+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for Open Work Permit for Spouse?

chinik

Mar 20, 2013
Hi guys,

I am from India. I have been recently admitted to a prestigious MBA programme in Canada. I intend to take my wife along. She is a physiotherapist and she plans to work there after passing the licensing exams.

My question here is, is she allowed to work on the visitor visa? What is Open Work Permit and how can I apply for it? Can the work permit be obtained from Canada, or do we need to obtain it from India?

Looking forward for some quick insight as the visa processing centre in India does not provide complete info.

Thanks

jfalvitez

Oct 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
30-01-2017
Med's Done....
12-01-2017
i have the same question, im trying ti apply online, but in the questionnaire i found a question whiche says: "Why is your family member visiting Canada?" and the options are: work in a work permit exempt category, work (labour market opinion required) , work (other).... so which one i have to choose? plz help me,

belitang

Star Member
Sep 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
0213/2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2006
Doc's Request.
Nov 2009
AOR Received.
Oct 2006
File Transfer...
Mar 2010
VISA ISSUED...
terminated in regard to 'Jobs, Growth and Long-Term Prosperity Act,
chinik said:
My question here is, is she allowed to work on the visitor visa?
No she does not allow working if holding a visitor visa.

chinik said:
What is Open Work Permit and how can I apply for it?
It is special work permit for spouse of study permit or working permit holder. Open work permit do not need a job offer or a labour market opinion from Service Canada.

chinik said:
Can the work permit be obtained from Canada, or do we need to obtain it from India?
In my opinion, if your wife has already held a visitor visa then it is better to apply open work permit from Canada. If she have visitor visa and apply in Canada, she would apply for "Change Condition" instead of work permit.

belitang

Star Member
Sep 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
0213/2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2006
Doc's Request.
Nov 2009
AOR Received.
Oct 2006
File Transfer...
Mar 2010
VISA ISSUED...
jfalvitez said:
i have the same question, im trying ti apply online, but in the questionnaire i found a question whiche says: "Why is your family member visiting Canada?" and the options are: work in a work permit exempt category, work (labour market opinion required) , work (other).... so which one i have to choose? plz help me,
Do you apply the open work permit together with your spouse study permit application? Based on your info about the questionnaire you got, I guess you apply together with your spouse. If it is your case, we have the same situation. Here is my experience:

For the question "Why is your family member visiting Canada?", I answer: "Work (labor market opinion required)" but I think you can choose "work (other)".

If you choose "Work (labor market opinion required)", the system will request you to attach two additional documents, i.e. "Employment Contract" and "Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from HRSDC", which are not required for open work permit. In this case, I create two blank documents that I put a sort message in the document that I applied for open work permit hence the document is not applicable. Then in my wife letter of explanation, we explain the problem we faced when uploading these documents. So far, we did not get any trouble. My wife have already got interview call and they did not request those two documents.

I did a simple test with the "work (other)" and found that this choice do not request for such documents, so I think you better choose this one. It will required you to upload a letter of explanation. You can upload a letter that explain you will accompany your spouse study and you would apply open work permit.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

jfalvitez said:

1. Work (Other).

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

chinik said:
Hi guys,

I am from India. I have been recently admitted to a prestigious MBA programme in Canada. I intend to take my wife along. She is a physiotherapist and she plans to work there after passing the licensing exams.

My question here is, is she allowed to work on the visitor visa? What is Open Work Permit and how can I apply for it? Can the work permit be obtained from Canada, or do we need to obtain it from India?

Looking forward for some quick insight as the visa processing centre in India does not provide complete info.

Thanks

1. She is allowed to work on an Open Work Permit, she can apply at Port on the basis of your SP.

shebaby

Star Member
Nov 22, 2012
enfield said:
Hi,

1. She is allowed to work on an Open Work Permit, she can apply at Port on the basis of your SP.
so for example, i am already in Canada and my Husband is coming to visit, if he arrives Canada he can get the Open work Permit at the Port of entry? That will be so Cool then.

belitang

Star Member
Sep 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
0213/2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2006
Doc's Request.
Nov 2009
AOR Received.
Oct 2006
File Transfer...
Mar 2010
VISA ISSUED...
shebaby said:
so for example, i am already in Canada and my Husband is coming to visit, if he arrives Canada he can get the Open work Permit at the Port of entry? That will be so Cool then.
The only one that can apply work permit on port of entry is US citizen. If you have already been in Canada and your husband is not an US citizen, check following link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp how to apply work permit.

Anyway, your husband may need TRV to enter Canada.

Nadeem_jee

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2010
U.A.E
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2010
Doc's Request.
30-04-2010
Nomination.....
00-00-00
AOR Received.
30-04-2010/1st AOR
IELTS Request
01-04-2010
File Transfer...
9-06-2010/25-08-2010 2nd AOR
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
00-00-00
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
I am thinking to apply for TRV only at the moment for my wife because i am applying for september intake and for work permit(open and other) it takes 7 months from UAE. and for study it takes 2 months and for TRV 2 weeks. so what i feel its better to apply for TRV .. once i be in canada then will apply for her Open work permit....!!! because for september its 5 months remaining and processing time for work permit is 7 months!!!!!! do u think its a good idea?? and in TRV application checklist its mention to get an approval of absence leter from employer if someone wish trv.. but in uae no employer will give u letter of absence if u are going on a TRv with husband for a year because here work permit issues for 2 years who will alow u to go?? so definately one has to leave job??? so i think i wil not submit this letter!!

!!

aliakbar1625

Mar 5, 2014
Hi every one.
I have a postdoc offer with some stipend mentioned in my offer letter and my wife has a research offer without any compensation from the same university. My wife will accompany me and now we are going to apply for the visa.

We have some troubles in providing answers for the online questionnaire. My first question is that what shall I choose in response to the question: "What type of work permit do you want to apply for?"
(My choice is "work permit with a labour market opinion exemption")

My second question arises when facing with "Why is your family member visiting Canada?". If found if I choose "Work (labour market opinion required)", the system asks for two documents: job offer and LMO letter. we can upload our job offer but we do not have any LMO letter to upload. Also, if we choose "Work (other)", the system does not ask for these documents but in this case, we can not show we have a job offer for my wife and this might cause a bad result for the visa issuance.

I will appreciate the members if they kindly help us with this issue.

Eveei

Mar 5, 2014
Hi chinik, I have the same queries now for my husband. I'm a student in Canada, came in January intake and my husband is working in Cyprus. I want to apply him open work permit. Did your wife came in Canada in OWP? Can you give me some suggestions.

Thank you.

ahpatel

Mar 6, 2014
hello,
I also have same query.
I am applying for student visa can i take my wife along with me on open work permit.
please reply at ur earliest.
thank you.

livingwater

Mar 5, 2014
There are some rumors about spouse work permit for SPP programme starting this Jan 2014.
Is that true? One of the agents I spoke with provided me one link for the same.
Has canada started student spouse application under SPP?

raj_009

Star Member
Oct 3, 2013
livingwater said:
There are some rumors about spouse work permit for SPP programme starting this Jan 2014.
Is that true? One of the agents I spoke with provided me one link for the same.
Has canada started student spouse application under SPP?
For all of you who intend to take ur spouse along, here is the info u all are looking for. My friend did it in 2012 july for his sep intake and got his and wife's visa with TRV & OWP. I am too applying for sep intake with my spouse, just admission letter is awaited. Here are the details:

1) u may apply online together for ur study permit and ur spouse's TRV with OWP. As an alternate, u may 1st apply only for ur SP and after u get it and land in canada, u may apply online for TRV and OWP for ur spouse.
2) U need to choose Work permit (LMO exempt category), since this is the category applicable for spouse visa where no LMO is reqd. If u choose with LMO, u need to submit the LMO, failing to do which might create complexions.
3) When applying separetely for spouse TRV and OWP, u need to upload ur won SP along with ur marriage certificate, proof of funds( normally 4000CAD ) to support spouse living expenses. Letter of intention stating why she/he should come to canada and her/his stong ties to ur home country to hint the VO that u both shall return to ur home country after ur studies and that purpose of spouse visit is only fulfilling basic emotional support.
4) u need to upload docs only those that are mentioned and asked for online. dont upload anything additional since that will call for delays and intricacies. ATB______________