+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Apply for Dependent Spouse Visa While Staying in Canada on Work Permit?

mail2jimmy747

Nov 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
May 20, 2014
AOR Received.
July 8, 2014
IELTS Request
Submitted With the Application
Med's Request
May 15, 2015
Med's Done....
May 22, 2015
LANDED..........
Landed
Hi Forum Members,

I am living in Ontario and currently obtaining a Full Time Open Work Permit which is valid for next two and half years.

I am also working as a full time employee with an origination located in Ontario. Now I want to call my wife from India to Canada to join me for the time rest of the time I am going to spend in Canada(planning to stay until my work permit is valid).

I already applied for a Visitor Visa for her but Visa officer refused the application by saying that he(visa officer) is not convinced that applicant(my wife) will leave country after her stay.

I heard that I or my wife can also apply under dependent spouse visa category and upon approval she will get a work permit which will valid until the date my work permit is valid.

I searched about this on internet and got the following form for applying dependent spouse visa but after reading this form, it looks like that this form is only for the Canadian citizens and PRs

FORM NAME: Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344]

Please can anyone let me know that which forms we need have to apply for dependent spouse visa and what will be processing time for application in India???

Thanks,
Jimmy

PRINCECOOL

Apr 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mail2jimmy747 said:
Hi Forum Members,

I am living in Ontario and currently obtaining a Full Time Open Work Permit which is valid for next two and half years.

I am also working as a full time employee with an origination located in Ontario. Now I want to call my wife from India to Canada to join me for the time rest of the time I am going to spend in Canada(planning to stay until my work permit is valid).

I already applied for a Visitor Visa for her but Visa officer refused the application by saying that he(visa officer) is not convinced that applicant(my wife) will leave country after her stay.

I heard that I or my wife can also apply under dependent spouse visa category and upon approval she will get a work permit which will valid until the date my work permit is valid.

I searched about this on internet and got the following form for applying dependent spouse visa but after reading this form, it looks like that this form is only for the Canadian citizens and PRs

FORM NAME: Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344]

Please can anyone let me know that which forms we need have to apply for dependent spouse visa and what will be processing time for application in India???

Thanks,
Jimmy
According to this CIC page, If you are authorized to work in Canada, your accompanying family members may also be able to work in this country by virtue of the permit you were issued. Check with CIC webpage. Temporary workers—Work in Canada.

If your family members want to work in Canada

If you are authorized to work in Canada, your accompanying family members may also be able to work in this country by virtue of the permit you were issued. No other authorization is required. If they intend to work while in Canada, your accompanying family members should find out if they are eligible for an “open” work permit.

Open work permits allow them to work in any job with any employer. An open work permit also means that they may be hired without the employer having to obtain an LMO (the normal authorization required). Certain jobs may require medical checks or licensing from professional organizations. Accompanying family members' work permits will be valid for no longer than the duration of your own work permit.

Typically, your spouse's eligibility for an open work permit depends on the skill level of your job. If the job you are doing is listed as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) 0, A or B, your spouse or common-law partner could be eligible for an open work permit. You must also be authorized to work in Canada for a period of at least six months.

If you are working in an occupation that requires a lower level of formal training, your spouse may also be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project. Find out more.

In addition, your dependent children may be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project. Find out more.

Accompanying family members must always apply for their own work permits. They should apply for one at the same time as you, before entering Canada. Should the decision to work occur only after their arrival in Canada, they can apply once they are in this country.

If you are the holder of a Post-Graduation Work Permit, which is a type of open work permit, your spouse will need to attach a copy of your work permit to his or her application for an open work permit. Your spouse will also need to provide information about your employment by attaching supporting documents, including the following:

A letter from your current employer confirming employment or a copy of your employment offer or contract; AND
A copy of one of your pay slips.

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
mail2jimmy747 said:
Hi Forum Members,

Thanks,
Jimmy

I wonder if your wife can apply for a work permit directly from India because it's very difficult to get a visitor's visa since a spouse has to prove they'll go back after the duration of their visa,if you are in Canada and probably have no children left behind in India,then the officer knows a spouse is not likely to go back!.....There is a forum about foreign workers where you can get more information.Best of luck

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mail2jimmy747 said:
Hi Forum Members,

Thanks,
Jimmy
She needs to use this application package : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

You don't apply for her. She applies herself. She will need a copy of the marriage certificate, your work permit, and your job duties certifying your NOC code as A, B, or 0 in addition to the documents required in the checklist. She can write "Spouse Open Work Permit" in the places it asks about arranged employment/LMO or N/A. She needs to make sure to put it's a spouse permit somewhere though so the VO knows (because they can't read our minds!) :)

Hope this helps.

mail2jimmy747

Nov 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
May 20, 2014
AOR Received.
July 8, 2014
IELTS Request
Submitted With the Application
Med's Request
May 15, 2015
Med's Done....
May 22, 2015
LANDED..........
Landed
Thanks everyone for providing useful information. Now I am feeling that I am on right track.

I am tried to fill out the application form "Application for Work Permit Made Outside Canada [IMM 1295]" on computer (so that I can get bar code page also) which I downloaded from the link provided by Amikety.

Since my wife is going to apply for "dependent spouse open work permit" from India and she does not have job in Canada. So while filling out the application form I left employment related fields blank because those fields are not applicable and when I pressed "Validate" button I got error message about those blank fields.

Screen short for error is here: s17.postimg.org/apbhqvk73/form.jpg

please copy given URL into brower's address bar and click enter to see screen shot.

So I just want to know that is it acceptable that applicant does not have job in Canada while applying for work permit but his/her spouse has job in Canada?

What can we do the fields related to employment in the form in our case? Can we take print out the black form and fill it out with hand (in this case we will not have bar code page)? Will Visa Officer will accept form with the blank fields?

Thanks,
Jimmy

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Type in "Spouse Open Work Permit" in that field. It should solve your problem.

Jainish Patel

Aug 6, 2015
hello every one..
I m new to this group and i need help.
I have a 3 year post graduate open work permit.
I am married and want to bring my wife here in canada but i don't have any idea how can i make a dependent spouse visa file.
can anyone help me out here...????

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Jainish Patel said:
hello every one..
I m new to this group and i need help.
I have a 3 year post graduate open work permit.
I am married and want to bring my wife here in canada but i don't have any idea how can i make a dependent spouse visa file.
can anyone help me out here...????
Post in the Foreign Workers section of the forum. This section is for Canadian citizens/PRs sponsoring family members.

dipens

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
PRINCECOOL said:
According to this CIC page, If you are authorized to work in Canada, your accompanying family members may also be able to work in this country by virtue of the permit you were issued. Check with CIC webpage. Temporary workers—Work in Canada.

If your family members want to work in Canada

If you are authorized to work in Canada, your accompanying family members may also be able to work in this country by virtue of the permit you were issued. No other authorization is required. If they intend to work while in Canada, your accompanying family members should find out if they are eligible for an “open” work permit.

Open work permits allow them to work in any job with any employer. An open work permit also means that they may be hired without the employer having to obtain an LMO (the normal authorization required). Certain jobs may require medical checks or licensing from professional organizations. Accompanying family members' work permits will be valid for no longer than the duration of your own work permit.

Typically, your spouse's eligibility for an open work permit depends on the skill level of your job. If the job you are doing is listed as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) 0, A or B, your spouse or common-law partner could be eligible for an open work permit. You must also be authorized to work in Canada for a period of at least six months.

If you are working in an occupation that requires a lower level of formal training, your spouse may also be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project. Find out more.

In addition, your dependent children may be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project. Find out more.

Accompanying family members must always apply for their own work permits. They should apply for one at the same time as you, before entering Canada. Should the decision to work occur only after their arrival in Canada, they can apply once they are in this country.

If you are the holder of a Post-Graduation Work Permit, which is a type of open work permit, your spouse will need to attach a copy of your work permit to his or her application for an open work permit. Your spouse will also need to provide information about your employment by attaching supporting documents, including the following:

A letter from your current employer confirming employment or a copy of your employment offer or contract; AND

Hi,

I did try to apply for this under the same procedure which you instructed. CIC is asking me for my spouse details. but its not asking me

as you said it will. Its also not asking me to attach my open work permit. All its asking is my name in IMM1295, marriage certificate, etc. but nowhere close to the documents you mentioned. Can you tell me where can I go at CIC website and apply for it the right way?

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
dipens said:
I did try to apply for this under the same procedure which you instructed. CIC is asking me for my spouse details. but its not asking me

as you said it will. Its also not asking me to attach my open work permit. All its asking is my name in IMM1295, marriage certificate, etc. but nowhere close to the documents you mentioned. Can you tell me where can I go at CIC website and apply for it the right way?
Post in the Foreign Workers section of the forum. This section is for Canadian citizens/PRs sponsoring family members.

D123

Mar 16, 2015
Hello Friends,

I am a permanent resident of Canada. I recently went to India for vacation and got married. I am back in Canada now, and I would like to call my wife here to stay with me. As sponshership program takes 12 months :

- Is it possible that I apply a Visitors visa for her and bring her here, and parallaly I apply for Spousal sponsorship ?
- Would she be eligible to apply for Health card if she is here in Visitors Visa ?
- What is the difference between Visitors visa and Dependent Visa ?

Please clear my confusion. Thanks a lot for yor feedback

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
D123 said:
- Is it possible that I apply a Visitors visa for her and bring her here, and parallaly I apply for Spousal sponsorship ?

- Would she be eligible to apply for Health card if she is here in Visitors Visa ?

Hi

You can apply for a TRV but with a PR spouse in Canada, her chances of approval are low. She will need to show significant tips to India.

What province do you live in?

A visitor visa actually exists. There is no such thing a a dependent visa.

ankitban.27

Star Member
Mar 11, 2017
Hello Friends,

I am a permanent resident of Canada. I recently went to India for vacation and got married. I am back in Canada now, and I would like to call my wife here to stay with me. As sponshership program takes 12 months :

Hi buddy. One of my friend is in same situation.what have you done?

wanderer88

May 1, 2019
Hello Friends,

So what did you finally do? any help in this matter will be really helpful.
I am in the same situation. My wife is a PR, Im planning to go on a visitor Visa to Canada and apply for PR under spousal sponsorship and simultaneously apply for spouse open work permit. But am scared that there might be issues obtaining a visitor visa.
Secondly, please let me know if spouse open work permit can be applied while im in India. All the info on webpages say that I have to apply for PR from within Canada in order to apply for SOWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So what did you finally do? any help in this matter will be really helpful.
I am in the same situation. My wife is a PR, Im planning to go on a visitor Visa to Canada and apply for PR under spousal sponsorship and simultaneously apply for spouse open work permit. But am scared that there might be issues obtaining a visitor visa.
Secondly, please let me know if spouse open work permit can be applied while im in India. All the info on webpages say that I have to apply for PR from within Canada in order to apply for SOWP.
You must be in Canada and apply for PR inland to qualify for an open work permit. You cannot apply from India. SOWPs are for situations where the spouse is in Canada on a temporary work permit or international student visa - so this situation doesn't apply to you.

Yes - it's possible you may have issues getting a visitor visa. To be approved, you want to show that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.