+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long in job

pulsarbleu

Dec 18, 2007
Hi all,

I currently work in medical transcription, which is primarily a home based job and currently hold a very good job for a company in the US that employs transcriptionists in both the states and Canada.

Can this employer be considered an acceptable job since it would support me once I move?

If not, how long would I need to work for a Canadian based company after I gain permanent residence before I could change jobs back?

My primary motivation for thinking along these lines is that I would make considerably less money working for a starting wage for a Canadian company, though I am hoping to find a Canadian company who will pay based on experience and close that gap some. It just seems silly to quit a great job unnecessarily when the company worker base is 1/4 Canadian workers who live all over Canada. Naturally, I'll do what I have to do though. Immigrating is ultimately more important to me.

Thanks

fbf2006

Nov 29, 2007
So this company is based in the US and Canada? If they can offer you a position in Canada, i think that should work. They'll need to get an Arranged Employment Opinion from HRSDC though, and that would give you 10 points.

If this company is based solely in the US and somehow employs people in Canada, i'm not sure how that would work.

pulsarbleu

Dec 18, 2007
Thanks, I will double check with human resources to verify, but I believe they are a US based company with only 1 physical office in New Jersey. They are able to employ Canadian transcriptionists because we work from our homes for hospitals all over the world. They don't care where we live. There are many US transcription companies that employ Canadian workers and actively recruit in Canada. I work for one of them. I think that US transcription companies are appealing to Canadian workers because of the exchange rate before the Canadian and US dollar were so closely matched.