+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many times have you ordered your GCMS notes?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I'm almost ashamed to say, but I'm sure others out there have dwarfed me... 4.

1st - Out of curiousity

2nd - Wanted to know if my FP were received. FP was done while I was waiting for the 1st report, so I thought it would be on the 1st one, until I realized the report is generated as of the date of request.

3rd - After DM

4th - Yesterday because I've had some contact with IRCC while the 3rd was ongoing and I'd like to see if there was a change as a result.

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017

1st - Out of curiousity

2nd - Wanted to know if my FP were received. FP was done while I was waiting for the 1st report, so I thought it would be on the 1st one, until I realized the report is generated as of the date of request.

3rd - After DM

4th - Yesterday because I've had some contact with IRCC while the 3rd was ongoing and I'd like to see if there was a change as a result.

No I think you're the only one who went that far. It's people like you who bog down the system and cause delays for everyone else. GCMS notes should be requested when there is legitimate concern about the progress of an application not because your curious.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
No I think you're the only one who went that far. It's people like you who bog down the system and cause delays for everyone else. GCMS notes should be requested when there is legitimate concern about the progress of an application not because your curious.
Possibly.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012

1st - Out of curiousity

3rd - After DM

I guess this proves GCMS doesn’t delay the application... but why on earth would anyone want it after DM? I only want to know what happens to the process , once it’s done I would have zero interest in looking at it again

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Never. I still don’t really understand what you learn from it that may help you in speeding up the process.
Waste of somebody’s time

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Never. I still don’t really understand what you learn from it that may help you in speeding up the process.
Waste of somebody’s time
It doesn't speed up the process, but it gives people some idea where the process has gone to and some peace of mind, so they can avoid some unnecessary guessing and paranoia - and in some cases it does help speed up the process: my own experience during PR application, there was some issue and they didn't contact me, or at least I didn't receive anything from them, until I saw it from the GCMS report and contacted them to resolve it.

Spaniardo

Jul 7, 2017
I've ordered them once more than 40 days ago and haven't received anything yet... very frustrating:mad:

Last edited:

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I let a couple of comments about waste of resources go, so I want to clarify something I learned. When I had my interview, I specifically asked the case officer if she personally had to deal with requests for electronic notes, since it has come up in threads here. She said that requests for electronic notes are handled by a department all it's own, so the case officers, people processing applications, are not impacted.

I do recognize that I'm keeping someone busy, but not bogging down processing of applications.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I've ordered them once more than 40 days ago and haven't received them yet... very frustrating:mad:
Mine have always been bang on a month from the date of request. Strange. I wonder what the correlations are for people that have delays in getting notes back. Did you request electronic notes only or did you request your application and supporting documents?

Spaniardo

Jul 7, 2017
Mine have always been bang on a month from the date of request. Strange. I wonder what the correlations are for people that have delays in getting notes back. Did you request electronic notes only or did you request your application and supporting documents?
Just electronic notes... I've been reading on here people waiting for months... so I don't know at this point

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I let a couple of comments about waste of resources go, so I want to clarify something I learned. When I had my interview, I specifically asked the case officer if she personally had to deal with requests for electronic notes, since it has come up in threads here. She said that requests for electronic notes are handled by a department all it's own, so the case officers, people processing applications, are not impacted.

I do recognize that I'm keeping someone busy, but not bogging down processing of applications.
Unnecessary, and especially frivolous demands on government resources, have a negative impact on all government services. This tends to compromise the quality and promptness of services for everyone else.

Within a particular department, such as IRCC, resources are particularly limited, both as to funding and personnel. Any unnecessary demand on any part of IRCC has a negative impact on the resources available for allocation to other functions.

BUT of course your individual requests do not have much of an impact. It is the net effect when many individuals are making unnecessary or frivolous demands on services which poses real problems.

Example: There is a reason why IRCC politely requests citizenship applicants to NOT request their CBSA travel history, but rather simply give IRCC consent to access those records directly. That reason is clearly to reduce the demand on CBSA caused by unnecessary requests. Because excessive demands can seriously erode and compromise service. In fact this happened during the huge surge in RQ following the implementation of OB 407 and applicants were (initially) asked to obtain and submit a CBSA history . . . which almost immediately came close to crashing CBSA's capacity to provide such records. By 2013 CIC modified the RQ to include obtaining consent from applicants rather than asking applicants to obtain and submit the records themselves (it was later, but I do not recall which version of the application form it was, CIC began including the CBSA travel history consent in the application as well).

A more salient and closer-to-home example, for many forum participants, is the extent to which it appears many are calling the IRCC help line asking questions about AOR and IP and such, even though their application has not even been at IRCC six months let alone a year. This specific resource is almost always burdened by excessive demands, unnecessary queries, and as many forum participants can easily attest, it often makes it very difficult for those who have real questions to get through. For an immigrant with a full time day job, getting the time to make these calls can be very limited. I have been accused of being overly judgmental about those who are calling the help line to find out why three months have gone by since AOR and they are not yet scheduled for the test, BUT dammmmit there are so many struggling to figure things out and trying to get a call through, and for them not getting through, or having to sit on hold for lengthy periods of time, is a real and serious hardship. Railing against rampant impatience and selfish narcissism is not about making moralizing judgments, it is about asking others to be considerate and reasonable and to recognize there are applicants with pressing questions being negatively affected.

I do not mean to discourage help line calls or ATIP applications when there are real reasons for them. And over time some forum participants are genuinely engaged in an effort to acquire more information through these applications so they can better understand the process and in turn provide information and insight to others, to help others better navigate the process. (There was a lot of this in 2012 and 2013, for example, when we were all struggling to get a handle on the impact of OB 407, which was causing many thousands of applicants to suffer non-routine processing and delays taking as long as two or even three years; and the information obtained and shared was indeed useful; indeed, a lot of my understanding of the process derives from both ATIP and ATI applications during that period of time.)

BUT I'd like to politely discourage casual, unnecessary, or frivolous, including the more or less merely curious, abuses of the ATIP process as well as the help centre telephone lines. The vast majority of forum participants are in this together (or here to help others who are in it together). The exercise of some patience and reason and consideration for others is something to be encouraged. One unnecessary ATIP application makes no difference. But when a lot of applicants are doing it, it adds up, and it will divert the allocation of resources, it will have a negative impact on the quality of service and especially the timeline.

sheriB

Star Member
Feb 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2012
AOR Received.
23-01-2013
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
Nov 2012
There are no resources inside IRCC that deals with ATIP. It is called the Access to Information and Privacy Office. A complete department that handles ATIP requests from the public for multiple aspects of the government including IRCC.

While I will say people abuse the system, your statement is in fact that of an opinion and not a fact. There are no limited resources that people are using up through requesting their notes. It your legal right to request access to information.

No, I don’t request notes because I don’t see the point in the basic info it provides. However if it gives you peace of mind, order them. It is apart of the mandate from the Department of Justice which is funded from tax dollars.

Unnecessary, and especially frivolous demands on government resources, have a negative impact on all government services. This tends to compromise the quality and promptness of services for everyone else.

Within a particular department, such as IRCC, resources are particularly limited, both as to funding and personnel. Any unnecessary demand on any part of IRCC has a negative impact on the resources available for allocation to other functions.

BUT of course your individual requests do not have much of an impact. It is the net effect when many individuals are making unnecessary or frivolous demands on services which poses real problems.

Example: There is a reason why IRCC politely requests citizenship applicants to NOT request their CBSA travel history, but rather simply give IRCC consent to access those records directly. That reason is clearly to reduce the demand on CBSA caused by unnecessary requests. Because excessive demands can seriously erode and compromise service. In fact this happened during the huge surge in RQ following the implementation of OB 407 and applicants were (initially) asked to obtain and submit a CBSA history . . . which almost immediately came close to crashing CBSA's capacity to provide such records. By 2013 CIC modified the RQ to include obtaining consent from applicants rather than asking applicants to obtain and submit the records themselves (it was later, but I do not recall which version of the application form it was, CIC began including the CBSA travel history consent in the application as well).

A more salient and closer-to-home example, for many forum participants, is the extent to which it appears many are calling the IRCC help line asking questions about AOR and IP and such, even though their application has not even been at IRCC six months let alone a year. This specific resource is almost always burdened by excessive demands, unnecessary queries, and as many forum participants can easily attest, it often makes it very difficult for those who have real questions to get through. For an immigrant with a full time day job, getting the time to make these calls can be very limited. I have been accused of being overly judgmental about those who are calling the help line to find out why three months have gone by since AOR and they are not yet scheduled for the test, BUT dammmmit there are so many struggling to figure things out and trying to get a call through, and for them not getting through, or having to sit on hold for lengthy periods of time, is a real and serious hardship. Railing against rampant impatience and selfish narcissism is not about making moralizing judgments, it is about asking others to be considerate and reasonable and to recognize there are applicants with pressing questions being negatively affected.

I do not mean to discourage help line calls or ATIP applications when there are real reasons for them. And over time some forum participants are genuinely engaged in an effort to acquire more information through these applications so they can better understand the process and in turn provide information and insight to others, to help others better navigate the process. (There was a lot of this in 2012 and 2013, for example, when we were all struggling to get a handle on the impact of OB 407, which was causing many thousands of applicants to suffer non-routine processing and delays taking as long as two or even three years; and the information obtained and shared was indeed useful; indeed, a lot of my understanding of the process derives from both ATIP and ATI applications during that period of time.)

BUT I'd like to politely discourage casual, unnecessary, or frivolous, including the more or less merely curious, abuses of the ATIP process as well as the help centre telephone lines. The vast majority of forum participants are in this together (or here to help others who are in it together). The exercise of some patience and reason and consideration for others is something to be encouraged. One unnecessary ATIP application makes no difference. But when a lot of applicants are doing it, it adds up, and it will divert the allocation of resources, it will have a negative impact on the quality of service and especially the timeline.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
During Parents Sponsorship - infact it helped me lessen the time frame which was already long as I sent them docs by looking at officer notes else they take extra 2-3 moths till it reaches you