+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to enter Canada with PR card(expired)?

sham_visa

Jun 23, 2015
Am a citizen of Canada

My spouse had PR status in Canada but did not complete her 2 year obligation of physical stay in last 5 years and already moved out of Canada, for some medical reasons in July 2021

Her PR card already expired last month.

She would like to come back to Canada after recovering from her medical issues, two years later.

She does not prefer losing PR status, so she did not apply for PR revocation.

1) Can she apply for any visa again? Through my sponsorship.

2) Is she supposed to perform tax returns of Canada, for next two years? she is outside Canada and would not like to apply for PR revocation, because she would like to settle in Canada after two completing her two years outside Canada

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Am a citizen of Canada

My spouse had PR status in Canada but did not complete her 2 year obligation of physical stay in last 5 years and already moved out of Canada, for some medical reasons in July 2021

She would like to come back to Canada after recovering from her medical issues, two years later.

2) Is she supposed to perform tax returns of Canada, for next two years? she is outside Canada and would not like to apply for PR revocation, because she would like to settle in Canada after two completing her two years outside Canada
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/permanent-resident-travel-document.716076/

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Am a citizen of Canada

Are you a citizen or applying for citizenship? How long has your spouse spent in Canada as a PR? Are you also living outside of Canada with her? Are you still in a relationship?

sham_visa

Jun 23, 2015
Are you a citizen or applying for citizenship? How long has your spouse spent in Canada as a PR? Are you also living outside of Canada with her? Are you still in a relationship?
Yes I became citizen of Canada.
My spouse spent 9 months in Canada as PR and left Canada due to medical issues.
Am living in Canada as citizen.
Yes, we are in relationship. I visit once in 6 months to my family.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I became citizen of Canada.
My spouse spent 9 months in Canada as PR and left Canada due to medical issues.
Am living in Canada as citizen.
Yes, we are in relationship. I visit once in 6 months to my family.
She had access to medical care in Canada so seeking medical care abroad is not a reason to not meet her RO. If her card expired in 2021 she was already not compliant with her RO when she entered Canada the last time. Her only option is to try to get a PRTD based on H&C or try to enter via the US land border and hope to not be reported.

RajC6

Apr 22, 2017
Kindly need urgent assistance please with my query...Due to the Pandemic situation I was unable to travel even I had Canada PR card.

I and my family received COPR - July2017
we did soft landing in Canada within 1 year after COPR - June 2018
we stayed for around 15 days in Canada, returned back to India
we got PR card which was valid till August 2023
2018 to 2019: we are in India
2019 to 2020: we are in India, unable to travel due to Covid situation
2020 to 2021: we are in India, unable to travel due to Covid situation
October 2021: Now we are planning to travel to Canada, Am I allowed ? whether 2 years out of 5 years obligation applicable in this scenario as my Canada PR card will be expired in Aug 2023

Am i allowed now to enter into Canada?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You are allowed to enter Canada. It's possible you could be reported but if you return soonest perhaps less likely due to covid reasons. If you're not reported, you remain in Canada until in compliance and you should be fine.

Travel during that period may be risky though.

Plenty of other threads here discussing in more detail.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Kindly need urgent assistance please with my query...Due to the Pandemic situation I was unable to travel even I had Canada PR card.

I and my family received COPR - July2017
we did soft landing in Canada within 1 year after COPR - June 2018
we stayed for around 15 days in Canada, returned back to India
we got PR card which was valid till August 2023
2018 to 2019: we are in India
2019 to 2020: we are in India, unable to travel due to Covid situation
2020 to 2021: we are in India, unable to travel due to Covid situation
October 2021: Now we are planning to travel to Canada, Am I allowed ? whether 2 years out of 5 years obligation applicable in this scenario as my Canada PR card will be expired in Aug 2023

Am i allowed now to enter into Canada?
You should move as soon as possible. The earlier you enter the better your chance of not getting reported. You were able to travel during most of 2020 and 2021 and many people did travel from India. You will need to remain in Canada for 2+ years to become compliant with your RO when you enter Canada.