waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Graihn said:
My thing is, if the first long and painful attempt of sponsorship comes to an end, why not stay away from finding potential wives outside of Canada?
Probably cultural. For some, finding a mate from "back home" is preferred if the ethnic community here is small (hence small selection to choose from) or because the mate "back home" is less westernized. I'm not advocating it, just saying how people look at it.

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
keesio said:
Probably cultural. For some, finding a mate from "back home" is preferred if the ethnic community here is small (hence small selection to choose from) or because the mate "back home" is less westernized. I'm not advocating it, just saying how people look at it.
Ok I see. I thought same religion was the desire. Hard to realize how fortunate I feel to be able to choose freely between a man and woman, older and younger, Christian or atheist, marry wherever and whoever, and still my family will be just as supportive, and not have this "book" that tells me what to do.

Dukpabhom

Jan 13, 2015
I sponsored my spouse and we had lots of problem together n divorced, so now do I have to wait and count from the day he landed at the canadian airport In order to comp,ete 3 yr I'm not allowed to apply for sponsorship under taking for anyone for 3 yrs right? Since divorce finalized can I marry outside Canada or wait for he 3yr term
Thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Dukpabhom said:
I sponsored my spouse and we had lots of problem together n divorced, so now do I have to wait and count from the day he landed at the canadian airport In order to comp,ete 3 yr I'm not allowed to apply for sponsorship under taking for anyone for 3 yrs right? Since divorce finalized can I marry outside Canada or wait for he 3yr term
Thanks
It is my understanding that as long as you have financial obligation (3 year after landing) to the first spouse, you cannot sponsor another. However you can marry another outside Canada after divorce. Nobody is stopping you. However you will not be able to sponsor the new spouse until your 3 year obligation to the original applicant is finished. The divorced sponsored spouse can remarry anyone, just that she/he will not be able to sponsor the spouse for 5 years after landing for PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dukpabhom said:
Thanks
You can get married now - but you can't sponsor your new spouse until the three year period has passed.

ROCK909

May 6, 2015
Hi Friends,

My friend is also in similar situation. His spouse has to land with in next 3 weeks but now they are in process of divorce. If Divorce is granted(out side Canada) and if he gets married for second time. Is it possible for him to Sponsor Second wife any time or any time period he needs to wait(If first first Wife does not land and her landing VISA expires and her status not changed to PR).

Thanks.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
ROCK909 said:
Hi Friends,

My friend is also in similar situation. His spouse has to land with in next 3 weeks but now they are in process of divorce. If Divorce is granted(out side Canada) and if he gets married for second time. Is it possible for him to Sponsor Second wife any time or any time period he needs to wait(If first first Wife does not land and her landing VISA expires and her status not changed to PR).

Thanks.
If he sponsored his current spouse he needs to contact CIC to try to cancel her COPR before she lands. If he did not sponsor her and she received her COPR due to another immigration stream there is nothing he can do and she can land as long as her visa is valid.

I suspect that even if she does not land and her visa expires and he tries to sponsor another spouse relatively soon after that CIC is going to get very suspicious of his situation and likely will drag a new application through the mud and back before granting another visa to a different spouse.

F-Ray

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i was reading this post and therefore, few informations i got from different sources and opinions.

However, for myself i am still trying to figure out what this law specifically talk about and so far my personal understanding about this law can be wrong too.

Please read this as an open discussion and feedback will be highly appreciated

So let's start

At first, let's assume a person is a sponsored spouse from previous husband or wife and his or her application as a sponsored spouse was received before march 2012 to CIC and later in March 2013 he or she got PR.

and in 2015 first marriage ended and a person moved on his or her life and again married someone later in 2016 and want to sponsor new spouse.

First question is am i eligible to sponsor or not? and do i fall under 5 year ban or not so let's take it step by step.

Because before submitting an application to sponsor someone is to check person's eligibility.

So let's open the guide 5525 to check. link is giving below.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5525ETOC.asp#spouse

and see "Read more about eligibility requirements in the Complete Guide." link is given below
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#eligibility

Are you eligible to sponsor?

To sponsor, you must…

be a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or permanent resident,
be 18 years of age or older,
live in Canada or have proof, if you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, that you will live in Canada after the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident,
sign an undertaking promising to provide for your family member’s basic needs and, if it applies to you, those of any dependent children,
If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor,
prove that you have enough income to provide basic needs for your spouse or partner’s dependent children. This means meeting or exceeding a minimum necessary income, which is an amount published yearly by the Canadian government. You must submit documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months only if the spouse or partner you are sponsoring has a grandchild who is coming with them (see subsection 1(3) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) for more information). You would not provide those documents to IRCC if you live in Quebec.

You may not be able to sponsor if you…

signed an undertaking for a previous spouse or partner and and it has not been three years since he or she became a permanent resident,
receive social assistance for a reason other than disability,
previously sponsored someone and did not pay back any social assistance that they received while the undertaking was in place.
are in default on an immigration loan or a performance bond
did not pay court-ordered alimony or child support
For more information. See Defaults below.
have declared bankruptcy which has not been discharged
were convicted of
an offence of a sexual nature,
a violent crime,
an offence against a relative that caused bodily harm or
threatened or attempted to commit any of the above offences—depending on the nature of the offence, how long ago it happened and if you received a pardon
For more information. See Sponsorship Bar for Violent Crime
were previously sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and became a permanent resident of Canada less than five years ago, For more information. See Five-year Sponsorship Bar
are under a removal order,
are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison,
have already applied to sponsor your current spouse or partner and haven’t received a decision.

simply click on the "see Five- year sponsorship bar" (keep in mind we are still looking a person's eligibility to sponsor someone or not). click the link below

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#bar

Five-year sponsorship bar for people who were sponsored to come to Canada as a spouse or partner

If a spouse or partner sponsored you, you cannot sponsor a new spouse or partner within five years of becoming a permanent resident.
This rule applies even if you got your Canadian citizenship within those five years. Other members of the Family Class will not be affected by the rule change.

Spouses and partners sponsored before

Date IRCC got your sponsorship application (i believe the word "YOUR" indicate the previously sponsored spouse because next line still talk about eligibility to sponsor someone.

Are you eligible to sponsor someone?

Before March 2, 2012

The five-year sponsorship bar does not apply, no matter when you became a permanent resident.

On or after March 2, 2012

The five-year sponsorship bar applies. You cannot sponsor someone until you have been a permanent resident for five years.

Again, the key word here is "Are you eligible to sponsor someone? which means, it is still talking about person eligibility to sponsor someone or not in future.

now let's take into more detail and we will see the "Operational Bulletin 386 (modified) – March 2, 2012"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob386.asp

Scenarios for previously sponsored spouses/partners:

[size=10pt][size=10pt]Date of Sponsorship Application Eligibility to sponsor

Sponsorship application received prior to regulatory amendment
coming into force (prior to March 2, 2012)
Not subject to the five-year sponsorship bar regardless of date
sponsor became a PR

Sponsorship application received on or following the day the regulatory
amendment came into force(on or after March 2, 2012) Subject to the five-year sponsorship bar.
[/size][/size]
On this OB there are two words which i think according to my understanding are still talking about person's eligibility to sponsor someone

First, this law specifically address to those people who been previously sponsored by their former spouse because the key word here is "previously sponsored spouses/partners" because there is no other sponsored person who are under this law so only one "who are previously sponsored as a spouses/partners".

Second, for further authentication for "previously sponsored as a spouses/partners" the key word still here is Eligibility TO sponsor.

which indicate that "i am as a sponsor and i am looking to my eligibility to sponsor someone in future.

Therefore, i think the word used in here is "TO" which refer to future applications eligibility not under process applications.

that's why i don't think it talk about other applications who are already submitted or are under process to sponsoring a new spouse at the time of this law come into force.

i hope i clear my point so please it is an open discussion and any thought or argument will be highly appreciated to discuss

Thanks

Deepsidhu65

Oct 5, 2017
I was reading all comments and wondering and want to ask a question . As my sister is an applicant her husband is a citizen in Canada he sponsored my cousion so she came to Canada and now she got her PR and everything but now they are getting divorced as things don’t seem good so this I got that they can’t sponsor somebody out of Canada but can she or her husband can marry here in canada to somebody ?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
I was reading all comments and wondering and want to ask a question . As my sister is an applicant her husband is a citizen in Canada he sponsored my cousion so she came to Canada and now she got her PR and everything but now they are getting divorced as things don’t seem good so this I got that they can’t sponsor somebody out of Canada but can she or her husband can marry here in canada to somebody ?
Instead of grabbing onto an old post, you should start your own one, new. This mean people can see it, and offer suggestions specific to you.

It's not clear what your question is. Who was married to each other? Who sponsored whom, and how? What do you want to do now?

It looks like English isn't your native language. That's fine, we're happy to help! :) I advise you to use short sentences. It will help to keep your questions more clear.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
My question is that the sponser or the applicant who came to Canada can marry after there divorce
After getting divorced, both the sponsor and the applicant can get married to other people.

If the applicant marries another non-Canadian, the applicant cannot become a sponsor for their new partner immediately. They would have to wait until five years after the applicant arrived in Canada.