+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How old should be the reference letter?

Goel

Jun 13, 2017
I received ITA on 23rd of this month, I got a reference letter from my employer which is dated for 3rd June 2017 which I got from the HR for the Ontario Program, would the same letter suffice or do I need to get another new letter all together.

Reactions: markmark1983

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
I received ITA on 23rd of this month, I got a reference letter from my employer which is dated for 3rd June 2017 which I got from the HR for the Ontario Program, would the same letter suffice or do I need to get another new letter all together.
Is it your current employer? If yes, then ideally shouldnt be older than 3 months.

Reactions: sabihanaaz

Goel

Jun 13, 2017
I am unemployed now, I left my job and now doing volunteer work, my last day was 07th July 2017.

krishnacanada22

Jul 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Is it always mandatory to have a job offer when you get your ITA? I have created my express entry profile today (with CRS 444), and due to downsizing, I have been asked to leave. By the time I get my ITA, there is no job at hand, what should I do? I have total experience of 8 years... Pls help!

MayAORWaiting

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Is it your current employer? If yes, then ideally shouldnt be older than 3 months.
Help me understand, from where can we check these timelines? Does CIC website mention anywhere that reference letter , "ideally shouldnt be older than 3 months"?

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it always mandatory to have a job offer when you get your ITA? I have created my express entry profile today (with CRS 444), and due to downsizing, I have been asked to leave. By the time I get my ITA, there is no job at hand, what should I do? I have total experience of 8 years... Pls help!
If you created the express entry you should have noticed that there is no where they are asking you to be currently employed unless you are using LMIA.

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Help me understand, from where can we check these timelines? Does CIC website mention anywhere that reference letter , "ideally shouldnt be older than 3 months"?
I do not think its mentioned on cic website. Details are not always written there. Its well known for cic or any other reason that employment reference for current job should be up to date, i.e within last 3 months.
As far as I am concerned, you can apply with a letter thats 10 years old, its up to cic to accept it or not. But common sense dictates that when you are doing so much effort and sepnding so much money on this immigration application that you try not make things go wrong or create unnecessary extra verification steps just because one cant be bothered to upload a recent reference letter.
Like i said, this only applies for current employment. For old ones, doesnt matter obviously.
Good luck

drewinoakville

Star Member
Jun 13, 2017
I believe that if your points would go down without the job, then when you can not accept the ITA unless your new score total is above the draw that time.

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
I do not think its mentioned on cic website. Details are not always written there. Its well known for cic or any other reason that employment reference for current job should be up to date, i.e within last 3 months.
As far as I am concerned, you can apply with a letter thats 10 years old, its up to cic to accept it or not. But common sense dictates that when you are doing so much effort and sepnding so much money on this immigration application that you try not make things go wrong or create unnecessary extra verification steps just because one cant be bothered to upload a recent reference letter.
Like i said, this only applies for current employment. For old ones, doesnt matter obviously.
Good luck
If your current employment reference letter meets the tenure requirements you are claiming points for, why should it matter how old or new it is? Its not like CIC cares about you being actively employed or unemployed. They are checking the points claimed. If your dates settle that, it should be fine I think?

abcvita2012

Star Member
Jun 5, 2017
Is it fine if my letter is signed by someone who is:

-A very senior guy in my company
-He is not my direct supervisor
-He is not an HR guy

Actually he is a contracts manager

Is that fine?

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
If your current employment reference letter meets the tenure requirements you are claiming points for, why should it matter how old or new it is? Its not like CIC cares about you being actively employed or unemployed. They are checking the points claimed. If your dates settle that, it should be fine I think?
I already answered this question the way I think is right. You can do what you like with your application. I am not a CIC agent. If you think you fulfilled their requirements, go for it.

Ken2304

Dec 25, 2017
Hi my reference letter is very basic. Its in my company header. Has my job title and the period i was employed in. Will that be sufficeint?? Should i also include my promotion letter and pay slip?

craig123

Jul 7, 2017
Hi my reference letter is very basic. Its in my company header. Has my job title and the period i was employed in. Will that be sufficeint?? Should i also include my promotion letter and pay slip?
Add the wording that it was a full time on x hours/week, mention your salary and job duties as well. Add pay slips as additional documentation. Only pay slips will not suffice.