+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to sponsor from within Canada?

How long did it take (when sponsoring someone from WITHIN Canada) from the day that CIC Vegreville o

• More than a year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between 6 months and a year

• Less than 6 months

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheryl

Feb 5, 2005
Hello,

My boyfriend (Australian) and I (Canadian) applied as Common Law partners. He was here on the Temporary Work/Holiday Visa (it's a special agreement between Aussies and Canadians to allow people under 30 to work in each other's country -- hence all the Aussies at Cdn ski resorts) and during this time we were living together for a year. Therefore we are legally commonlaw. After his Temp. Work/Holiday Visa ran out he left the country for a bit and then applied for a Visitors Visa. We sent the Sponsorship Application to Vegreville and it took 4 months for CIC to open it. Within a month, we were sent letters that stated that I was approved for sponsoring plus he met the eligibility requirements. This is the part that we are confused about. He can now apply for an "Open Work Permit". This will cost money (non-refundable of course) and take more time. Do we wait for the PR to come in the mail? I've tried to find out how long it takes to get from the stage we're at to the the Permanent Residence Approval. Some people say weeks, some people say a year. Does anyone know how long? Should we wait it out?

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light!

Cheers,
Cheryl

nature

Feb 7, 2007
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times/process-in.html#temp_res

This web may help.