+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to answer question 3 in IMM5710E form?

Blackearth

Mar 10, 2021
Hi,
I am currently on study permit and my wife is on open work permit, and she is currently working in Canada. Recently I applied for my study permit extension and my wife's OWP extension. I was the main applicant. In the form imm5710e (for my wife) was a question: "I am applying for one or more of the following: 1) Apply for a work permit with the same employer 2) Apply for a work permit for the first time or a new employer 3) Restore my status as a worker 4) Get a new temporary resident permit".

I selected 1, as my thinking was - she is currently working for an employer. However, in the Details of intended work section in the same form, I selected "Open work permit" and left all other fields (related to information of the employer) blank. In the employment section, I provided her current employment information.

However, I am confused now since one of my friends told me that I should have selected 2) Apply for a work permit for the first time or a new employer - since this is an application for an open work permit.

What should I do now?
Should I contact IRCC about this mistake? How should I contact them?

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
If you feel like you made a mistake, refill the form the right way, then submit it via a webform explaining the error.

Blackearth

Mar 10, 2021
If you feel like you made a mistake, refill the form the right way, then submit it via a webform explaining the error.
Thanks for your response. Actually, before I submit a correction via webform, I want to make sure if it is actually a mistake. This is because the option "2) Apply for a work permit for the first time or a new employer" still does not fill fit to me. My wife is not applying for a work permit for the first time, and not applying for a work permit for a new employer (she is working with same employer for last one year, and has not applied for any new job).

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Thanks for your response. Actually, before I submit a correction via webform, I want to make sure if it is actually a mistake. This is because the option "2) Apply for a work permit for the first time or a new employer" still does not fill fit to me. My wife is not applying for a work permit for the first time, and not applying for a work permit for a new employer (she is working with same employer for last one year, and has not applied for any new job).
If your wife was on an open work permit and you selected open work permit. they will see her previous work permit and they will know.

RussellCat

May 3, 2019
Hi,
I am currently on study permit and my wife is on open work permit, and she is currently working in Canada. Recently I applied for my study permit extension and my wife's OWP extension. I was the main applicant. In the form imm5710e (for my wife) was a question: "I am applying for one or more of the following: 1) Apply for a work permit with the same employer 2) Apply for a work permit for the first time or a new employer 3) Restore my status as a worker 4) Get a new temporary resident permit".

I selected 1, as my thinking was - she is currently working for an employer. However, in the Details of intended work section in the same form, I selected "Open work permit" and left all other fields (related to information of the employer) blank. In the employment section, I provided her current employment information.

However, I am confused now since one of my friends told me that I should have selected 2) Apply for a work permit for the first time or a new employer - since this is an application for an open work permit.

What should I do now?

Hi! I am in the same situation as you. What did you end up doing? I want to extend my partner's work permit., and don't know how to answer that question.

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
Hi,

Did you get SOWP extension based on choosing option 1?
I am also in same boat and didn't get satisfactory answer on whether to choose option 1 or 2. Any guidance or URL to confirm would be really helpful.

Also do you know how to apply as paper application as I cic URL link is broken for applying paper application and I find flagpoling could be risky in future when apply for US or any other country's visa? Thanks.

graze22

Nov 19, 2022
Hi,

What should I do now?
Hi! I am same situation with you sir. If you chose option 1. Did you provide a LMIA from the employer of your wife? Please reply thank you