How to avoid losing the PR status

Traveler74

Star Member
Dec 22, 2007
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How to avoid losing the PR status
Can anyone help me with the calculation? I understand that to avoid losing my PR status I must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period.

I landed as a PR on July 2009 and left the country on October 2012, so a little more than 3 years as a resident. When do I need to go back so I don't lose my PR status?

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In order to make 2 years in any rolling 5 year period, the maximum time you can be away is 3 years at a time and then you must stay for 2 years straight to make up. Therefore, you must be back no later than October 2015.

Traveler74

Star Member
Dec 22, 2007
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
In order to make 2 years in any rolling 5 year period, the maximum time you can be away is 3 years at a time and then you must stay for 2 years straight to make up. Therefore, you must be back no later than October 2015.
Thanks Leon, But I have one last question. My PR card expires in Sep 2014. Will I run into a problem if I only go back in 2015 with an expired PR card?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are visa exempt, you can get on a plane without showing your PR card and deal with immigration about the expired card when you arrive. They may say something about not having renewed it but they will let you enter.

If you are not visa exempt, you will need a PR travel document to even get on the plane. They tend to be valid for 6 months so apply for it 6 months before you want to leave because it can take some time to process.