+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How painful (or painless) is the name change process...?

oasdu

Feb 16, 2018
I am already a citizen and live in Ontario. I have a TN visa for occasional work trips to the US.

I need to change my surname. My surname will become my middle name, and my family name will become my new surname.
  • How straightforward or quick is the name change process? Who do I need to update?
  • If I change my name, do I need to get a new TN visa with my updated name? If so, what is the process to update authorities? Or can I just travel on the TN with any supporting documents with my name change?
If anyone can share their recent experience please that would help...

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
For a name change such as this in Ontario, you need to apply for a legal name change: https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-name

You will need a police record check, and then you will need to update literally everything that has your name on it - passport, credit card, etc. Updating your passport means getting a new one. If the US will allow you to travel with an unexpired visa in an older passport along with a current passport, then you may be okay. But I'm not sure if they do.

If Ontario approves your name change, you will get a certificate of change of name that you should keep with you because literally every place you use your name for some legal purpose (bank, rental car, hotel, etc.) will want proof you are who you are, especially if your ID is different at different times.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I am already a citizen and live in Ontario. I have a TN visa for occasional work trips to the US.

I need to change my surname. My surname will become my middle name, and my family name will become my new surname.
  • How straightforward or quick is the name change process? Who do I need to update?
  • If I change my name, do I need to get a new TN visa with my updated name? If so, what is the process to update authorities? Or can I just travel on the TN with any supporting documents with my name change?
If anyone can share their recent experience please that would help...
This may be a silly question but why do you need to change your name? It's certainly not required by Canada.