+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to become a permanent resident ? Already in Canada working and living

Claudya90

Jan 10, 2018
Good morning everyone,

Quick question : My partner is British and has been living and working in Montreal (Quebec) since a year under the Youth experience visa ( 2 years visa) .

Can he become a permanent resident by himself ? Could he apply for it ? Or would it more easy if I sponsor him ?

Also, is he allowed to leave Canada for a holiday during his two years stay or would it be a problem for his application as permanent resident ?

Thank you !

Last edited:

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Good morning everyone,

Quick question : My partner is British and have been living and working in Montreal (Quebec) since a year under the Youth experience visa ( 2 years visa) .

Can he become a permanent resident by himself ? Could he apply for it ? Or would it more easy if I sponsor him ?

Also, is he allowed to leave Canada for a holiday during his two years stay or would it be a problem for his application as permanent resident ?

Thank you !
what is your current status in Canada? Have you been living together? If so for how long? Those will help answer if you can sponsor him.

For him to qualify on his own check out this thread.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/express-entry-step-by-step-instructions.273928/

Claudya90

Jan 10, 2018
what is your current status in Canada? Have you been living together? If so for how long? Those will help answer if you can sponsor him.

For him to qualify on his own check out this thread.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/express-entry-step-by-step-instructions.273928/
Thank you !
I will check it out . I was born and raised in Canada. We have been together for 5 years ( I lived in the UK ) and we have been living together for a year now in Montreal. I just wanted to see if could be a permanent resident without me sponsoring him ... From the link you sent me, it seems it would be easier for him if I sponsored him . Ill show him the documentation

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Thank you !
I will check it out . I was born and raised in Canada. We have been together for 5 years ( I lived in the UK ) and we have been living together for a year now in Montreal. I just wanted to see if could be a permanent resident without me sponsoring him ... From the link you sent me, it seems it would be easier for him if I sponsored him . Ill show him the documentation
yes if you live together for a year continuous you would be considered common law, you could then sponsor without marrying him. You just need all those proofs of cohabitation. If that is the route you go I would search common law sponsorship under the family section of this forum.

Claudya90

Jan 10, 2018
yes if you live together for a year continuous you would be considered common law, you could then sponsor without marrying him. You just need all those proofs of cohabitation. If that is the route you go I would search common law sponsorship under the family section of this forum.
Thank you again. I actually did all the paper work to sponsor him, but before I send them, just wanted to see what were his other options .

It's a big commitment so , why not look at other options just in case :) \

Thank you for your quick reply

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you !
Because you are living in Quebec, there are different immigration paths and requirements to the rest of Canada.
You will need to check out the Quebec specific options.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/quebec-skilled-workers.html