university, you can travel 4 weeks before your classes start and show the new LoA to the Immigration officer at the airport in Canada. They will print the Study Permit for you and give it to you on the spot. So make your sure your new LoA has the accurate duration of your program mentioned on it, start and end dates.

You need a Temporary Resident Visa (the visa that is stamped in your passport) to enter Canada. As long as this hasn't expired by the time you enter Canada, it is perfectly valid.

You will then need to apply for a TRV extension to leave Canada. You can do this after you enter Canada in April 2023, by applying online. It can take a month or two, and that's alright. You'll get a new TRV stamped in your passport before the end of your first semester.

prabh0023

Dec 26, 2022
It will be easy to remember, to study you need a Study Permit. As everyone else told you, once you get a new LoA from the university, you can travel 4 weeks before your classes start and show the new LoA to the Immigration officer at the airport in Canada. They will print the Study Permit for you and give it to you on the spot. So make your sure your new LoA has the accurate duration of your program mentioned on it, start and end dates.

You need a Temporary Resident Visa (the visa that is stamped in your passport) to enter Canada. As long as this hasn't expired by the time you enter Canada, it is perfectly valid.

You will then need to apply for a TRV extension to leave Canada. You can do this after you enter Canada in April 2023, by applying online. It can take a month or two, and that's alright. You'll get a new TRV stamped in your passport before the end of your first semester.
The reason I received visa till 7th May was that my passport is expiring on 8th may. I have received a new passport that is valid beyond that. Do I need to get the new passport stamped ?

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
I'd suggest you wait till you're in Canada. After you get your Study Permit at the border, you can apply for the new TRV, by uploading the study permit copy and your new passport. It will take a month within Canada. Could be delayed if you do it outside Canada.

Reactions: prabh0023

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
The reason I received visa till 7th May was that my passport is expiring on 8th may. I have received a new passport that is valid beyond that. Do I need to get the new passport stamped ?
Request updated LOA and travel at least 4weeks before your your program starts. At the boarder, they will issue Study Permit as per the duration of your study based on your LOA. You will have status even if your Visa expires provided your study permit is valid. You only request for another visa if you want to travel outside of Canada.

Reactions: prabh0023