+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to claim 5 point adaptability for previous study

nhatpham

Apr 18, 2019
Hi everybody,

I have been studying Ph.D. program in Canada since January 2017. I know that my express entry profile will be awarded 5 points adaptability for the previous 2-year full-time study in Canada. But I am really confused about how to claim this previous study.

I declare the Ph.D. education is the current study. However, I don't know how to answers these two questions to earn 5 points adaptability.
The first question is "Standing at the end of study period " and it has the options:
A. In good standing but no certificate or no diploma or no degree awarded.
B. Certificate or no diploma or no degree awarded
C. Not completed.

The second question is "Was YYY awarded a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate for this period of study".
A. yes.
B. No

I selected A for the first question and B for the second question since I am studying the Ph.D. However, my express entry profile got the result as ineligible. Without 5 point adaptability, my point of FSW is 66.

However, I notice that the CRS tool (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp) guides that I should answer yes for the second question as below
----------------------------------------------------------
4b) Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?

Note: to answer yes:

• English or French as a Second Language must not have made up more than half your study
  • you must not have studied under an award that required you to return to your home country after graduation to apply your skills and knowledge
  • you must have studied at a school within Canada (foreign campuses don’t count)
  • you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight-month
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there anybody who has the same situation and can claim 5 point adaptability for the previous 2-year full-time study in Canda? Please advice.

Best regards,

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi everybody,

I have been studying Ph.D. program in Canada since January 2017. I know that my express entry profile will be awarded 5 points adaptability for the previous 2-year full-time study in Canada. But I am really confused about how to claim this previous study.

I declare the Ph.D. education is the current study. However, I don't know how to answers these two questions to earn 5 points adaptability.
The first question is "Standing at the end of study period " and it has the options:
A. In good standing but no certificate or no diploma or no degree awarded.
B. Certificate or no diploma or no degree awarded
C. Not completed.

The second question is "Was YYY awarded a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate for this period of study".
A. yes.
B. No

I selected A for the first question and B for the second question since I am studying the Ph.D. However, my express entry profile got the result as ineligible. Without 5 point adaptability, my point of FSW is 66.

However, I notice that the CRS tool (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp) guides that I should answer yes for the second question as below
----------------------------------------------------------
4b) Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?

Note: to answer yes:

• English or French as a Second Language must not have made up more than half your study
  • you must not have studied under an award that required you to return to your home country after graduation to apply your skills and knowledge
  • you must have studied at a school within Canada (foreign campuses don’t count)
  • you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight-month
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there anybody who has the same situation and can claim 5 point adaptability for the previous 2-year full-time study in Canda? Please advice.

Best regards,
you answer yes to that question if your course was ESL or about learning english, not that it was given in the english language

nhatpham

Apr 18, 2019
Thank hamgha for your quick response.

My last 2-year full-time study in Canada is only about the Ph.D. program which is given in the English language. Also I do not need to join ESL or learning English. That means I can say "yes" to the question 4b) Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?.

So to confirm my understanding, your advice is I should answer yes for The second question is "Was YYY awarded a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate for this period of study". Does it mean that I also should select answer B for the first question "Standing at the end of study period "?

I am looking forward to your advice.
Best regards,

Jamesy25

Dec 7, 2019
Hi. Have you managed to figure out a way to score the 5 points for adaptability? I am currently in the same situation as well. I have applied to Express Entry and got an ineligible result. I scored myself to have 66 points without the prior Canadian study. I have studied in Canada full-time for 2 years before transferring to a US University and graduating with a bachelor's there .