+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How strict is Imm. Canada with sponsorship instructions?

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
Hi there - The documents checklist notes that the medical receipt (which you get once you complete the medical) and police clearance must be submitted within the package at the time you send it to Mississauga (outland). Please reference number 26 & 27 on the link below. I guess it is up to you what to do, however if CIC lists it as something which should be included in the package, I would that it is pretty important to! The ability for you to send it later may be for inland as they generally have a longer wait time and it would be compltely unfair to ask an applicant to send it when it could potentially expire before processing is complete. Hope this helps! :D

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.PDF

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
There is definitely a difference between inland and outland on these requirements...

Because inland takes longer the medical will usually expire so probably more lenient about it being submitted after the application.

Outland is usually a lot faster so should be submitted with the application... it can take several weeks for the medical docs to be forwarded to the visa office so at the very least - if you don't have the application returned to you flat out - it will cause a big delay in your processing.

I submitted three police checks after the main package as an outland application with no problems and i know many others who have done so as well. Just make a note that it is pending.

ufa

Star Member
Nov 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the important thing to note here, is that if you are having a lot of difficulties obtaining a required document, there may be ways around it (like submitting without the document initially)... but that in any case you should try to talk to the Visa Office in question FIRST, in order to get confirmation on how best to proceed (and having it in writing from them helps too!).

As i said before, Obviously best course of action is to just submit everything according to the forms and guides to the letter, but there are always going to be special circumstances. In my case its the medical exams, and contacting the visa office in Sydney really relieved some of my stress when i found out there would be a way around our problem.

AlieW

Star Member
Aug 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv. Israel
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2011
Doc's Request.
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
14-02-2011
File Transfer...
08-02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
I had the same issues sponsoring my common-law partner.

Our PCC goes straight from the Police to the VO processing our application, we don't get to see it and we don't receive any documentation regarding it was requested.
As for the medical I corresponded with the visa office processing our application and they said:

"Your common-law partner can undergo medical examinations anytime during the sponsorship process."

to which i replied:

"I sent the application package to CPC Mississauga (for Family Class Common-Law Parenter), without the receipt from the medial exam because he has not done it yet. Is this ok - CPC Mississauga won't return the package to me becasue it is missing his medical recepit?"

And they said "It is OK."
There seems to be a huge amount of confusion regarding this issue - I will let you know if they return our package to us requesting a copy of the receipt!

ellaine

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 22, 2013 , received as per tracking number August 26, 2013
AOR Received.
September 5, 2013
File Transfer...
September 13, 2013
Med's Done....
August 5, 2013
Passport Req..
November 22, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 13, 2013
LANDED..........
February 07, 2014 (Winnipeg)
hello there, my husband is a permanent resident in Canada and I am here in the Philippines. We already send our application for spousal sponsorship last July, however without proof of upfront medical examination. We thought medical examination will be necessary after we submit our application. Sadly, i read that the same is mandatory and should be incorporated to the whole application. I have now here with me my proof of upfront medical but i do not know how to send this to them. Is it true that if an application was mailed without proof of medical examination,the whole package will be returned? if yes, how long would they mail the application so that we could returned it back to them and include proof of upfront medical? if not, upon receipt of our application how soon will they notify and inform us so that we can immediately comply with the lacking medical ?has anyone experienced the same?
My warmest and sincerest thanks.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
ellaine said:
hello there, my husband is a permanent resident in Canada and I am here in the Philippines. We already send our application for spousal sponsorship last July, however without proof of upfront medical examination. We thought medical examination will be necessary after we submit our application. Sadly, i read that the same is mandatory and should be incorporated to the whole application. I have now here with me my proof of upfront medical but i do not know how to send this to them. Is it true that if an application was mailed without proof of medical examination,the whole package will be returned? if yes, how long would they mail the application so that we could returned it back to them and include proof of upfront medical? if not, upon receipt of our application how soon will they notify and inform us so that we can immediately comply with the lacking medical ?has anyone experienced the same?
Medicals isn't mandatory - it's just a good idea for many cases. When you say you applied last July, you mean July 2013?

Wait until you have sponsor approval. Then about 1 month after that, contact the Manila office to verify they have your application. Tell them you have done your medical and want to make sure they have your file before you mail it in. Hopefully they will respond quickly. Then mail it (preferably by courier) with your name, date of birth, UCI, and file number. You can include a quick letter if you want to as well.

Make sure to keep a copy of the form for yourself.

I would check a few weeks later (1-2) just to make sure they have the form with your file.

ellaine

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
September 5, 2013
File Transfer...
September 13, 2013
Med's Done....
August 5, 2013
Passport Req..
November 22, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 13, 2013
LANDED..........
Hi amikety . You are so nice. Yes and they received the same on July 29, 2013. I had my upfront medical only last week, August 5 and according to Manila Health Center they will send the upfront medical result to Canada after two weeks. If they are in time, in less than a month the CPC-Mississauga will receive my medical result and at same time will be notified that I had undergone upfront medical even if I dont have proof of the same in my application . So CPC-Mississauga is going to act on our application sans upfront medical? and if they find my husband fit they would act up to the extent of transfering my file to the manila office? i will take your advice. By the way how would I contact the manila visa office? through phone or letter? thank you very much amikety. My heartfelt gratitude. GOD bless.you more and more...

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jurjen said:
Medicals are okay to do later. They will send a request if it's missing (see the guide for more info, there's a visual timeline with their corse of action).

Since medicals can expire, I'd rather have one X-ray exposure in stead of two.
Jurjen is correct. Read the new prodedure here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp. There is now a choice for certain family class applicants. You can either send off the application without taking a medical, in which case you will be aked for it later, or you can take it up front. Last time I looked the documents checklist had not caught up with the new procedure and still required the medical document to be sent with the application. If the checklist still says that, it is incorrect!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
It's not cut and dry, it really depends on the officer looking at your case. Many times they have shown leniency with missing documents. But AT BEST, processing of your application will be delayed and sometimes significantly delayed. It is best to take the extra time to get everything in from the beginning.

The one place they do not mess around with it seems is missing signatures of the forms. They WILL return the whole application.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
ellaine said:
Hi amikety . You are so nice. Yes and they received the same on July 29, 2013. I had my upfront medical only last week, August 5 and according to Manila Health Center they will send the upfront medical result to Canada after two weeks. If they are in time, in less than a month the CPC-Mississauga will receive my medical result and at same time will be notified that I had undergone upfront medical even if I dont have proof of the same in my application . So CPC-Mississauga is going to act on our application sans upfront medical? and if they find my husband fit they would act up to the extent of transfering my file to the manila office? i will take your advice. By the way how would I contact the manila visa office? through phone or letter? thank you very much amikety. My heartfelt gratitude. GOD bless.you more and more...
You can email: General: manila-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

Case specific: https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/cicemail/intro-eng.aspx?mission=manila

I would use case specific once you have your UCI and file number.

Mississauga doesn't do anything with medicals. All they do for spousal sponsorship is assess the sponsor's eligibility. All assessment of the applicant (you and I) plus the assessment of the relationship is done by Manila. That's one reason why Stage 1 only takes a month and Stage 2 is much longer. So no, they don't need your medical, only information on your husband.

Like I said, wait about a month after Sponsor Approval. Once Mississauga approves your husband to sponsor you, they will mail the application to Manila. I feel a month gives it plenty of time to transit.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
keesio said:
It's not cut and dry, it really depends on the officer looking at your case. Many times they have shown leniency with missing documents. But AT BEST, processing of your application will be delayed and sometimes significantly delayed. It is best to take the extra time to get everything in from the beginning.

The one place they do not mess around with it seems is missing signatures of the forms. They WILL return the whole application.
The ONLY thing consistent about CIC is its inconsistency.

I (STUPIDLY) sent my app in without the medical or police certificate. I just somehow missed those requirements in the app, so I didn't send them or reference them in any way. My app was not returned to me. I sure as heck would have done them in advance if I'd known what I was doing, but they didn't cause me a rejected application. Having said that, there's no guarantee they won't send back someone else's app who does the same exact thing. *shrug* It's like real-life roulette with CIC.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
QuebecOkie said:
The ONLY thing consistent about CIC is its inconsistency.

I (STUPIDLY) sent my app in without the medical or police certificate. I just somehow missed those requirements in the app, so I didn't send them or reference them in any way. My app was not returned to me. I sure as heck would have done them in advance if I'd known what I was doing, but they didn't cause me a rejected application. Having said that, there's no guarantee they won't send back someone else's app who does the same exact thing. *shrug* It's like real-life roulette with CIC.
With how long Vergeville is taking to issue AIP these days, you may have saved yourself a second medical exam and the fees to accompany it.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
amikety said:
With how long Vergeville is taking to issue AIP these days, you may have saved yourself a second medical exam and the fees to accompany it.
Ha, quite possibly!

ellaine

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
September 5, 2013
File Transfer...
September 13, 2013
Med's Done....
August 5, 2013
Passport Req..
November 22, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 13, 2013
LANDED..........
amikety said:
You can email: General: manila-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca

Case specific: https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/cicemail/intro-eng.aspx?mission=manila

I would use case specific once you have your UCI and file number.

Mississauga doesn't do anything with medicals. All they do for spousal sponsorship is assess the sponsor's eligibility. All assessment of the applicant (you and I) plus the assessment of the relationship is done by Manila. That's one reason why Stage 1 only takes a month and Stage 2 is much longer. So no, they don't need your medical, only information on your husband.

Like I said, wait about a month after Sponsor Approval. Once Mississauga approves your husband to sponsor you, they will mail the application to
Manila. I feel a month gives it plenty of time to transit.
Thank you so much amikety. God Bless

marrgo

Aug 16, 2013
ellaine said:
just wait for the sponsor to be approved - by then you will already know you immigration file number. than in about 1-2 months, send to the embassy the medical report you got when you had the medical exam, specifying the immig. file number. everything will be ok :)