+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to change surname from maiden to married surname on UK Passport and Canadian PR card etc?

KatieA

Oct 19, 2018
I have had my Canadian PR card for about a year and a half now, but I would like to change my surname legally over to my married name. This would be for all documents in my name including passport and PR card. (I got married in the UK before moving to Canada).
How do I go about making this name change in Canada without any negative impacts on my citizen application in future?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I have had my Canadian PR card for about a year and a half now, but I would like to change my surname legally over to my married name. This would be for all documents in my name including passport and PR card. (I got married in the UK before moving to Canada).
How do I go about making this name change in Canada without any negative impacts on my citizen application in future?
There will be no impact on your citizenship application. Changing name process depends on your province you are living in .

KatieA

Oct 19, 2018
There will be no impact on your citizenship application. Changing name process depends on your province you are living in .
I live in BC. Do you know any more specific details regarding the process for that province?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
True, but: read carefully and you see this text - 'Certificates are available for legal name changes only and not for name changes due to using a spouse’s surname after marriage. If taking your spouse’s surname, in most cases, changing your name on bank accounts, social insurance number, driver's license, and other agencies is as simple as showing your current identification and your marriage certificate.'

In short, if you want to take your spouse's name - just go and change it with the agencies/companies involved. They'll usually want to see the marriage certificate. In most provinces (Quebec the exception I think), you won't need to do the legal change-of-name process. You just do it.

AFTER you do that, you can go to IRCC with those docs (eg driver's license, other) and ask to change name on that basis.

The wrinkle is, how other countries treat this is an entirely different matter and I've no idea on that.