+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to answer have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
I am at a loss here. Here's a brief summary of what happened to me:

I was born and raised in the Philippines. I was granted permanent residency at birth because my parents were already permanent residents at the time of my birth. About five years ago, while renewing my permanent resident card and filing for a change of address, the bureau of immigration looked into my file and said that I shouldn't have been issued permanent residency as my parents weren't permanent residents yet when I was born. They asked for an explanation and our agent just told them I was young and a nice person and all, without providing sufficient evidence as to why I was a rightful permanent resident cardholder (evidence that my parents became permanent residents months before I was born). They were not satisfied with the explanation, which led to them issuing an order asking me to downgrade my status and to secure the appropriate visa. I was young at the time and didn't understand the gravity of the situation.

About two years ago, I realized that they were wrong to ask me to downgrade my status. We got another agent and I gave them all the evidence showing that my parents were already lawful permanent residents when I was born. They looked into my file again, and after about a year, the bureau of immigration issued another order reinstating my status as a permanent resident. My agent told me that my status is clear now and it would show as if nothing ever happened, but I am still worried.

I don't know what to do now. Should I check yes or no? :(

Last edited:

Dchosen1

Aug 11, 2021
What kind of PR are you talking about?

So far as I understand, this is not a visa refusal or rejection. However, if you were asked to leave the country, you should tick yes and then provide a brief explanation or remark; They would know anyways. If they check and it’s not important, they’ll just skip it.

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
What kind of PR are you talking about?

So far as I understand, this is not a visa refusal or rejection. However, if you were asked to leave the country, you should tick yes and then provide a brief explanation or remark; They would know anyways. If they check and it’s not important, they’ll just skip it.
A permanent resident of the Philippines. I got my PR status back. I wasn't asked to leave the country, just to downgrade my status and secure the appropriate visa. My agent advised me not to do that because I would lose my chance to fight to get my PR back once I downgrade. Eventually, I did get it back. Does visa forfeiture count here if it was reinstated? :(

Dchosen1

Aug 11, 2021
So what’s your nationality?
If the process didn’t require you to apply for a visa, the question does not apply to you. Usually, this information can be verified if you provided fingerprints, photos or filled an application form with the appropriate authority. If nothing of that sort happened, there is no way to prove that you were refused or denied a visa or whatever it can possibly be called. However, if you just want to explain this, you can tick yes and provide this information. If they check and nothing shows up, it will be irrelevant to them.

Reactions: justbeelieve

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
So what’s your nationality?
If the process didn’t require you to apply for a visa, the question does not apply to you. Usually, this information can be verified if you provided fingerprints, photos or filled an application form with the appropriate authority. If nothing of that sort happened, there is no way to prove that you were refused or denied a visa or whatever it can possibly be called. However, if you just want to explain this, you can tick yes and provide this information. If they check and nothing shows up, it will be irrelevant to them.
I hold an Indian passport. I definitely didn't need to apply for a visa as my parents applied for a permanent resident visa for me when I was a baby and I got approved. I was just trying to get my PR card renewed when this whole mess occurred. Should I be worried that I technically "overstayed" since I didn't downgrade and secure the appropriate visa like they asked me to? My permanent resident status is valid once again, so if the Philippines doesn't have a problem with it, they shouldn't either right?

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hold an Indian passport. I definitely didn't need to apply for a visa as my parents applied for a permanent resident visa for me when I was a baby and I got approved. I was just trying to get my PR card renewed when this whole mess occurred. Should I be worried that I technically "overstayed" since I didn't downgrade and secure the appropriate visa like they asked me to? My permanent resident status is valid once again, so if the Philippines doesn't have a problem with it, they shouldn't either right?
There shouldn't be a problem since its their oversight. If you are still worried, attach an explanation letter to your application.

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And by the way, you have to choose Yes.

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
I am just worried that choosing Yes would lead to my rejection as it would make my case more complicated though no fault of my own. I'm already having issues with the hometies requirement as I don't own any properties or anything and am planning on using my PR here as one of the reasons I'd return to the Philippines. If I do click "yes" what would I be agreeing to, as they're not really asking if I overstayed right?

I was actually asked to pay all my pending annual report fees from the past five years, which is an annual payment only required from all registered aliens except Temporary Visitor’s Visa holders or Tourist Visa holders in the Philippines. If I was out of status for those years. they shouldn't have required me to pay right? Is there a possibility that my record is actually clear and it would be as if nothing even happened? Can I get away with just choosing No? :/

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
Also, would they even have access to these records? I know they have a partnership with Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States so they can easily pull up someone's records to see if they have been declined a visa or overstayed in those countries. But the case might be different for a developing country like the Philippines, right?

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am just worried that choosing Yes would lead to my rejection as it would make my case more complicated though no fault of my own. I'm already having issues with the hometies requirement as I don't own any properties or anything and am planning on using my PR here as one of the reasons I'd return to the Philippines. If I do click "yes" what would I be agreeing to, as they're not really asking if I overstayed right?

I was actually asked to pay all my pending annual report fees from the past five years, which is an annual payment only required from all registered aliens except Temporary Visitor’s Visa holders or Tourist Visa holders in the Philippines. If I was out of status for those years. they shouldn't have required me to pay right? Is there a possibility that my record is actually clear and it would be as if nothing even happened? Can I get away with just choosing No? :/
Choosing Yes and giving detailed explanation would be the ideal choice. Visa officers dont reject the applications based on past visa rejections alone. Yours is a peculiar case and the officer would understand if you can submit proof.

It is better to tell them by ourselves than letting them find out.

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
Choosing Yes and giving detailed explanation would be the ideal choice. Visa officers dont reject the applications based on past visa rejections alone. Yours is a peculiar case and the officer would understand if you can submit proof.

It is better to tell them by ourselves than letting them find out.
I won't be opening a can of worms for no reason, right? I only have my aging parents and my PR here as my hometies so I'm a bit scared that they would think my status here isn't as permanent. If I do click "yes" how would I explain it? Should I say, "I was not denied a visa, but there was once an issue with the renewal of my Philippine PR card due to an error on the bureau of immigration's part. This has been resolved now." Is there a better way to phrase this? :/

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I won't be opening a can of worms for no reason, right? I only have my aging parents and my PR here as my hometies so I'm a bit scared that they would think my status here isn't as permanent. If I do click "yes" how would I explain it? Should I say, "I was not denied a visa, but there was once an issue with the renewal of my Philippine PR card due to an error on the bureau of immigration's part. This has been resolved now." Is there a better way to phrase this? :/
Why would you tick YES for something that does not mean YES? You are Permanent Resident, Had some misunderstanding with the Immigration but it was sorted out. You were not denied visa or asked to leave Phillipines...You may be overthinking, but the question is straight forward with straight answer, NO

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
Why would you tick YES for something that does not mean YES? You are Permanent Resident, Had some misunderstanding with the Immigration but it was sorted out. You were not denied visa or asked to leave Phillipines...You may be overthinking, but the question is straight forward with straight answer, NO
I'm just really worried about getting banned, so I might be overthinking this. :( My permanent resident native-born status was forfeited when I was trying to get my permanent resident card renewed, so they basically canceled my status and asked me to downgrade to a tourist visa. Would this not count as getting denied for a visa?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I'm just really worried about getting banned, so I might be overthinking this. :( My permanent resident native-born status was forfeited when I was trying to get my permanent resident card renewed, so they basically canceled my status and asked me to downgrade to a tourist visa. Would this not count as getting denied for a visa?
The question is: Does that question apply to you? the answer is NOT

"have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?"