+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to avaoid misunderstanding in listening

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Hi ,
today I did a listening test
One answer was : ornamental lake and it was a first time for me to hear this word !!!!!! How could deal with this situation ? even after finishing test , again I try to understand but I couldn't

Would it because of non-standard test type?
thank you

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
Hi ,
today I did a listening test
One answer was : ornamental lake and it was a first time for me to hear this word !!!!!! How could deal with this situation ? even after finishing test , again I try to understand but I couldn't

Would it because of non-standard test type?
thank you
Which ones are you taking? There's a Cambridge test series which mocks the actual IELTS level.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Ornamental is a very common word but ornamental lake is somewhat weird usage of the word. Typically, when faced with unknown word, basic idea to deduce its meaning from surrounding words or context. I have few doubts about the usage of the word ornamental with lake. In listening if you find a word that is totally unknown to you, it may or may not be a problem. Sometimes that word is useless. Sometimes it is needed for an answer. If it is needed for an answer, try to deduce its meaning from the usage or word form. "Ornamental lake" will mean that ornamental is an adjective for the noun lake. Ornaments are something you wear to make you look good. So Ornamental lake will mean either lake which is like an ornament or something take makes the lake look beautiful perhaps?

BTW, ornamental also means something that is only for "looks" or aesthetics. Its antonym can be "functional". At times this kind of usage is negative in sense. Like : "The old king is only carrying an ornamental sword!" Meaning the old king does not have a weapon to defend himself OR his sword is only for show purpose and is useless otherwise.