+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to choose my title. Help!!

pk8914

Sep 1, 2011
I am working at Canadian Tire as registered automotive apparentice, my main duities are changing oil and tires and running E-Test , sometime I will assist mechanics do brakes , alignment, suspension as well.

My lawyer tell me choose first one, but if you find requirements of automotive service technician, you will see "completion of four-year appparetice program"
I am actually on the first year of the apparentice program.
I think my lawer doesn't really understand the difference between technician and apparetice.
I asked another professional as well , he said "doesn't matter" , he had same case like mine, he just used " service technician " as his title.

PS: Technically , I can't be registered as an apparentice due to I dont have canadian citizenship. but I somehow got registered, and I have the certificate.

which one should I pick?

7321 Automotive Service Technicians, Truck and Bus Mechanics and Mechanical Repairers

automotive service technician
automotive service technician apprentice

Requirements of automotive service technician

Completion of secondary school is usually required.
Completion of a four-year automotive service technician apprenticeship program or
A combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and high school, college or industry courses in automotive technology is required to be eligible for trade certification.
Automotive service technician trade certification is compulsory in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
Automotive service technician (fuel, electrical and electronic systems) and automotive service technician (transmission) trade certification is compulsory in New Brunswick and Ontario and available, but voluntary, in Prince Edward Island.
Automotive service technician (steering, suspension and brakes) trade certification is compulsory in New Brunswick and Ontario.
Motor vehicle repair (service station mechanic) trade certification is compulsory in Nova Scotia and available, but voluntary, in Prince Edward Island.
Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) is also available to qualified automotive service technicians.

sai_murthy

Aug 2, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CCP-O
App. Filed.......
05-08-2011
AOR Received.
15-10-2011
File Transfer...
15-10.2011
Med's Request
15-10-2011
Med's Done....
19-10-2011
Interview........
Waivied
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
Compare the Occupation that is present on your work permit, then you can get the required NOC and title.

rodrigochi89

Jul 2, 2012
Hi :)

What did you finally do? I read that you were successful and received your PR card.

Did you apply as an apprentice?? It would be awesome if you could tell us a bit more.

thanks in advance :)

rodrigochi89

Jul 2, 2012
Hi Joelkhor

thanks for replying, I'm currently working as a carpenter apprentice in BC. Similar to pk8914, I also got my apprenticeship registered with the provincial trade authority and they had no issues or concerns about it..

Have you run into any trouble with CEC regarding your job title?

joelkhor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2014
I am an apprentice auto service technician just like what pk8914 used to be. I'm think I will apply with the job title as "automotive service technician apprentice" as I don't want CIC to accuse me of misrepresenting information. Besides, I checked the HRSDC website that under the main title of "automotive service technician", there are many other example titles. There is a mixed combination of titles related to the automotive trade including apprentice. I believe for carpenters, if you look under example titles, you'll find "Carpenter Apprentice". So this should mean that apprentices are qualified under the same NOC. What do you think?

rodrigochi89

Jul 2, 2012
Hi Joelkhor,

I have also checked the HRSDC before, and it makes sense to me to apply as an apprentice. So I will do that.
I have been looking for more people with a similar case just to see if they have had any trouble with CEC regarding their titles... so far I haven't found anybody.

may I ask you , when are you planning on sending your application?

joelkhor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2014
Hi rodrigochi89,

I'm planning to apply early Sept. Can't wait haha! How about you? I have some doubts about that title too but I asked my friend who just got his PR, he said he used the title of "auto service apprentice". So it should be ok I guess, as long as your job duties match the NOC. I tried contact pk8914 by PM but he did not reply.

Just out of curiosity, how much are you making as an apprentice carpenter?

rodrigochi89

Jul 2, 2012
Hi again Joelkhor,

good to hear from you, I still need to get more months of full-time experience. I hope to apply to CEC by April or May 2015...

By now I'm not making a lot of money, just $15 / hour. But this is because I'm just starting to work with them. I should be able to get $20/hour. but that will come as I gain more experience on the job ;)

joelkhor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2014
Hi rodrigochi89,

Wow!! I really should have taken carpentry instead. Automotive is such a terrible trade man. I've almost 2 years of experience and my pay just only recently increased to $14/hr. And it is in more ways harmful to the body than the carpentry trade.

If you apply in 2015, there will not be CEC anymore. They are changing to the Canada Express Entry program.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
joelkhor said:
Hi rodrigochi89,

Wow!! I really should have taken carpentry instead. Automotive is such a terrible trade man. I've almost 2 years of experience and my pay just only recently increased to $14/hr. And it is in more ways harmful to the body than the carpentry trade.

If you apply in 2015, there will not be CEC anymore. They are changing to the Canada Express Entry program.
You are right with the 'Express Entry' program in 2015, but all four existing economic immigration programs CEC, FSWP, FSTP, PNP will remain.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/employers/express-entry-presentation.asp

Raj58

Sep 18, 2015
Starting as an apprentice

Hey! Brother,

I am an international student, did two years diploma in Motive Power Technician program. Now I'm on PGWP and looking for jobs in automotive industry. I have got offers from mechanic shops for apprentice mechanic like Canadian Tire. I went to MTCU office to register for apprentice and they denied my registration because it requires Citizenship, or Permanent Residency or Study permit (although I have PGWP).

So now, I'm planning to apply for study permit so that I can enroll into apprentice.

My questions are
1. Let's say I've applied study permit and start apprentice, got enough experience (1 year) to apply for CEC, Will the study permit make any problem for immigration?
2. Our mechanic-apprentice falls under NOC B category - Will the apprentice be considered as work experience?
3. How did you register for apprentice? Did you get the study permit for that along with the work permit?

Your guidance will be highly appreciated !!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You don't "choose: a job title, your employer gives it to you. You are what your employer says you are.

pk8914 said:
7321 Automotive Service Technicians, Truck and Bus Mechanics and Mechanical Repairers
Requirements of automotive service technician

Completion of secondary school is usually required.
Completion of a four-year automotive service technician apprenticeship program or
A combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and high school, college or industry courses in automotive technology is required to be eligible for trade certification.
Automotive service technician trade certification is compulsory in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
Automotive service technician (fuel, electrical and electronic systems) and automotive service technician (transmission) trade certification is compulsory in New Brunswick and Ontario and available, but voluntary, in Prince Edward Island.
Automotive service technician (steering, suspension and brakes) trade certification is compulsory in New Brunswick and Ontario.
Motor vehicle repair (service station mechanic) trade certification is compulsory in Nova Scotia and available, but voluntary, in Prince Edward Island.
Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) is also available to qualified automotive service technicians.
Did I miss the part where you said what province you were in? This is important.

olaola026

Nov 17, 2016
jes_ON said:
You don't "choose: a job title, your employer gives it to you. You are what your employer says you are.

Did I miss the part where you said what province you were in? This is important.
Hi! Could you please help! My husband's employer - automotive dealership, write letters, where they call him Service Technician. But NOC 7321 require trade certificate for Automotive Service Technician in Alberta. And he doesn't have one. Is it ok for CEC?