+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How should I indicate my eye color?

pippa6

Jul 25, 2016
I recently landed in Canada. As I'm Asian, I indicated in my PR with my eye color as "Black" and so it's the eye color in COPR. Then when I applied for a Canadian driving license, they put it as "Brown". Should I go to correct them? Or it is ok to have them mismatched? Moving forward, which color should I put? Thanks a lot for answering :)

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
First of all usually humans do not have "black eyes" - except people with Aniridia . Even though some say Asian's and African's do have black eyes by nature, truth is they have really dark dark brown eyes.

Second of all I do not believe it is a big deal I would usually suggest to keep the record straight... I mean you don't say one day you're 160cm and the next day you're 162cm.

If I would be you I would stick with (dark) brown because you won't need the COPR that often. Different story with DL, health care card etc pp.

Good luck :)

TC

pippa6

Jul 25, 2016
Tri-Cities said:
First of all usually humans do not have "black eyes" - except people with Aniridia . Even though some say Asian's and African's do have black eyes by nature, truth is they have really dark dark brown eyes.

Second of all I do not believe it is a big deal I would usually suggest to keep the record straight... I mean you don't say one day you're 160cm and the next day you're 162cm.

If I would be you I would stick with (dark) brown because you won't need the COPR that often. Different story with DL, health care card etc pp.

Good luck :)

TC
Hi, the issue is about later on when I need to renew PR card or apply for citizenship. Would it cause confusion? e.g. initial app: "black", pr renewal: "bronwn".

If you look at PR card application form, "black" is listed to be chosen. Just another question popped up: Is eye color listed in PR card, citizenship cert, and Canadian passport?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pippa6 said:
Hi, the issue is about later on when I need to renew PR card or apply for citizenship. Would it cause confusion? e.g. initial app: "black", pr renewal: "bronwn".

If you look at PR card application form, "black" is listed to be chosen. Just another question popped up: Is eye color listed in PR card, citizenship cert, and Canadian passport?
Black or Brown, it is immaterial, you don't have to do anything.

pippa6

Jul 25, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

Black or Brown, it is immaterial, you don't have to do anything.
Thanks for answering. I know this is minor. But I have to choose one or the other for future applications and other paperwork. My best guess is that I would stick with what on COPR & PR card (which is "black"). I will rarely use driver license as identity document to avoid other confusions. Would it make sense?

Do you guys know any other kinds of paperwork which will require eye color info? Now I only can say pr renewal app, citizenship app, and passport.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
pippa6 said:
Thanks for answering. I know this is minor. But I have to choose one or the other for future applications and other paperwork. My best guess is that I would stick with what on COPR & PR card (which is "black"). I will rarely use driver license as identity document to avoid other confusions. Would it make sense?

Do you guys know any other kinds of paperwork which will require eye color info? Now I only can say pr renewal app, citizenship app, and passport.
I'd go with listing whatever is on the COPR and PR card - Black.

I don't see anyone really worrying about the driving license; but if you want it to match I'd go ask them to change the driving license!

My PR app listed brown vs green eyes and 6cm shorter than my license. When I landed they wrote the details onto the CoPR. Who knows what is recorded in the system!