+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to and the steps to start a process

Dano1234

Dec 7, 2009
Hello,
Me and my partner have decided to start the immigration process for me to move to Canada on a permanent basis. I’m from the UK and have been looking up on how we should do this and just wanted to make sure we know the correct way to do this. So here’s how I think we should start and would really appreciate it if you guys would help me by reading through and correcting me if there’s any errors. Many thanks

• I’m being sponsored as a conjugal partner
• So I should do these in this order? ( please correct any errors many thanks again)

1. Fill Out The required forms for permanent residence ( wait)
2. Under go and pass a visa medical and criminal background check
3. Wait for the correct certificates from medical and check
4. Send all my forms for permanent residence along with my the correct documents( medical etc ) and proof of a relationship to my sponsor
5. Then Along with her application for sponsorship and my application permanent residence and all the proof and documents send to the correct office ( I do believe its (CPC) in Mississauga, Ontario)
6. Then wait till told whets next?

I’ve researched allot but am really not sure of the way to start the process. Would be eternally grateful if sum one with a better knowledge than me could tell me where to start and how to go about it all many thanks.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Before you apply as a conjugal partner you should be aware that you only may apply if there were extraordinary circumstances that made it impossible for you and your partner to either marry or live together for twelve months. If you carry a UK passport I'm sad to say that I don't see how you'd get your application approved, since no such extraordinary circumstances should exist. :(

Dano1234

Dec 7, 2009
I see your point yes i do hold a full UK passport. So maybe conjugal like you say would not be approved what then would your advise be is there a better route to take. Any advise on what the best route to take for a young UK male lookin to move to canada to be with his GF would be awesome thank you very much for your help and advice

wasted_year

Nov 19, 2009
why not have your girlfriend sponsor you over via family-class out of country common-law? while the application is being processes you can still come over to canada and stay with her since you have a uk passport. out of country vs in country is much faster.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Dano1234 said:
I see your point yes i do hold a full UK passport. So maybe conjugal like you say would not be approved what then would your advise be is there a better route to take. Any advise on what the best route to take for a young UK male lookin to move to canada to be with his GF would be awesome thank you very much for your help and advice
Is there a Canada-UK youth exchange program that can help you get a work permit? That way you could live together for a year and you could apply as a common-law partner. The other alternative is to get married.

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
Take a look at Bunac http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

It will be much easier for you to get a common law spouse visa rather than conjugal as you are from the UK. You need to have lived together for one year to be considered common law sspouse by immigration. If you meet the requirements of a Bunac visa you can enter Canada for one year and work, after the year is up you will be eligible to be sponsored under the common law spouse category.

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
BUNAC will not approve anyone who has a significant other of any sort in Canada. When my husband and I were dating we called to ask a few questions - he said the word "girlfriend" and they more or less hung up on him, as they wanted no part of it. The only way to do it would be to exclude information in the visa process which is a horrible idea (ask some of the people on here who are having troubles right now as they excluded their spouse at entry).

My 2 cents... get married! If you're ready to uproot your life, you should be ready to devote it!

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
Bunac is still a Visa, and if you are caught ommitting facts it can be considered as bad as lying.

I don't think anyone "simply" has a visa of any sort, it's serious stuff - but to each thier own. We weren't willing to take risks.

Good luck Dano!

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
looking over the forms I see more questions now about relationship status. I am sure I didn't have those questions because I would not have lied on a form. I do not remember being asked at any point. In fact even when I applied for permanent residency I told them how I got in the country for a year and got approved. So I was honest. Whether you want to risk the lie is a personal choice.

When I applied and asked about the rules on other halves I was told the following:

1.The Canadian High Commission has informed us about a change in their policy which may affect some people who are currently on Work Canada. Anyone with dependents are no longer eligible for the open work authorisation which is the work permit you obtain through Work Canada. You are considered to have dependents if:
I. You have a Canadian fiancé(e)/husband/wife/common law partner OR
II. You have a British fiancé(e)/husband/wife/common law partner who IS NOT also applying for this programme.
If you have a British partner who is also participating on Work Canada then you ARE both still eligible to go on the programme. If you feel this change will affect you please contact us immediately.
But as we were newly dating we didn't seem to fit those catagories? Oh well what's done is done. Obviously rules have changed.

All that aside your other option is to come to Canada as a visitor for 6 months, extend the stay for another 6 months and then apply.

Dano1234

Dec 7, 2009
Thank you all for your advice and help so far from reading I see that common law is the recommended way to go this is great but means I have to live in Canada for 12months correct? So can I ask for your advice once more as on what's the best route to go along to live in Canada for 12 months (My Partner lives in Quebec and that may affect my visas) would student visa or work permit be the right path to start on?is there other paths

Thanks to all for your Help and advice

Dano1234

Dec 7, 2009
Ssarah183 said:
All that aside your other option is to come to Canada as a visitor for 6 months, extend the stay for another 6 months and then apply.
After Many Phone calls to Canada and research online it looks like the 1st step for me is to try as you suggest Ssarah183, And Visit Canada for 6 months and extend. In what way do I go about this? When coming into Canada will I need any documents like proof of funds for the 6 months, and coming to Canada for 6months am I still visa exempt?

Many thanks to All for your help and support

The Littlest Hobo

Star Member
Nov 13, 2009
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
File Transfer...
7-12-2009
Passport Req..
18-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
3-02-2010
LANDED..........
20-03-2010
I think you can find info in the CIC website under "coming to canada as a visitor", I've never read that bit but I've noticed it there a few times. Would probably be the place to start looking. I dunno much about it but I think I can clarify one thing: you are from a "visa exempt" country, so you are automatically allowed in as a visitor without making special arrangements, you just buy your ticket and board the plane (unless the immigration officer at the border things you're not going to leave, or other exceptional circumstances), people from China or Hungary or Pakistan may not have this arrangement with our government. But when you want to stay longer than the normal visit (if you say it's 6-months,I believe you, though that seems crazy cuz EU only allows people in for 3!) you need to apply to extend your stay, that's all. It doesn't change the fact that UK passport holders are visa exempt for an ordinary visit. Just be wary, as I've noticed on here that you need to apply for an extension well before your existing visitor's visa expires, I think I read 2 months, but am not certain.

I believe during that time you may not study or work in Canada and it seems quite impossible to find a way around that, so I hope you have something fun to do, like renovate the house or teach yourself French or bake pies for your girlfriend ;) or prepare your immigration file! LOL

Good luck,
TLH

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
Yup as a visitor you are not able to work in Canada. You may have to prove that you have enough funds to get into the country but it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just have a return ticket. As for the extension after 6 months you will again probably need to prove that you can support yourself.

Here is a tip, if you book air canada their website doesn't allow you to book a ticket for 1 year. So book it for 6 months time and then call the call centre, tell the call centre you wanted to book for one year and their website wouldn't allow it. Then they will be able to allow you a free ticket change (instead of paying $150) When it comes time to extending your ticket/stay you shouldn't have to pay anything unless there is a big fare difference.

Dano1234

Dec 7, 2009
THanks Guys

Just wasnt sure cause like TLH said 6 months seems a long time but that is what the cic webpage says just wasnt sure :)

So ill get right on it book a flight as u suggest Ssarah183 :)

Proof of funds shouldnt be to hard i have some savings here in england.

One last Question if i may ..... When it comes to proving funds for the visit do i need to bring all it with me or will like a bank statment be enough?

Many thanks once again u ppl are great :)

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Dano1234 said:
THanks Guys

Just wasnt sure cause like TLH said 6 months seems a long time but that is what the cic webpage says just wasnt sure :)

So ill get right on it book a flight as u suggest Ssarah183 :)

Proof of funds shouldnt be to hard i have some savings here in england.

One last Question if i may ..... When it comes to proving funds for the visit do i need to bring all it with me or will like a bank statment be enough?

Many thanks once again u ppl are great :)
I'm sure an official looking paper from the bank will suffice.