how soon can I work after marriage?

Butterball83

Aug 19, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,
apologies if this is discussed in a topic before but my searches haven't helped me.

I'm currently in Canada as a visitor and have completed an IEC working holiday visa which expired recently and with no option of renewal.
My fiance and I are still living together and are looking at maybe getting married sooner than we planned if it can help me start working again, am I entitled to a work permit while the application is in process if I've already lost my status as a worker or would I have to wait until the completion of the application?

I hope this all makes sense.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Butterball83 said:
Hi there,
apologies if this is discussed in a topic before but my searches haven't helped me.

I'm currently in Canada as a visitor and have completed an IEC working holiday visa which expired recently and with no option of renewal.
My fiance and I are still living together and are looking at maybe getting married sooner than we planned if it can help me start working again, am I entitled to a work permit while the application is in process if I've already lost my status as a worker or would I have to wait until the completion of the application?

I hope this all makes sense.
If you apply for an inland sponsorship, then you are entitled to apply for an Open Work Permit at the same time. You won't get this work permit for about 4 months.

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
You can also apply as common law if you lived together continuously for 12 months :)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
MaryLou6 said:
You can also apply as common law if you lived together continuously for 12 months :)
+1 -- sorry I missed that!

Butterball83

Aug 19, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MaryLou6 said:
Unfortunately hasn't hit the year mark yet, we've been together a year and a half but that probably means nothing. Just wondering about how soon I can get back to work because with points at 479 express entry is close but not quite yet so maybe this way would be faster in terms of getting a work permit

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Butterball83 said:
Unfortunately hasn't hit the year mark yet, we've been together a year and a half but that probably means nothing. Just wondering about how soon I can get back to work because with points at 479 express entry is close but not quite yet so maybe this way would be faster in terms of getting a work permit
you can't legally work until you receive the Open Work Permit that you can apply for as part of an inland application (currently takes ~4-5 months after submitting an application) OR until you are approved and landed as a PR. Before you can submit a spousal sponsorship application you need to be a) married or b) be able to prove commonlaw status. if none of these apply to you right now, then you need to qualify for a work permit through your own means.