+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does the Citizenship application process take?

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
If your application is "routine" (aka: no red flags, no weird discrepancies in your addresses or work history, your taxes are in order, etc...) it's supposed to take around a year to 18 months. If you've got weirdness or irregularities in your application, it can take years and years.

Suplex_city

Oct 28, 2016
Coffee1981 said:
If your application is "routine" (aka: no red flags, no weird discrepancies in your addresses or work history, your taxes are in order, etc...) it's supposed to take around a year to 18 months. If you've got weirdness or irregularities in your application, it can take years and years.
But i checked on this forum people posting their application process.

ali393

Oct 19, 2016
Suplex_city said:
But i checked on this forum people posting their application process.
For the routine applications the website says around 12 months (IRCC Processing time). However, by looking at the spreadsheet you will realize that it is more like around 6 months if no irregularities. However, you must also consider the fact that a lot of the applications being submitted now were delayed to the law changes last year. So the volume of application will likely to pick up and might take more than 6 months to process your application.

willzou

Star Member
Sep 30, 2016
actually, the eligible applications are just same amount as before June 2015.
maybe some of them are waiting for new C-6.
but basically, there are still lots.

Besides the amount, I kindly think liberal increase the speed by intention. From 24 months in Conservatives to now around 6 months(although it claims 12 months in website, which is lower our expectation.)

ali393

Oct 19, 2016
willzou said:
actually, the eligible applications are just same amount as before June 2015.
maybe some of them are waiting for new C-6.
but basically, there are still lots.

Besides the amount, I kindly think liberal increase the speed by intention. From 24 months in Conservatives to now around 6 months(although it claims 12 months in website, which is lower our expectation.)

Yes they had to increase the speed because of the backlog they had...

I think the application number will go up. The reason being that most of the applying now had to wait an extra year in order to be eligible. That's why the number of application submitted took somewhat of a nose dive around this time last year. But it wither way 6 months is not a bad processing time.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suplex_city said:
People who have applied and got their citizenship, how long does it take?
It's a case to case basis.....no one can tell the exact processing times for each application. It also depends on what part of Canada you live, how complicated your application is, to missing docs etc.
I've seen applications that was processed as fast as 3-4 months or as slow as years. My application was 9 months from start to finish. My friends took at least 16 months..... I live in SK, where the IRCC officers divide their time going back and forth from Regina to Saskatoon ::) ::) ::)

Best of luck.