+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long to wait for application number?

adrade

May 6, 2020
My partner and I submitted by UPS our application for common-law sponsorship. He's a Canadian citizen and I am American. I am here as a student (with well more than a year left on my Study Permit). We've been living together for nearly 2 years in Canada and about a year before that in the United States.

The Immigration office received my application on June 22nd, almost three weeks ago, and neither of us have yet received any indication it was received, which may or may not be normal in these times. We yet have received no e-mail, nor any confirmation by regular mail. My UCI (from my study permit) doesn't populate any information when searching online.

I have no ability it seems to get through to a real person over the phone after exhaustively trying just about all the relevant options in their phone system, and it explicitly says online to use the web form only if the expected processing time has exhausted, which is listed as 12 months.

Question for the group: how long should I expect to wait to get an Application number? Months? Longer? Has anyone applied during Covid-times who knows what to expect?

Thank you in advance,
-Adam

bian07

May 19, 2017
Even before covid you would not have received anything yet. Usually took 6 to 8 weeks.

Covid makes it even longer, february applicants are still waiting to hear back.

Reactions: adrade

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My partner and I submitted by UPS our application for common-law sponsorship. He's a Canadian citizen and I am American. I am here as a student (with well more than a year left on my Study Permit). We've been living together for nearly 2 years in Canada and about a year before that in the United States.

The Immigration office received my application on June 22nd, almost three weeks ago, and neither of us have yet received any indication it was received, which may or may not be normal in these times. We yet have received no e-mail, nor any confirmation by regular mail. My UCI (from my study permit) doesn't populate any information when searching online.

I have no ability it seems to get through to a real person over the phone after exhaustively trying just about all the relevant options in their phone system, and it explicitly says online to use the web form only if the expected processing time has exhausted, which is listed as 12 months.

Question for the group: how long should I expect to wait to get an Application number? Months? Longer? Has anyone applied during Covid-times who knows what to expect?

Thank you in advance,
-Adam
You're probably looking at 3-4 months right now, possibly more. Don't bother calling the help desk. They haven't even opened your application yet.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
No reliable information has come from IRCC regarding covid related delays, but as bian07 has pointed out, no AOR's have been received since mid February. Judging from the vague tweets and statements by immigration officials in news stories, we can only guess as to how long the delay will be.

My money is on a 12 month delay in everything. How could it be any less: while seemingly not processing any applications during covid, yet still accepting applications, means nothing but a massive, overwhelming backlog.

As an inland applicant that missed the pre-covid window by only days, I can only hope that once they restart processing applications in any meaningful way they'll use the 'first in first out' method. But nobody knows.

adrade

May 6, 2020
Thank you for the replies... I thought it might have been possible that they assign application numbers even before fully processing applications - like open the packet, apply the application number and file it away waiting to be processed, and then kind of get to it when they can. But, if they do it all at once, then that's all okay. I have no problem waiting - I just don't want 12 months to go by with me waiting only to then eventually realize they never received it, or something like that.

Reactions: ScotchEgg

Gam14

Mar 18, 2020
Thank you for the replies... I thought it might have been possible that they assign application numbers even before fully processing applications - like open the packet, apply the application number and file it away waiting to be processed, and then kind of get to it when they can. But, if they do it all at once, then that's all okay. I have no problem waiting - I just don't want 12 months to go by with me waiting only to then eventually realize they never received it, or something like that.
That may make sense for them to open and apply a # to them, but not how it works. We are all waiting patiently not knowing if they received it, if they consider it complete. All I can rely on is FedEx delivered it. I am a March 2020 applicant and have heard nothing, applied Outland.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
The pandemic has affected worldwide.
IRCC offices still closed or barely opened......and they're all still stuck in old times (manual paperwork).
Expect things now to take forever. At least you 2 are together.
It will take months/years to process stuff now unless they approve ALL files etc to move quickly but thats only when they finally reopen.
GTA still in stage 2/emergency extended......don't expect much from turtle dept of IRCC

If only they would move entirely to ONLINE applications and/or processing rather than paperwork.....but that will take another 100 yrs

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
In an article I read it said they haven't looked at any apps submitted after mid Feb. Sorry I don't have a link the the article.

notgoogle

Jul 13, 2020
Dubai
You're probably looking at 3-4 months right now, possibly more. Don't bother calling the help desk. They haven't even opened your application yet.
i got a question, i want to send my application in 1 week, if i sent it and it took them 3-4 months to open, does this affect the fact that some documents in my application expire in 90 days (like police certificates)?

Alexn

May 15, 2020
Portugal
Category........
FAM
i got a question, i want to send my application in 1 week, if i sent it and it took them 3-4 months to open, does this affect the fact that some documents in my application expire in 90 days (like police certificates)?
If needed, they will ask for a new police certificate. however that will delay the process even more. if I were you I would get a new police certificate already before sending.

notgoogle

Jul 13, 2020
Dubai
If needed, they will ask for a new police certificate. however that will delay the process even more. if I were you I would get a new police certificate already before sending.
i got it only last week, but the validity of it is only 3 months

ScotchEgg

Jan 21, 2021
Hi all

I am curious whether any of you here have recieved your application number yet? I applied in late June 2020, and it is now 6 months without recieving an application number. Wondering if those of you who applied in 2020 experienced a delay similar to this? Like the users below I am in a limbo as unsure of whether it actually arrived (no tracking, regretably) and contemplating resending it.

Thank you in advance, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
Hi all

I am curious whether any of you here have recieved your application number yet? I applied in late June 2020, and it is now 6 months without recieving an application number. Wondering if those of you who applied in 2020 experienced a delay similar to this? Like the users below I am in a limbo as unsure of whether it actually arrived (no tracking, regretably) and contemplating resending it.

Thank you in advance, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
i would recommend calling ircc +1 888-242-2100 (CPC-M) for inland applications.. or possibly submitting a webforum asking for a temp file number.. I have heard instances where outland was able to get ahold of the sydney processing office if it was sent there however i do not have any numbers or information about that.. You can try to order gcms notes not sure how well that would work with out an app number however it will give you the most information of whats going on.