+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many LMIAs a business a get at the same time?

catch_catch

Jul 29, 2017
I am currently working in a convenience store as a supervisor. Since my work permit is about to expire, I will need an LMIA for an extension (or to obtain a new work permit). Besides me there is another full time employee and a part timer. My employer is in the process of securing an LMIA for Retail Supervisor position. If approved she wants to use it to bring another employee into Canada. I've been promised an LMIA as well but I'm really doubtful if that'll be approved

My question is how many LMIAs can my employer obtain for Retail Supervisor position given the store is open 91 hours in a week and there are no more than 3 people employed. Also, there is only one person present during a shift

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am currently working in a convenience store as a supervisor. Since my work permit is about to expire, I will need an LMIA for an extension (or to obtain a new work permit). Besides me there is another full time employee and a part timer. My employer is in the process of securing an LMIA for Retail Supervisor position. If approved she wants to use it to bring another employee into Canada. I've been promised an LMIA as well but I'm really doubtful if that'll be approved

My question is how many LMIAs can my employer obtain for Retail Supervisor position given the store is open 91 hours in a week and there are no more than 3 people employed. Also, there is only one person present during a shift
I think it's highly unlikely one LMIA will be approved - never mind two...

Also, if there's only one person present during a shift, it may be quite difficult to prove it's a supervisor role.

catch_catch

Jul 29, 2017
I think it's highly unlikely one LMIA will be approved - never mind two...

Also, if there's only one person present during a shift, it may be quite difficult to prove it's a supervisor role.
So, are you saying that a convenience store cannot have a supervisor ?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
That's not what Scylla is saying at all. If there is only one person on a shift at any one time, who are they supervising?. It will be very difficult to get an LMIA for someone (supervisor or not) that works in a store, as the employer has to advertise the position and make sure no other Canadian can do it.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Supervisor roles involve overseeing / directing the activities of other staff members. If only one person works per shifts, there's nothing to direct / oversee.

Here's the official NOC description:

Retail sales supervisors supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers in the following unit groups: Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks (6421), Cashiers (6611), Grocery Clerks and Store Shelf Stockers (6622) and Other Elemental Sales Occupations (6623). They are employed by stores and other retail businesses, wholesale businesses that sell on a retail basis to the public, rental service establishments and businesses involved in door-to-door soliciting and telemarketing.

catch_catch

Jul 29, 2017
Supervisor roles involve overseeing / directing the activities of other staff members. If only one person works per shifts, there's nothing to direct / oversee.

Here's the official NOC description:

Retail sales supervisors supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers in the following unit groups: Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks (6421), Cashiers (6611), Grocery Clerks and Store Shelf Stockers (6622) and Other Elemental Sales Occupations (6623). They are employed by stores and other retail businesses, wholesale businesses that sell on a retail basis to the public, rental service establishments and businesses involved in door-to-door soliciting and telemarketing.
I don't think the definition says anywhere that, all the staff members have to work in the same shift if the business (convenience store in this case) has to have a supervisor. Most gas stations have only one employee but there are ample postings on jobbank for recruiting Retail Supervisor at Shell, Petro etc. Another title for the job is Cashier Supervisor. I think you're confusing this job with Shift Supervisors (Food Service Supervisors) who work at Restaurants and Fast Food joints. They have a team to manage which is present during the shift.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I don't think you are correct. Supervisors, have to supervise someone. If that doesn't apply then everyone would be supervisors. In any case, the employer will find it really hard to get an LMIA for a job that a lot of Canadians could potentially do (no disrespect).

catch_catch

Jul 29, 2017
I don't think you are correct. Supervisors, have to supervise someone. If that doesn't apply then everyone would be supervisors. In any case, the employer will find it really hard to get an LMIA for a job that a lot of Canadians could potentially do (no disrespect).
I don't think you are really familiar with how things work out on the ground. Whatever you said is very textual and verbose. Nevertheless, you are entitled to have an opinion. No disrespect, strictly.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I don't think the definition says anywhere that, all the staff members have to work in the same shift if the business (convenience store in this case) has to have a supervisor. Most gas stations have only one employee but there are ample postings on jobbank for recruiting Retail Supervisor at Shell, Petro etc. Another title for the job is Cashier Supervisor. I think you're confusing this job with Shift Supervisors (Food Service Supervisors) who work at Restaurants and Fast Food joints. They have a team to manage which is present during the shift.
The rest of the description does include hire, train & supervise staff.....

Main duties

Retail sales supervisors perform some or all of the following duties:

• Supervise and co-ordinate sales staff and cashiers
  • Assign sales workers to duties and prepare work schedules
  • Authorize payments by cheque and the return of merchandise
  • Sell merchandise to customers
  • Resolve problems that arise, such as customer complaints and supply shortages
  • Maintain specified inventory and order merchandise
  • Prepare reports regarding sales volumes, merchandising and personnel matters
  • Hire and train or arrange for the training of new sales staff.

http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=6211&CST=01012011&CLV=4&MLV=4

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I don't think you are really familiar with how things work out on the ground. Whatever you said is very textual and verbose. Nevertheless, you are entitled to have an opinion. No disrespect, strictly.
OK, so the job is a store supervisor. They still will find it very hard to get an LMIA for it. That is probably the more important point.

catch_catch

Jul 29, 2017
The rest of the description does include hire, train & supervise staff.....

Main duties

Retail sales supervisors perform some or all of the following duties:

• Supervise and co-ordinate sales staff and cashiers
  • Assign sales workers to duties and prepare work schedules
  • Authorize payments by cheque and the return of merchandise
  • Sell merchandise to customers
  • Resolve problems that arise, such as customer complaints and supply shortages
  • Maintain specified inventory and order merchandise
  • Prepare reports regarding sales volumes, merchandising and personnel matters
  • Hire and train or arrange for the training of new sales staff.

http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=6211&CST=01012011&CLV=4&MLV=4
I'm sure you're aware that these links are public and available for anyone to read. Maybe you've missed the ''some or all of the following" part.
During my tenure at the retail locations I've trained, many new hires during my shift for them to work individually as scheduled by me weekly. While working on their own every cashier has a certain set of duties to perform which were cross-checked by the supervisor during his shift.
This can be verified with any immigration lawyer that not every employee (or a team) has to work during a shift for the business to have a supervisor.