+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for CA PR extn without fulfilling 720 days criteria

Aug 13, 2018
Hello Everyone, Reaching out to this forum to help me decide on my PR. I got my CA PR in Sep'2019 and completed landing formalities by Sep'19. I moved there with my family on an IT job transfer from my organization in India to CA. Unfortunately, the project i was working had to be shut down and it was the time covid hit. My organization had asked me to move back to India and I came back by Mid Jan 2020. I was in CA only for 4 months with my PR. I could not go back till now with Covid around till late 2021 and other family obligations here in India. Now my PR is expiring this Sep'24. Is there a way I can apply for an renewal of my PR given that i was in CAonly for 4 months.

Kindly note that I am the primary applicant and my husband's and son were my dependents. I will not be able to prove that my organization sent me back, as there is nothing in writing except for return travel requests raised by me. Unable to travel back due to covid and family obligations are the reasons. Can someone help throw light on any possibility of me renewing my Pt without muc hassels.

Looking forward
Thanks
SP

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Everyone, Reaching out to this forum to help me decide on my PR. I got my CA PR in Sep'2019 and completed landing formalities by Sep'19. I moved there with my family on an IT job transfer from my organization in India to CA. Unfortunately, the project i was working had to be shut down and it was the time covid hit. My organization had asked me to move back to India and I came back by Mid Jan 2020. I was in CA only for 4 months with my PR. I could not go back till now with Covid around till late 2021 and other family obligations here in India. Now my PR is expiring this Sep'24. Is there a way I can apply for an renewal of my PR given that i was in CAonly for 4 months.

Kindly note that I am the primary applicant and my husband's and son were my dependents. I will not be able to prove that my organization sent me back, as there is nothing in writing except for return travel requests raised by me. Unable to travel back due to covid and family obligations are the reasons. Can someone help throw light on any possibility of me renewing my Pt without muc hassels.

Looking forward
Thanks
SP
So you all have returned to Canada? Covid is no longer a reason as you have had several years to return.

There is no way to renew until you live in Canada and meet residency obligations. Same for your spouse and son.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Looking forward
Thanks
SP
There is no easy path for you.

You should not apply to renew your PR card until you meed the residency obligations. It is possible to apply to renew your PR card under H&C considerations. However you must be in Canada to do this and the reasons you have listed above about why you remained out of Canada will not be accepted under H&C. Can you provide further details on what family obligations made you remain outside of Canada? Employment reasons are not accepted under H&C. So the fact the company asked you to move back will not help at all.

You should return to Canada as soon as you can with your family and then remain in Canada for 2 years without leaving. You can then apply to renew your PR card.

Aug 13, 2018
Thanks for your responses. Will I be allowed at the port of entry with a Sep24 PR card expiry?

Even if they allow, can I continue staying back for 2 years with an expired PR?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Looking forward
Thanks
SP
Just want to add that your PR is NOT expiring; the PR Card expires, but status does not.

However...while you will be allowed to enter Canada with your valid PR Card, there's a chance that the CBSA officer will write a 44(1) report for not meeting the Residency Obligation to maintain status. This would still allow you to enter, but is the first step toward revoking PR status.

Aug 13, 2018
Ok does that mean that if the officer files a report after I enter, will I be asked to leave? I am sorry about too many questions,but want to be sure. Once I enter i will stay to meet RO

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok does that mean that if the officer files a report after I enter, will I be asked to leave? I am sorry about too many questions,but want to be sure. Once I enter i will stay to meet RO
If you are reported, IRCC will move to revoke your PR status and you will need to appeal.

Aug 13, 2018
If you are reported, IRCC will move to revoke your PR status and you will need to appeal.
1)How do I know that I am reported?
2) Also will I be asked.to leave the country or can I stay back for appeal?
3) Will it be expensive to appeal? Can I do it on my own or.will I have to go through an immigration lawyer?
4) what are the chances that officer gets me reported?
5) does it lead some sort of punishable offence?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1)How do I know that I am reported?
2) Also will I be asked.to leave the country or can I stay back for appeal?
3) Will it be expensive to appeal? Can I do it on my own or.will I have to go through an immigration lawyer?
4) what are the chances that officer gets me reported?
5) does it lead some sort of punishable offence?
1) You will be given a piece of paper by CBSA
2) You should remain in Canada without leaving if you want to appeal
3) Your choice if you hire a lawyer or not
4) No one can tell you that
5) No

Reactions: saitakemetocanada