+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how many hours is full-time employment for live-in caregiver in ON? 30/week?

emilycc

Dec 22, 2009
hello Guys, I do need help, please.

I am live-in caregiver in toronto, I worked 30 hours per week on my first year of employment. was 30hrs/week good enough as full-time working? I did call to CIC, and I've been told that there is no minimum required working hours under LCP, I can apply for PR as long as I have completed 24 months of work within 3years. but i am still feel worried.

and I found this definition from hrsdc
"full-time work is defined in provincial labour standards legislation. Where provincial labour standards do not specify full-time work, full-time work is should be defined as 30 hours per week or more for the purpose of the Live-in Caregiver Program"

this information makes me feel better, however I have just read this one recently from CIC Media Centre on 12/12/09: Minister Kenney proposes significant improvements to the Live-in Caregiver Program

it says "Under the new measure, live-in caregivers would be eligible to apply for permanent residence after 3,900 work hours – the equivalent of working a standard work week for two years." that means 37.5hours/week is full-time employment...............I am so dead here. Is there anyone can help me, let's say 30hrs is good? :'( please, thanks in advance

jmom27

Jul 2, 2009
30 hours is fine and the NEW RECOMMENDATIONS are not law yet... but when they do become law, then you have an option! You choose one of the following options:

1) 2 years experience within 3 years (minimum 30 hours per week)

2) 37.5 hours per week experience for 2 years or 3900 hours of work experience within 4 years

BUT REMEMBER THAT #2 IS NOT LAW YET......for now, the ONLY OPTION is 2 years experience within 3 years with a minimum of 30 hours per week.