+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Calculate Hours

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I am writing about my wife's job. She works as a university lecturer and her workload can change every semester, depending on how many courses she teaches. For example, she doesn't work over the summer (July and August). In the past year, depending on the number of courses she taught in a semester, her weekly hours were between 15 and 45 hours.

I am wondering how to calculate how many hours she had collected in the past 1.5 years. Because sometimes, a semester ends in the middle of a week and a new one starts the day after, so the first part of the week is her working, say, 15 hours, but the second one is her working 30 hours per week.

Do they calculate hours by day? (Week divided by 7? By 5?) This is a highly complex schedule, I understand, but even we can't calculate if she has already collected 1560 hours or not.

Her pay slips are not necessarily useful, because they include periods when she worked 45 hours and the immigration doesn't count anything above 30.

Any tips on how to handle this situation?

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
You can only count max 30 hours per week. IRCC counts work hours per week.
For weeks that she’s working less than 30 hours - put in the actual number - in your example above, put 15.
For weeks that she works 30 hours or above - count 30.
Add them up and see if you get 1560.

Reactions: SatNight

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
But what about the half-weeks? There are many weeks where her contract was for, say, 15h per week in the first part of the week, then switched to 30h. Because she is paid monthly so many contracts end and start in the middle of the week.

How to count, say, 12 weeks and 4 days?

Thank you.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
But what about the half-weeks? There are many weeks where her contract was for, say, 15h per week in the first part of the week, then switched to 30h. Because she is paid monthly so many contracts end and start in the middle of the week.

How to count, say, 12 weeks and 4 days?

Thank you.
Again, count it per week. IRCC didn’t provide guidance on which day of the week you should start counting so maybe just use Sunday to Saturday as a standard. same goes for the half weeks that’s she’s transitioning to a new contract.
It might be better if you attach a table of some sort to show IRCC how you calculated her hours so it’s easier for the officer to understand. Because as what you explained earlier, it’s not that straightforward.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Again, count it per week. IRCC didn’t provide guidance on which day of the week you should start counting so maybe just use Sunday to Saturday as a standard. same goes for the half weeks that’s she’s transitioning to a new contract.
It might be better if you attach a table of some sort to show IRCC how you calculated her hours so it’s easier for the officer to understand. Because as what you explained earlier, it’s not that straightforward.
How do we count half- weeks? Pardon me for being slow, but that's the part I don't get.

For example, she worked 30h per week in the period February 1 -April 30. This is 12 weeks and 5 days.
Then she switched to 15 hours May 1-June 30. This is 8 weeks and 4 days.

Since she changes her contract every 3-4 months, and these are monthly contracts (not weekly), there are many half-week situations, or week plus 2-3 days.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
How do we count half- weeks? Pardon me for being slow, but that's the part I don't get.

For example, she worked 30h per week in the period February 1 -April 30. This is 12 weeks and 5 days.
Then she switched to 15 hours May 1-June 30. This is 8 weeks and 4 days.

Since she changes her contract every 3-4 months, and these are monthly contracts (not weekly), there are many half-week situations, or week plus 2-3 days.
Count as if it’s a full week between 25 April to 1 May cause she is still working on the same job, same NOC just diff contracts. Not exceeding 30 hours a week though.

same goes for end of june - count the hours from 27 June to 3 July.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Count as if it’s a full week between 25 April to 1 May cause she is still working on the same job, same NOC just diff contracts. Not exceeding 30 hours a week though.

same goes for end of june - count the hours from 27 June to 3 July.
Is that allowed? This would mean additional days and more hours.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Is that allowed? This would mean additional days and more hours.
Huh? I don’t understand. You mentioned that there’s clear cut off on the contracts, right? So I’m just suggesting to count the weeks as normal - Sunday to Saturday. Plus max you can count is 30 hours per week - any excess is disregarded. That’s it. Where would you get additional days and hours?

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Oh, I get your suggestion now! So, we count those "half-weeks" as full and then the ones after will be according to the number of hours in the new contract.

Reactions: NOC98

huxing0522

Dec 14, 2019
Halifax
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-03-2021
Med's Done....
23-03-2021
LANDED..........
16-08-2021
To be conservative, it’s better to do more times than not enough.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Oh, I get your suggestion now! So, we count those "half-weeks" as full and then the ones after will be according to the number of hours in the new contract.
Better create a table so you’ll see how many hours you’re counting per week. Good luck.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Yes. Thank you.

We know it's better to be conservative, but we are trying to figure out if she'll be eligible at the end of June. She doesn't work over the summer, so if not, we would have to wait until September.