+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long until my daughter gets her citizenship certificate??

Dave1984

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
I married a Dominican woman back in 2017. I'm still in the process of sponsoring her after she got refused back in 2018. Anyways in that time we had a beautiful daughter who is turning 1 soon. She's currently with my wife in Dominican Republic.
Back in March 2020 I applied for a citizenship certificate for my daughter. I filled out the paperwork and took it to the Canadian embassy in Santo Domingo and handed it to them.
The agents there told me it would take 8 months at least for my daughter to get her Canadian citizenship certificate. i called in November to the embassy and the agents told me they do not have that information yet,but when they do get it,they will mail it to the address registered in the system.
My question is,does anyone know how long it takes to recieve the Canadian citizenship certificate for a child? Do you they send it to you by mail or do you have to go look for it at the embassy?
Also,once you hand in the application and documents for your child at the embassy,is she automatically registered as a Canadian or is it a process? I'm just wondering because I'm sponsoring my wife also,and if she gets accepted (hopefully), I'm wondering how my wife will bring our daughter to Canada if she hasn't gotten her Canadian citizenship certificate yet?
Sorry for the many questions,just a concerned husband and father.
Thanks.

moetorious

Jun 2, 2020
I applied for my daughter in February 2020 they gave us her passport which is only valid for 2 years, no shes not automatically a Canadian citizen until she has been approved, you should receive a letter from IRCC stating that they have received your daughters application and it should be under process, just to give you a rough timeline we applied in Feb 2020 and the letter said they received it on DEC12th and I got the letter emailed to me on Dec 18th, and till now her application is under process.

Dave1984

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
I applied for my daughter in February 2020 they gave us her passport which is only valid for 2 years, no shes not automatically a Canadian citizen until she has been approved, you should receive a letter from IRCC stating that they have received your daughters application and it should be under process, just to give you a rough timeline we applied in Feb 2020 and the letter said they received it on DEC12th and I got the letter emailed to me on Dec 18th, and till now her application is under process.
Wow so it took 10 months just to recieve the letter? And to process the application it's going to take another X amount of months?? That's insane.

What if my wife gets Permanent Residency before my daughter gets her citizenship? How will our daughter be able to travel with her mother to Canada without her citizenship certificate?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Wow so it took 10 months just to recieve the letter? And to process the application it's going to take another X amount of months?? That's insane.

What if my wife gets Permanent Residency before my daughter gets her citizenship? How will our daughter be able to travel with her mother to Canada without her citizenship certificate?
Apply for a passport. As noted they will often issue a provisional passport for the child.

moetorious

Jun 2, 2020

Your daughter will receive a passport that is valid for 2 years the embassy shouldve told you that already but anyhow go to the embassy and apply there. Not sure if you can do it online for first timer.

Dave1984

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
Your daughter will receive a passport that is valid for 2 years the embassy shouldve told you that already but anyhow go to the embassy and apply there. Not sure if you can do it online for first timer.
When I went to the embassy to hand in my daughters application,they never told me that. I don't know why.

I'm going to Dominican Republic on Jan 2nd,I may have to go to the embassy. The user above mentioned it's a provisional passport. Is that like a different passport than a regular one?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When I went to the embassy to hand in my daughters application,they never told me that. I don't know why.

I'm going to Dominican Republic on Jan 2nd,I may have to go to the embassy. The user above mentioned it's a provisional passport. Is that like a different passport than a regular one?
Yes, it's different than a regular passport. It's effectively a temporary passport.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.