Mississauga
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
July 2010
LANDED..........
April 2014
I am the Principle PR holder recently moved to Toronto. My wife and 29 month old daughter is in India. My daughter is not a Canadian PR at all, when i applied for the PR back in 2009, she was not born. So she is not a Canadian PR, but she holds a US passport. To start her life here, would she face any problems with the health benefits, schooling ,etc. etc. ? I am planning to sponsor her PR after she lands here, but looks like it takes at least 8 months in the sponsorship category. until then, would it be a problem in anyway for her ? Please note that, i cannot sponsor her until my daughter is inside this country. So, i didn't kick start this application process while i was in India. I have to wait and I am waiting until she lands here to file the PR application for her. So until she gets her PR, any problem?

Please Help
havs

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you landed before she was born, you will not have a problem sponsoring her.

Why can you not start the process until your daughter arrives? The requirement for a PR to sponsor a family member is that you yourself are residing in Canada. It doesn't matter where the child is and as she has a US passport, she is visa exempt to Canada and shouldn't have any problems entering Canada with her mother.

Until your daughter gets PR, she is a visitor in Canada. As a visitor, she might not get health care. This depends on the province. Some provinces would allow a visitor dependent child that is being sponsored to be under the health care of the parent and some wont. You have to discuss this with the health care in your province. They may also have other ideas like ask for a visitor record for your child on entry. The immigration officer could allow her into the country for say a year rather than 6 months and for some provinces, that may make a difference to say that the child is residing in Canada as opposed to visiting.

She is still too young for school but a child on visitor visa attending school is also a hit and miss. It depends on the school district which could allow your child to enroll based on your PR status but also has the right to require that your child gets a study permit and that you pay international student fees.

jonz

Mar 21, 2013
Hi Leon. I have a question. What are the forms that have to be filled in this case as I find many links to family sponsorship and it's quite confusing which to start the process with. Thanks in advance.

Also my case is similar to havs, but i will be travelling in & out Canada frequently but my daughter is still in our original country until i fully settle here and find a job. so, is it OK to file an application from inside Canada in that case?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jonz said:
Hi Leon. I have a question. What are the forms that have to be filled in this case as I find many links to family sponsorship and it's quite confusing which to start the process with. Thanks in advance.

Also my case is similar to havs, but i will be travelling in & out Canada frequently but my daughter is still in our original country until i fully settle here and find a job. so, is it OK to file an application from inside Canada in that case?
If your child is outside Canada, you need the forms found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

If you are a PR yourself, you need to be residing in Canada in order to sponsor your child. If immigration believes that you are not residing in Canada (because of your frequent travel and lack of job), they could cancel your application.