+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply LMO and Work permit for a live in caregiver?

madpotato

Nov 24, 2011
Hi guys ,please help ,what s the detail procedures for a lmo and PR (the nanny already in Canada),thanks in advance!@ job_seeker, :p

Bambiegirl

May 18, 2011
madpotato said:
Hi guys ,please help ,what s the detail procedures for a lmo and PR (the nanny already in Canada),thanks in advance! @ job_seeker, :p
the employer will advertise for 14days in canada job bank.she/he (employer) must have a business/payroll number(Can be obtained thru calling CRA)
Employers who need someone to reside in their homes and provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities can hire live-in caregivers under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP).

LMO application (EMP5093)
Contract (EMP5498)
Description of Room - (Download PDF 38KB)
Medical Disability Certificate - (Download PDF 38KB)
Checklist - (Download PDF 106KB )
New - Employers using a third party representative must complete the "Annex to the Appointment of Representative" form and send it with the LMO application.
heres the link: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/fwp_forms.shtml#H02

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Sorry friend, was out the whole day :)

If the nanny is already in Canada under the live in caregiver program, the nanny and employer signs a contract.
Employer applies/sends LMO application to service Canada.
Since the employer is your employer, so they already have the CRA number. Attach the following with the LMO app.

Checklist

The following documents must be included when you apply for a Labour Market Opinion to hire a live-in caregiver. Please place an " X " beside the documents you are providing.

To be completed and signed by the employer and third-party representative
(if applicable)

Foreign Live-in Caregiver Application
Employment Contract
Appointment of Representative form, included with the application (if applicable)
Annex to the Appointment of Representative (if applicable)
Live-in Caregiver Bedroom Description

Other Documents

A copy of your Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
Copies of advertisements (if applicable) If the nanny is already in Canada, this is not needed anymore.
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/questions-answers/lcp.shtml#Q33
Proof of age and proof of parentage for each child, if care is for children (under 18): long-form birth certificate or adoption certificate, or official proof of guardianship or medical doctor's note confirming the pregnancy and due date of the child or
Proof of age for each senior, if care is for senior people (65 and older): one of the following: copies of birth certificate showing the date of birth, passport, old age security card or
Medical Disability Certificate, for each disabled person, if applicable

Bambie has it all.

madpotato said:
Hi guys ,please help ,what s the detail procedures for a lmo and PR (the nanny already in Canada),thanks in advance! @ job_seeker, :p

madpotato

Nov 24, 2011
lucybear05 said:
Is the nanny already IN the live-in caregiver program, or is she just a regular TFW??
I have no idea because they are looking a nanny ,still no body avaiable :'(

madpotato

Nov 24, 2011
Bambiegirl said:
the employer will advertise for 14days in canada job bank.she/he (employer) must have a business/payroll number(Can be obtained thru calling CRA)
Employers who need someone to reside in their homes and provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities can hire live-in caregivers under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP).

LMO application (EMP5093)
Contract (EMP5498)
Description of Room - (Download PDF 38KB)
Medical Disability Certificate - (Download PDF 38KB)
Checklist - (Download PDF 106KB )
New - Employers using a third party representative must complete the "Annex to the Appointment of

Representative" form and send it with the LMO application.

Thank you so much for your infomation ;)
heres the link: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/fwp_forms.shtml#H02

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Aww. That's far :) Anyway, you can guide them thru the LMO application process. Tedious but not difficult. If the nanny is already in Canada, they don't have to advertise (cuts two weeks off the process). Important to have the attestation and option C and since they already had a nanny/caregiver, they have a room for the nanny in their house.

How's you job hunting? All the best my friend.

madpotato said:
I Am in Alberta ,I pm you,thank you my friend

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Well I am certainly no expert, but I am really fairly confident that in order to receive an LMO for a live-in caregiver, you MUST advertise as required by HRSDC. It does not matter if the nanny is already in Canada, or whether she is in the program or not. CIC has recently changed their approach to TFW nannies - the only LMO's that will be issued for such nannies are LMO's for Live-in Caregiver nannies. These LMO's require full advertising.

If the nanny you want to hire is already in the Live-in Caregiver Program, then once you have the LMO, the process of her obtaining an appropriate work permit to come and work with you is not all that difficult.

HOWEVER, if the nanny you want to hire is in Canada, but NOT in the LCP, my very recent experience has been that it is much more complex and challenging for them to get into the program and come and work for you as a live-in nanny. In fact, it is such a pain in the a**, I would highly recommend that you not consider anyone who is not already in the program.

Good luck!!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
There was an old post from a member who came to Canada as a TFW and managed to get her WP/Visa in three weeks. Will try to locate it (been probably three years since that post was made) It is not impossible. There is a more recent one, a forum member from Victoria, BC (am getting ancient) who manage to change from caregiver (TFW) to caregiver (LCP) just last year. So those are two cases that have been posted in the forum. It is certainly tedious and sometimes nerve wracking getting the papers ready and waiting for the results.

The advertising requirement not being required for nannies already in Canada is a change that hasn't been played up but if you click on the link (freq asked questions) I pasted on madpotato's post, you'll see it.

lucybear05 said:
Well I am certainly no expert, but I am really fairly confident that in order to receive an LMO for a live-in caregiver, you MUST advertise as required by HRSDC. It does not matter if the nanny is already in Canada, or whether she is in the program or not. CIC has recently changed their approach to TFW nannies - the only LMO's that will be issued for such nannies are LMO's for Live-in Caregiver nannies. These LMO's require full advertising.

If the nanny you want to hire is already in the Live-in Caregiver Program, then once you have the LMO, the process of her obtaining an appropriate work permit to come and work with you is not all that difficult.

HOWEVER, if the nanny you want to hire is in Canada, but NOT in the LCP, my very recent experience has been that it is much more complex and challenging for them to get into the program and come and work for you as a live-in nanny. In fact, it is such a pain in the a**, I would highly recommend that you not consider anyone who is not already in the program.

Good luck!!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Ad requirement being waived:

33. I have identified a live-in caregiver already in Canada? Am I required to still advertise for 14 days?

No, the advertising and recruitment requirements are waived. The employer must apply to Service Canada for a labour market opinion and the worker must contact CIC to apply for a new work permit or to ensure that changes are reflected in her/his existing work permit

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/questions-answers/lcp.shtml#Q33

lucybear05 said:

Good luck!!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t31919.0.html

Please note era2007's post. The other member's "journey" was not documented on her posts but on our PMs.

But it is possible. The wait sometimes is unbearable and we worry if we did the procedures correctly.

lucybear05 said:

Good luck!!!

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Oh, I agree it's possible! I certainly hope so anyway, since we have agreed to hire a lady who is in Canada, but NOT in the LCP program at present, and we remain hopeful that we will be able to get her into the program and have her come work for us. But I have come to understand that for MANY reasons, it is not desireable to hire someone in this position. It is much quicker and easier, and less fraught with possible delay and other possible technical issues, to hire someone already in the program.

So I just wanted to warn the original poster of my personal experience. I regret having agreed to hire this woman. Had I been less concerned about crushing her hopes of getting into the program, I would have changed my mind and looked elsewhere once I discovered how difficult it would be and how much time it would take. We began the process in October, and it will likely be several more months before she can come work for us. Given the possible need for an interview in the U.S. (Buffalo) she must maintain her current work permit status with her current employer and we all must wait and wait and wait (and pray there is no interview required). Had she already been in the program, I have no doubt she would be working for us already.

In short, my friendly advice to anyone considering looking for a foreign nanny is to simply skip the headache and delay - hire someone in Canada already in the program. That's been a hard-learned lesson for us.