+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How soon after being Granted PR would you have to go to Canada?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I'd be a lot more convinced about all of this if the people with power of attorney didn't have a vested interest in the outcome.

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Lawyers will say anything to get your money.

This is a real case, not sure if the post is still here. Spousal sponsorship. Sponsor has Alzheimers. Rejected. Appealed. Rejected again. The sponsor was deemed not legally able to enter a binding contract plus unable to support the spouse for the length of the undertaking because of the inability to work. No, the person being sponsored being able to work does not count as proof of eligibility. No, the children who do work cannot vouch for their parent’s ability either.

Wish you luck but get a second opinion. No lawyer can guarantee success with something as complicated as your parents’ case.
I will get a second opinion and thanks for wishing me luck.

My mom cannot work but does the sponsor have to be able to work, or just financially be able to support the spouse? Although she can’t work she has a lot of money in the bank.

Thanks! :)

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
You can go ahead but whether your mother is actually eligible to apply to sponsor isn’t up to the lawyer. Have you called IRCC or submitted a web form question or even consulted a few lawyers? Don’t totally trust any of them but I don’t believe your mother is actually eligible. Lawyers want to get paid and unfortunately sometimes give people reassurances when they shouldn’t.
Thanks I will get s second opinion.

I don’t feel this lawyer is trying to take us for a ride - he did an initial consultation with me and didn’t charge me and his very good reviews from previous applicants who have said their situations were difficult, but I will get a second opinion as you advised.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I will get a second opinion and thanks for wishing me luck.

My mom cannot work but does the sponsor have to be able to work, or just financially be able to support the spouse? Although she can’t work she has a lot of money in the bank.

Thanks! :)
Well how old are they? How much money is a lot of money? Since she has alzheimers, who controls the money? There are too many factors for a visa officer to consider.

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Well how old are they? How much money is a lot of money? Since she has alzheimers, who controls the money? There are too many factors for a visa officer to consider.
My Dad is 63 in October, my Mom 57. Won't disclose on here how much money it is. My Dad and I have have lasting power of attorney for both her health & wellbeing and finances so we do.

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
My Dad is 63 in October, my Mom 57. Won't disclose on here how much money it is. My Dad and I have have lasting power of attorney for both her health & wellbeing and finances so we do.
I have contacted the Attorney General office in British Columbia to see if these POAs would be valid documents in Canada, or if not if we can apply for Canadian ones ( I am Canadian).

We would rather try with an IRCC regulated Immigration Lawyer and if we are refused then so be it.. than not try at all and always wonder.

Thanks,

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I wasn’t trying to get the exact figure but if it is anything less than what they need to live comfortably for the rest of their lives, it will go against them. They are still pretty young. 100k for example can only get them through 2 years or even 3 if they really skimp. They won’t be able to rely on a big pension if they did not work here for at least 10 years (or even if they did).

Last edited:

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
I wasn’t trying to get the exact figure but if it is anything less than what they need to live comfortably for the rest of their lives, it will go against them. They are still pretty young. 100k for example can only get them through 2 years or even 3 if they really skimp. They won’t be able to rely on a big pension if they did not work here for at least 10 years (or even if they did).
Thats okay I didnt think you were snooping for a the exact figure but didn't want to say what it was in range of.
That's helpful. Thanks,

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Sorry one more Q. Do you mean 100k GBP or CAD?

Thank you!!
CAD but even in GBP that would only be 160 CAD? Certainly not enough even for 5 years if they don’t work or have sound investments that provide them a good return.

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
CAD but even in GBP that would only be 160 CAD? Certainly not enough even for 5 years if they don’t work or have sound investments that provide them a good return.
Cool thanks.
My dad will still work - and likely be employees by his current company on a home based position as they are LA based with same time zone.

Thanks again