+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How soon after being Granted PR would you have to go to Canada?

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Hi,
My Mom is Canadian and sponsoring my Dad to become a PR so we can all move to a better life out there. Our case is not straight forward and we are having to use the help of an Immigration Lawyer who suggests we start sooner rather than later.
To that end my question is how soon after, if my Dad was granted permanent residency would my Dad have to move to Canada?
Am I correct in thinking you are giving a 'landing' period in which you must fly to Canada, and you are presented with your PR at the border, but can then fly back to the UK if you wish, so long as you are present and living in Canada 2 out of 5 years?
We obviously plan to be out in Canada forever, but given that we may be looking at the sponsorship program sooner than we anticipated it may mean that our house is not sold in time?
Thanks in advance for your help.

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
Hi,
My Mom is Canadian and sponsoring my Dad to become a PR so we can all move to a better life out there. Our case is not straight forward and we are having to use the help of an Immigration Lawyer who suggests we start sooner rather than later.
To that end my question is how soon after, if my Dad was granted permanent residency would my Dad have to move to Canada?
Am I correct in thinking you are giving a 'landing' period in which you must fly to Canada, and you are presented with your PR at the border, but can then fly back to the UK if you wish, so long as you are present and living in Canada 2 out of 5 years?
We obviously plan to be out in Canada forever, but given that we may be looking at the sponsorship program sooner than we anticipated it may mean that our house is not sold in time?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Houses can very easily be sold from overseas if they don't want to spend money on coming and going. But yes, you can all go back to the UK to sell up, etc once he's landed. The only problem is that his ETA will become void and he will need either a PRTD or his PR card to get back into the country.

Reactions: Lararay92

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Houses can very easily be sold from overseas if they don't want to spend money on coming and going. But yes, you can all go back to the UK to sell up, etc once he's landed. The only problem is that his ETA will become void and he will need either a PRTD or his PR card to get back into the country.
Minor wording correction need a PR card or PRTD to board a plane back to Canada not totally necessary if make it to the border, US border for example given a COPR would do or CBSA have the means to determine residency. Just boarding plane back to Canada would be an issue without a card or PRTD once landed previously as a PR

Last edited:

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Minor wording correction need a PR card or PRTD to board a plane back to Canada not totally necessary if make it to the border, US border for example given a COPR would do or CBSA have the means to determine residency. Just boarding plane back to Canada would be an issue without a card or PRTD

Not sure why paying out for an immigration lawyer given spouse sponsorship is usually pretty straight forward but is a personal choice.
Hi paying for immigration lawyer as my Mom who is sponsoring has far advanced Alzheimer's so we need a representatitve. I (Canadian citizen) will be sponsoring my husband without a lawyer.

Thanks for your help reg. the PR card PRTD.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi paying for immigration lawyer as my Mom who is sponsoring has far advanced Alzheimer's so we need a representatitve. I (Canadian citizen) will be sponsoring my husband without a lawyer.

Apologies I read your previous posts after I posted about the lawyer, now deleted from my post. A lawyer the only way to go with your circumstances, good luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your father qualifies for PR you will have to show intent to relocate to Canada when you get PR to qualify. Canada is pretty demanding when it comes to concrete proof that you are actually moving. You have quite a few obstacles.

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
If your father qualifies for PR you will have to show intent to relocate to Canada when you get PR to qualify. Canada is pretty demanding when it comes to concrete proof that you are actually moving. You have quite a few obstacles.
Hi,

I know about the proof to show you have intent to move there, and from what I understand from a spousal sponsorship support Facebook group I am in, past sponsors have advised me this can be things such as emailing and contacting estate agents reg. houses etc. We will likely have found a house, be well into looking at houses to buy, while we are applying for PR.

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I know about the proof to show you have intent to move there, and from what I understand from a spousal sponsorship support Facebook group I am in, past sponsors have advised me this can be things such as emailing and contacting estate agents reg. houses etc. We will likely have found a house, be well into looking at houses to buy, while we are applying for PR.

Thank you!
Things like notifying employers that you are leaving, finding new jobs. Would take one step at a time. Given that your mother no longer has legal capacity sponsorship shouldn’t be possible so wait to see whether you get past that point first.

Reactions: jddd

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

So, you are still planning to take your mother out of the familiar surroundings that's she's known for the last few years and place her into a strange environment where she is likely to struggle even more with the Alzheimer's?

Reactions: DollyM

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
So, you are still planning to take your mother out of the familiar surroundings that's she's known for the last few years and place her into a strange environment where she is likely to struggle even more with the Alzheimer's?
She has wanted to return to Canada for years and years and she still does now.

My family and I know what is best for my mum and wouldn’t be doing something we’d beleive would be wrong for her.

Reactions: jordanking94

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Things like notifying employers that you are leaving, finding new jobs. Would take one step at a time. Given that your mother no longer has legal capacity sponsorship shouldn’t be possible so wait to see whether you get past that point first.
Thanks. We aren’t planning on taking anything further until we get confirmation from the lawyer on whether he thinks he can take on our case.

Reactions: scylla

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Lawyer has confirmed Mom is eligible to sponsor Dad. We are going ahead!

Just to reiterate we wouldn't be doing this if we thought Mom wouldn't cope well. She copes very well with holidays away, and in the very long run (i.e. towards the end of Alzheimers) she will be confused about wherever she is whether that be UK or Canada, so while she still remembers Canada and her friends/earlier life out there we want her to be able to relive those memories and meet up with those special people.

Thanks,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Just to reiterate we wouldn't be doing this if we thought Mom wouldn't cope well. She copes very well with holidays away, and in the very long run (i.e. towards the end of Alzheimers) she will be confused about wherever she is whether that be UK or Canada, so while she still remembers Canada and her friends/earlier life out there we want her to be able to relive those memories and meet up with those special people.

Thanks,
You can go ahead but whether your mother is actually eligible to apply to sponsor isn’t up to the lawyer. Have you called IRCC or submitted a web form question or even consulted a few lawyers? Don’t totally trust any of them but I don’t believe your mother is actually eligible. Lawyers want to get paid and unfortunately sometimes give people reassurances when they shouldn’t.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017

Thanks,
Lawyers will say anything to get your money.

This is a real case, not sure if the post is still here. Spousal sponsorship. Sponsor has Alzheimers. Rejected. Appealed. Rejected again. The sponsor was deemed not legally able to enter a binding contract plus unable to support the spouse for the length of the undertaking because of the inability to work. No, the person being sponsored being able to work does not count as proof of eligibility. No, the children who do work cannot vouch for their parent’s ability either.

Wish you luck but get a second opinion. No lawyer can guarantee success with something as complicated as your parents’ case.