+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long is the PCC valid???

neergiti

Jan 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wanted to know how long a Police Clearance Certificate is valid for as our PCC issue date is August 18th and we had subbmited the application on November 20th. Would my Police Clearance Certificate be valid in this case?

Thanks,
Neer

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It would not, I'm afraid. They are valid for 3 months, as all the guides and the website say.

neergiti said:
I wanted to know how long a Police Clearance Certificate is valid for as our PCC issue date is August 18th and we had subbmited the application on November 20th. Would my Police Clearance Certificate be valid in this case?

Thanks,
Neer

SadGirl:(

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:eek:

What?!?!?!

Seeing that my husband's application has been in process for over a year now, would that mean that he would have to get new police clearances? He got his police clearances back in September 2008 as we submitted the application with all the necessary documents and all the payments upfront from the beginning?

My husband already had his interview, and he passed his interview, and the application was approved for a visa, but we're still waiting for the background checks to clear. But seeing that the application was already approved for a visa, pending background checks, would my husband need to get new PCC?? The PCC that we submitted with the application have already cleared or that doesn't matter???

If they do need updated PCC, will send a letter to us telling us to get them because my husband and I do not want to redo anything else unless they request it from us. My husband already redone his medicals back in September 2009 without them requesting him to do so, so that we would save time when the PPR comes in, but it was expensive, so we don't want to be doing anything unless it is requested of us to do so.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They need to be no more than 3 months old when they are received, not when the PR is granted. :)

Occasionally they will request new police certificates later on in the process, but usually not. I'm not aware of the factors that cause them to do this sometimes, but it's not common.

SadGirl:(

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:)
Whew!!! Thank you so much Karlshammar for clearing that up for me . . . I was beginning to panic thinking that my husband would have to get new police clearances. They're not always the easiest things to get!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No problem, if all goes well he won't have to get any new ones. Usually they don't ask for it. :)

SadGirl:( said:
:)
Whew!!! Thank you so much Karlshammar for clearing that up for me . . . I was beginning to panic thinking that my husband would have to get new police clearances. They're not always the easiest things to get!

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
My son ended up supplying them with 3 ACPO's!

The first one was lost.
The second one expired in October 2009.

The third he had done in November at the request of CIC London.

I believe they are only valid for 1 year and that you must have a current certificate in order to get PR.

Edited due to uncorroborated information that could be incorrect. Apologies to all.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Siouxie said:
My son ended up supplying them with 3 ACPO's!

The first one was lost.
The second one expired in October 2009.

The third he had done in November at the request of CIC London.

They are only valid for 1 year and you must have a current certificate in order to get PR. They will write and ask you to update it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Siouxie, I'm confused. They must be within three months old to be submitted (per CIC) and APCO says in the first paragraph on page twelve that it is only accurate on the day of issue (of course) but that there is no set period for validity.

Since we have to get one also can you explain the one-year period and where is says it must be valid at the time the PR goes through. I'm sure you're right, I'd just like to have the link on hand when I have to break it to my partner that, yes he does have to do this again now and yes, he will have to do it again later.

I thought it was the medical that expires after a year and is always required to be current for PR.

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
tgchi13 said:
Siouxie, I'm confused. They must be within three months old to be submitted (per CIC) and APCO says in the first paragraph on page twelve that it is only accurate on the day of issue (of course) but that there is no set period for validity.

Since we have to get one also can you explain the one-year period and where is says it must be valid at the time the PR goes through. I'm sure you're right, I'd just like to have the link on hand when I have to break it to my partner that, yes he does have to do this again now and yes, he will have to do it again later.

I thought it was the medical that expires after a year and is always required to be current for PR.
Now I am confused too!

I was informed by CIC London that my son's Police Certificate had expired, that it was only valid for 12 months (see below) and that his medical may also expire too.

Note: His previous Police certificate (ACPO) was issued in October 2008 and the background information was updated in October 2008 as well. Despite this, CIC London required him to submit background information backdated to our application submission date of February 2005, not just an update from October 2008.

Date: 11/19/09 03:51:07

This e-mail is regarding your son's application for permanent residence.

Please be advised that we have now received a satisfactory medical result, however, because the medical took so long to complete we require:

*Updated UK police certificate

*Updated personal history and address history since the date of the application

*IMM5406 Additional Family Information form

We are unable to continue processing the application without these documents. If the requested documents are not submitted within 30 days from the date of this e-mail, the medical will also expire and need to be repeated.

Yours sincerely,

I had also read that a current Police certificate was required when you land, but I can't for the life of me find the reference (I will keep looking).

On the CIC webite, guidance for Korea, http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/korea-coree/visas/processing_tips-conseils_traitement.aspx?lang=eng it states

Keep in mind that for any country that you are currently residing in, a police certificate will be valid for 12 months from the date of issuance. As such, you may wish to wait for our request before applying for the police certificate of the country you are currently residing. However, if you are applying in a category with priority processing (provincial nominees, family class with an approved sponsorship, skilled workers with arranged employment), you should provide all police certificates at the time of submission of the application.

So, as I said, I am now confused as well.

Please ignore my previous post - it may not be correct!

Edit: Also from ACPO FAQ http://www.acpo.police.uk/Certificates/Police%20Certificates%20App%20Form.pdf

How long is my Police Certificate valid for?
There is no set period of time for which the Police Certificate is considered to be valid.
The Police Certificate is only truly valid on the day of issue. Embassies or High Commissions
will usually require you to produce a Police Certificate which has been issued no more than
six (6) months before your visa interview.

Rocky636

Jan 7, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th May 2010
Doc's Request.
23-August-2010 Asked RPRF & Pics return back
AOR Received.
23-June-10
File Transfer...
18-June-2010
Med's Done....
24-March-2010
Interview........
11-August-2010
Passport Req..
8-July-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-December-2010
LANDED..........
21-January-2011
nirgiti,
if u submitted ur file in New Delhi so i can say that here PCC valid for 3 months

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The police certificate must be no more than 3 months old on the date your application is received. That's a firm rule.

Under what circumstances they will request a new one seems to vary from visa office to visa office.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Siouxie said:
Now I am confused too!

I was informed by CIC London that my son's Police Certificate had expired, that it was only valid for 12 months (see below) and that his medical may also expire too.

Note: His previous Police certificate (ACPO) was issued in October 2008 and the background information was updated in October 2008 as well. Despite this, CIC London required him to submit background information backdated to our application submission date of February 2005, not just an update from October 2008.

Date: 11/19/09 03:51:07

This e-mail is regarding your son's application for permanent residence.

Please be advised that we have now received a satisfactory medical result, however, because the medical took so long to complete we require:

*Updated UK police certificate

*Updated personal history and address history since the date of the application

*IMM5406 Additional Family Information form

We are unable to continue processing the application without these documents. If the requested documents are not submitted within 30 days from the date of this e-mail, the medical will also expire and need to be repeated.

Yours sincerely,

I had also read that a current Police certificate was required when you land, but I can't for the life of me find the reference (I will keep looking).

On the CIC webite, guidance for Korea, http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/korea-coree/visas/processing_tips-conseils_traitement.aspx?lang=eng it states

Keep in mind that for any country that you are currently residing in, a police certificate will be valid for 12 months from the date of issuance. As such, you may wish to wait for our request before applying for the police certificate of the country you are currently residing. However, if you are applying in a category with priority processing (provincial nominees, family class with an approved sponsorship, skilled workers with arranged employment), you should provide all police certificates at the time of submission of the application.

So, as I said, I am now confused as well.

Please ignore my previous post - it may not be correct!

Edit: Also from ACPO FAQ http://www.acpo.police.uk/Certificates/Police%20Certificates%20App%20Form.pdf

How long is my Police Certificate valid for?
There is no set period of time for which the Police Certificate is considered to be valid.
The Police Certificate is only truly valid on the day of issue. Embassies or High Commissions
will usually require you to produce a Police Certificate which has been issued no more than
six (6) months before your visa interview.
Well, luckily APCO doesn't take too long, but I do wonder what other London applicants have been told! Sorry about the additional hassle :-(

Keep at 'er and it will be done before you know it and all this will seem like a silly bad dream.