+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to receive first time Canada PR card once COPR has been received

vishal128901

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
Yeah, I got new SIN with the COPR and can do pretty much everything with it that I could be doing with the card EXCEPT travel outside :(.

vishal128901

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
@vishal128901 Once we get COPR, will our work permit be invalidated? If yes, can't we travel out on COPR and come back and reapply ?
yes - work permit will be invalidated.
You cannot travel on the COPR since as soon as the COPR is issued, you work permit gets invalidated. The only other option is to apply for one time entry PR Visa at the Canadian consulate in the country you are visiting. Unfortunately, I was told that it would take the same amount of time as a PR card.

AlCanPR

Star Member
Dec 7, 2020
Hi,
I am an inland CEC applicant and have received CoPR on June 13, 2020. Based on instructions therein, I had submitted my photographs which reached the IRCC Edmonton office around Jun 30, 2020. Then on July 8, 2020, the final decision that my application has been approved was made which was updated on my CIC application.

Based on the CoPR document, my permanent resident card is being produced and mailed to my address on file. It’s been over 3 months since then and I haven't received my Permanent Resident card in the mail yet. Also I have successfully linked the PR Card application to my CIC profile, where my PR application status still shows as "submitted"

I have submitted the IRCC webform twice, but received a generic response each time saying that my application is under process. Wanted to know when should I expect to receive my PR card in the mail?
Hi,

My COPR and photos were delivered to the Edmonton office on June 26, 2020, and I have not received my card yet. I linked my application to my CIC online account but the status is still "submitted". I have also submitted the IRCC webform and also called them twice, but received a generic response each time saying that my application is under process. It's been 195 days! Have you received your card yet?

Ajnim

Oct 18, 2018
yes - work permit will be invalidated.
You cannot travel on the COPR since as soon as the COPR is issued, you work permit gets invalidated. The only other option is to apply for one time entry PR Visa at the Canadian consulate in the country you are visiting. Unfortunately, I was told that it would take the same amount of time as a PR card.
Could you please send me the link where you were told that cannot travel when having COPR, because I have copr too and I'm planning to travel soon. your help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
Could you please send me the link where you were told that cannot travel when having COPR, because I have copr too and I'm planning to travel soon. your help will be much appreciated. Thanks
COPR is not a travel document so you cannot travel with it. just like you cannot travel with a work permit/study permit. You can travel but you need the pr card to be able to board a flight (or any commercial vehicle) to re-enter Canada. The other option is you travel and then you apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document. it can only be used once and that is to enter Canada and you must be outside of Canada to apply for it. Both PR cards and PRTD are taking some time to be issued.

Ajnim

Oct 18, 2018
COPR is not a travel document so you cannot travel with it. just like you cannot travel with a work permit/study permit. You can travel but you need the pr card to be able to board a flight (or any commercial vehicle) to re-enter Canada. The other option is you travel and then you apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document. it can only be used once and that is to enter Canada and you must be outside of Canada to apply for it. Both PR cards and PRTD are taking some time to be issued.

Ajnim

Oct 18, 2018
Thank you for the info. appreciate it

Reactions: Yuki.03

haziqpathan

Jan 24, 2020
Hi,

My COPR and photos were delivered to the Edmonton office on June 26, 2020, and I have not received my card yet. I linked my application to my CIC online account but the status is still "submitted". I have also submitted the IRCC webform and also called them twice, but received a generic response each time saying that my application is under process. It's been 195 days! Have you received your card yet?
Not yet. Still waiting. I have filled IRCC webform 4 times and each time got a response that the application is in process. Finally, called CIC yesterday. They asked me to share the photos tracking information and mentioned they will add a note on my application. I hope this helps them to take further action. They did not provide any processing information. Did you call CIC yet and what kind of response did you get ?

AlCanPR

Star Member
Dec 7, 2020
Not yet. Still waiting. I have filled IRCC webform 4 times and each time got a response that the application is in process. Finally, called CIC yesterday. They asked me to share the photos tracking information and mentioned they will add a note on my application. I hope this helps them to take further action. They did not provide any processing information. Did you call CIC yet and what kind of response did you get ?
I called them twice at 888-242-2100 (in Canada only) and both times they told me I have to wait and the applications will be processed. How did you ask them to put a note on your application? That would be promising and better than nothing.

haziqpathan

Jan 24, 2020
I called them twice at 888-242-2100 (in Canada only) and both times they told me I have to wait and the applications will be processed. How did you ask them to put a note on your application? That would be promising and better than nothing.
I had called the same number you mentioned. Actually it was my first time calling them and didnt knew what to expect. I just ask them if there is something they can do as it has been way too long since receipt of CoPR and the agent said she can add a note to my application. See if you can do the same when you can call the next time. Let us know how did it go.

vishal128901

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
The agent told me on the phone. You will need a PRTD (PR Traveling doc) from the Canadian consulate in India if you go out just on a COPR without the PR card in hand. You can raise a web form requesting the PR card be expedited if you have an emergency but it is on their discretion if they will accommodate your request or not.
COPR does prove that you are a permanent resident but unfortunately it is not a travel document if you plan to fly in from a different country. If however, you travel by car from the US to Canada I think you can use your COPR to come in.

Reactions: rahul.calgary

Santy18

Star Member
Jul 8, 2020
Anyone who has applied over mail with photos for PR card post COPR at Kitchener VO? How long does it take to process PR card applications at Kitchener VO..any ideas?