+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to calculate years of Skilled Work Experience in filling up Express Entry

samzgfang

Star Member
Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seniors, when I created the EE profile and was asked how many years of Skilled Work Experience, I have been confused. Though I have created my own one and scored past 400 points, I am not sure if my understanding is right and the points are convinced.

Does this experience should be in line with only the same TYPE of O, A, or B when calculating the years? For example, if I had 1 year in type O and 2 years in Type A, and 3 years in Type B, how many years of Skill Work Experience should I put?

Many thanks.

Skilled work experience
Your work experience must be:
• at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
• paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
• in the same NOC skill type (0, A or B),
• within the last 10 years, and
• at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is where Primary NOC comes in. By choosing 1 NOC as Primary, you limit FSW calculation to that NOC (in accordance with what you mentioned).

For CRS computation, any paid foreign work experience (NOC 0/A/B) within last 10 years may be utilised to get the maximum allowed points (accrued at 3 years of experience). The answer for your example question would vary between 1/2/3 depending on your choice of Primary NOC.

All the best!

samzgfang

Star Member
Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for your help.

My profile goes like this:

2 years in Type O - 001x,
1 year in Type O - 006x,
1 year in Type B - 40xx,
5 years in Type A - 121x,
1 year in Type A - 124x,

how many years of Skill Work Experience should I put?

I will probably choose 001x as primary, but it is only 2 years, which means it will drag down my points.

You help is much appreciated.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What's your FSW score assuming 11 points (2-3 years) of foreign work experience? If you hit 67 with those 11 points, you don't need to worry.

As for CRS points, you'll get the highest possible score if you add any of those experiences in addition to the 2 years experience under NOC 001x.

samzgfang

Star Member
Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, Asivad, it scored 68 including 11 points (2-3 years) of foreign work experience.

And I calculated CRS to 406 (as below) if I only entered two years of experience under NOC 001x. So is it fair to say that in my case I could just re-enter 2 years of work experiences (under NOC 001x) now?

Thank you so much for clarifying this for me.

Core/Human capital factors

Age = 66
Level of education = 135
Study in Canada = undefined
Official Languages = 130
First Official Language = 130
Second Official Language = 0
Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 331

Spouse factors
Level of education = 0
First Official Languages = 0
Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 0

Skill transferability factors
Education
A) Official Language proficiency and education = 50
B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 50
Foreign work experience

A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 25
B) Canadian and foreign work experience B) = 0
Subtotal = 25

Certificate of qualification = 0
Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 75
Comprehensive Ranking System formula
Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 406
Additional points = 0
Grand total = 406

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes. You'll regain those 25 points if you add any other of your work experience (NOC 0/A/B) acquired within the last 10 years.

samzgfang

Star Member
Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much Asivad!

May I ask to regain the 25 points, any more work experience should be exactly under code 001x, the same as the one of two-year experience I claimed already?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samzgfang said:
Thank you so much Asivad!

May I ask to regain the 25 points, any more work experience should be exactly under code 001x, the same as the one of two-year experience I claimed already?
No. As I indicated above, add any experience under NOC 0/A/B and you'll get those 25 points provided your overall paid full-time foreign work experience (across one or more NOCs) equals or exceeds 3 years.

samzgfang

Star Member
Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, if so, I could still maintain 431 (= 406 + 25) even if I just fill in 2 years under NOC 001x plus inputting other work experiences under different NOC code (0/A/B). Am I right?

Let me update my application now and I will update you later. :)

Asivad Anac said:
No. As I indicated above, add any experience under NOC 0/A/B and you'll get those 25 points provided your overall paid full-time foreign work experience (across one or more NOCs) equals or exceeds 3 years.

samzgfang

Star Member
Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Asivad, I guess I have found no places in the EE system to adjust the years of my work under NOC 001x except the fields regarding my primary work NOC 001x. So is it fair to say that I just don't need to worry about anything if I have filled in all the fields in EE accordingly?

Hope I have made myself understood. Thank you again and happy holidays!

Asivad Anac said:

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samzgfang said:
Hi Asivad, I guess I have found no places in the EE system to adjust the years of my work under NOC 001x except the fields regarding my primary work NOC 001x. So is it fair to say that I just don't need to worry about anything if I have filled in all the fields in EE accordingly?

Hope I have made myself understood. Thank you again and happy holidays!
Yes.

CA2017

Dec 30, 2016
Hi. I came across this forum today and noticed interesting and quality details are being shared & i quickly registered. Can someone please suggest over the following? Is it workable if i travel to Canada, attend an interview & get a job. Come back and apply for ITA?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CA2017 said:
Hi. I came across this forum today and noticed interesting and quality details are being shared & i quickly registered. Can someone please suggest over the following? Is it workable if i travel to Canada, attend an interview & get a job. Come back and apply for ITA?
Extremely unlikely. And potentially illegal if you attend a job interview while in Canada as a visitor.

Pure Soul

Aug 10, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sgvo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-01-2018
Doc's Request.
09-08-2018
Nomination.....
04-10-2018
AOR Received.
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
While calculating CRS points
i. In the last ten years, how many years of skilled work experience in Canada do you have?

this is for overseas work experience?

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
While calculating CRS points
i. In the last ten years, how many years of skilled work experience in Canada do you have?

this is for overseas work experience?
Yes only if you have worked in Canada. The next question after this is if you have worked outside Canada.