+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for PR card when soft landing?

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm planning to do my landing formalities this week. Landing by air at Toronto airport.

I've been reading conflicting updates on landing wrt the PR card itself. Some here have been asked for an address by the immigration, some have been told to apply for PR card when they move permanently.

1. Can someone please clarify what the difference is? Why would the officer take your PR address vs why not?
  2. If the officer does not take your address, is there another way to apply for a PR card while in Canada?
  3. Do we need to keep pictures handy for the PR card?
  4. If not, then how do you re-enter Canada when you move permanently? Will the COPR suffice?

shenanigans

Jul 22, 2021
1. Mostly they wont it seems like since mailing the PR card and receiving it requires YOUR signature. They didn't mail mine.
2. Yeah you tell the IRCC about a change of address when you finally reach there. You will get your PR Card no worries. None of the paperwork here is something you will miss out on :)
3. Nopes, no pictures needed. They have your picture in their system and on your COPR.
4. By land: You can always enter just by your stamped COPR, so keep it safe forever. By Air: You need to apply for temporary resident permit.

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
1. Mostly they wont it seems like since mailing the PR card and receiving it requires YOUR signature. They didn't mail mine.
2. Yeah you tell the IRCC about a change of address when you finally reach there. You will get your PR Card no worries. None of the paperwork here is something you will miss out on :)
3. Nopes, no pictures needed. They have your picture in their system and on your COPR.
4. By land: You can always enter just by your stamped COPR, so keep it safe forever. By Air: You need to apply for temporary resident permit.
Oh that's a bummer! I was reading about people giving their friends/relatives' address and getting it mailed there. Do you know when this change happened of requiring signatures?

Also, do you mean PRTD or temporary resident permit? Cuz once you land and get a signed COPR, you're a permanent resident right?