17-03-2016
Passport Req..
20-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-2016
LANDED..........
13-10-2016
Hi everyone!

I am having difficulties with the "Check Your Eligibility Tool" since this is the only way to start an online application it is not allowing my wife to apply for a Work Permit but Visitor visa only. Here is my situation;

We are in Canada I have a PGWP and I am working on NOC A, my wife status is Student (ESL School). When I answer all the wright questions at the Eligibility Wizard it just show the option to apply for a Visitor Visa, but if I change the answers stating that my wife is a Visitor in Canada, then the system allow her to apply for a Work Permit as spouse of someone with WP working on NOC 0,A,B.

Therefore seems like she must apply for a Visitor Visa first and then apply for a Work Permit. This is awkward, why she can't move from Student Visa to Work Visa? Does anyone have any idea what could we be doing wrong?

Please share your thoughts.

under_pressure

Oct 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Because in a study Visa it's supposed that she is studying and not working openly ;D

She doesn't need to switch to visitor, you have to submit an application to change status: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp IMM5710

HInland

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
Passport Req..
20-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-2016
LANDED..........
13-10-2016
Well this is why she want to change to a Open Work Permit, to work openly. :p

If you follow your link and click on "Find out if you are eligible to apply online", this tool is the beginning of any online application and if I answer all the questions accordingly the tool states that she is eligible for a temporary visitor visa only.

We are considering the paper application, but it usually takes a excruciating amount of time

HKG

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
she can work on study permit too. Once she finishes her studies she will become eligible for pgwp.

under_pressure

Oct 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HInland said:
Well this is why she want to change to a Open Work Permit, to work openly. :p

If you follow your link and click on "Find out if you are eligible to apply online", this tool is the beginning of any online application and if I answer all the questions accordingly the tool states that she is eligible for a temporary visitor visa only.

We are considering the paper application, but it usually takes a excruciating amount of time
I mean, this is the reason why the system didn't allow you to do that, because a student can't switch to a OWP directly, is against the intention of a study visa . I know in your case this is possible based on your WP.

Sorry but I certainly don't know if this could be done online, I think you should call to Cic and try to find out.

HInland

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
Passport Req..
20-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-2016
LANDED..........
13-10-2016
under_pressure said:
I mean, this is the reason why the system didn't allow you to do that, because a student can't switch to a OWP directly, is against the intention of a study visa . I know in your case this is possible based on your WP.

Sorry but I certainly don't know if this could be done online, I think you should call to Cic and try to find out.
Actually I had called them months before posting here, on the phone the attendant agreed that she should be able to apply for a WP, but they can't guide us trough the answers to apply online and suggested that I should apply on paper.

I know that a paper application would add months to the process, then, I have opened a Technical ticket on their website, after a month they answered with more questions, I replied and I still waiting for a new contact.