+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How should I handle a slow FBI response on my background check?

mopata

Aug 18, 2005
USA
Hello,

I need advice. In January, we received a notice that an interview had been waived, and that we should proceed with our medicals. We were also asked to repeat our fingerprinting and get another FBI criminal check. We did this and sent it off immediately to the FBI, but we haven't gotten a response yet. The letter states that the requirements should be complied with within 90 days, so we're running out of time.

Here's my question: should I send the documentation that we have before the 90 day deadline, with a letter stating that we will forward the FBI documentation as soon as we receive it, or should I wait until we have everything ready and potentially risk missing the 90 day deadline? Also, can we be rejected if the FBI doesn't respond quickly enough? We'd hate to have this fall apart after all this effort.

Thanks a lot for your help.

shabab

Star Member
Jan 25, 2007
Hi Mopata

I don't know what the Immigration guys will do to this issue.

But regarding FBI fingerprint report, if you want to expediate the issue, approach your local Congressman's Office.

I got my FBI fingerprint report within 40 days, but they did a mistake in my nationality on the report. I wrote to them about the blunder they have done. But they simply replied that whatever they have sent to me is correct. I approached the INS, my nationality was correct. It was the mistake on the part of FBI. People suggested me to approach my local congressman. I did so. The Congressman's secretary wrote a letter to them and I got the response within 2 weeks.

This is the way they work. Try to give details to the Congressman Office, your work will be done immediately.

Good look

Shabab

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
mopata said:
Hello,

I need advice. In January, we received a notice that an interview had been waived, and that we should proceed with our medicals. We were also asked to repeat our fingerprinting and get another FBI criminal check. We did this and sent it off immediately to the FBI, but we haven't gotten a response yet. The letter states that the requirements should be complied with within 90 days, so we're running out of time.

Here's my question: should I send the documentation that we have before the 90 day deadline, with a letter stating that we will forward the FBI documentation as soon as we receive it, or should I wait until we have everything ready and potentially risk missing the 90 day deadline? Also, can we be rejected if the FBI doesn't respond quickly enough? We'd hate to have this fall apart after all this effort.

Thanks a lot for your help.

My friend mopata

First of all how come you had your fingerprints done before the interview? I guess you did it in advance trying to win some time, if it was the reason, it does not work this way. You have to wait until CIC specifically asks for it or whatever other stuff. (this is why I guess they are asking for it again)

What you have to do ASAP is to ask an extension of time due to FBI’s delaying with a full explanation to CIC, and send whatever you already have. So CIC can continue with your process with no issues, except for the time.

Note: FBI has a big backlog so far, that’s why they are taking much more time than the usual. In my case FBI took more than 15 Weeks, it droves me out of my FBI timeline request so my lawyer had to ask for an extension.

You can send an Email asking for your status at: do@leo.gov they respond back to you within one or two days

Regards

mopata

Aug 18, 2005
USA
Hello Shabab and Eduardo,

Thanks for the helpful ideas. In response to Eduardo's question about why we sent our FBI reports prior to our interview: the initial batch of paperwork required with our application included an FBI report, so we did not want to omit it and therefore not follow instructions. A little over a year later when they waived our interview, I guess they decided the original FBI report was over a year old so they wanted a new one. As soon as we received the 90 day notice to respond with the next batch of paperwork and the medicals, we got the new fingerprints and sent them to the FBI, hoping for a quick turnaround.

In any case, I'll see if my Congressman can help, and I'll send whatever I have prior to the 90 day deadline, along with an explanation of why I don't yet have the FBI report.

Again, thanks to both of you for your advice.

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
mopata said:
Hello Shabab and Eduardo,

Thanks for the helpful ideas. In response to Eduardo's question about why we sent our FBI reports prior to our interview: the initial batch of paperwork required with our application included an FBI report, so we did not want to omit it and therefore not follow instructions. A little over a year later when they waived our interview, I guess they decided the original FBI report was over a year old so they wanted a new one. As soon as we received the 90 day notice to respond with the next batch of paperwork and the medicals, we got the new fingerprints and sent them to the FBI, hoping for a quick turnaround.

In any case, I'll see if my Congressman can help, and I'll send whatever I have prior to the 90 day deadline, along with an explanation of why I don't yet have the FBI report.

Again, thanks to both of you for your advice.
Thanks for the feedback mopata

I did not know that CIC asks for something else since the beggining. ( so I guess it depends from Country to country) well I learned something new today!!! which is great in order to help others!!!

Good luck my friend
Eduardo