+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to bring girlfriend to Canada

valdo_oz

Jun 13, 2017
Hi guys,

Hoping that someone has some experience or advice concerning this situation.

Basically, I'm currently in Canada on a PWGP until 2020. My plan is to apply for PR upon meeting the requirements. My girlfriend (of 8 years) is currently finishing her general med degree in a foreign country and she wishes to join me in Canada upon graduation. Her eventual goal being that she will complete her residency in Canada and be able to practice as a doctor here. To get there, though, she must first get to Canada and become a permanent resident as well.

What is the best way to go about this? That is, how can she join me in Canada and work towards her PR?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you common law? Have you lived together continuously for at least one full year to become common law? Are you willing to get married?

valdo_oz

Jun 13, 2017
Are you common law? Have you lived together continuously for at least one full year to become common law? Are you willing to get married?
No, not common law. And marriage - eventually; is this the best route given our situation?

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
'Girlfriend' is not a legal status. So, since you are not common law and not married, you can't 'bring' her to Canada using your PGWP. You can't add her to your PR application when you apply either. If she wants to visit/study in Canada, she may apply for a visitor/student visa on her own. Good Luck!

valdo_oz

Jun 13, 2017
'Girlfriend' is not a legal status. So, since you are not common law and not married, you can't 'bring' her to Canada using your PGWP. You can't add her to your PR application when you apply either. If she wants to visit/study in Canada, she may apply for a visitor/student visa on her own. Good Luck!
So are these the only two options? -

1: Get married and apply for her temporary status using my PGWP, or add her to my PR application; or

2: Have her come under a visitor/student visa.

Also, if she comes under a visitor visa, I'm assuming that we can be common law if she stays for two - six month periods?

Thanks

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Also, if she comes under a visitor visa, I'm assuming that we can be common law if she stays for two - six month periods?

Thanks
One continuous 12 month period. (Sorry to split hairs here). Before her first 6 month visitor status expires, she can apply to extend it.

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
How old is your girlfriend and what nationality is she? If she's under 30/35 and from a country that has a working holiday visa agreement with Canada, she can come to Canada on the IEC visa and stay for 1/2 years. She won't be able to study on the working holiday visa but at least she'll be able to work and you two can work towards becoming common law if you're not ready for marriage yet.

valdo_oz

Jun 13, 2017
How old is your girlfriend and what nationality is she? If she's under 30/35 and from a country that has a working holiday visa agreement with Canada, she can come to Canada on the IEC visa and stay for 1/2 years. She won't be able to study on the working holiday visa but at least she'll be able to work and you two can work towards becoming common law if you're not ready for marriage yet.
Under 30 but I don't believe our country (Belize) has this agreement with Canada

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Under 30 but I don't believe our country (Belize) has this agreement with Canada
Unfortunately yea, it looks like it doesn't. I assume she doesn't have any other citizenships either. Since you said she wants to finish her residency in Canada, has she tried to apply for programs in Canada so that she can get sponsored through an economic stream to come over?

valdo_oz

Jun 13, 2017
Unfortunately yea, it looks like it doesn't. I assume she doesn't have any other citizenships either. Since you said she wants to finish her residency in Canada, has she tried to apply for programs in Canada so that she can get sponsored through an economic stream to come over?
It's actually a requirement to be a permanent resident(or citizen) to apply for these medical residency programs so unfortunately doesn't seem like this would be an option