+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to receive acknowledgement for Open Work Permit(OWP) for inland applicants?

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
Hi, Sorry for barging in between the conversation, but it seems like the right place to ask -

I am applying for inland spouse PR sponsorship and have filled all the forms according to the checklist.
I am trying to figure out what is the separate open Work permit application I need to fill along with the PR sponsorship?
I cannot see it in the spousal checklist.

is it just the one mentioned in IMM 5556 ?
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5556e.pdf

My husband is in a closed work permit. In the form IMM5710 what should be the option we have to tick in this case -
1. Apply for a work permit with the same employer
2. Applying for a work permit for the first time with a new employer.
3. Restore my status as a worker
4. Get a new temporary resident permit

Kindly help !

wanderer88

May 1, 2019
Fortunately, in our situation in came shortly after that message, however from the searching I did at the time this duration can vary from 1 to a few months (3,4). I think you can call them up and inquire about your application, not sure if it speeds thing along but I remember calling shortly after getting the AOR. I think the number I used was 1-888-242-2100. I can't remember how I got to talk to a human but there was a forum thread that helped with this if I remember correctly.

Also, I believe that as long as your visitor visa isn't rejected (which is rare enough, at least in my experience) and your current visitor visa ends before you get an approval on your new visitor visa application, you will be covered under assumed status.
Thanks. Good news. I just received the acknowledgement email 1 day after posting my query here. So it took exactly 2 months to receive the acknowledgement (with Christmas, New Year, Thanksgiving etc in between).
Also, as per my information, the application for the open work permit (which is an application to extend stay as a worker in Canada) should have an implied status. So do not need to apply for a visitor record (extend status as a visitor) separately.

wanderer88

May 1, 2019
Hi, Sorry for barging in between the conversation, but it seems like the right place to ask -

I am applying for inland spouse PR sponsorship and have filled all the forms according to the checklist.
I am trying to figure out what is the separate open Work permit application I need to fill along with the PR sponsorship?
I cannot see it in the spousal checklist.

is it just the one mentioned in IMM 5556 ?
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5556e.pdf

My husband is in a closed work permit. In the form IMM5710 what should be the option we have to tick in this case -
1. Apply for a work permit with the same employer
2. Applying for a work permit for the first time with a new employer.
3. Restore my status as a worker
4. Get a new temporary resident permit

Kindly help !
hey sorry for late response. Just noticed no one replied to this..
open work permit is for ones whose spouse has a work permit (can apply for open work permit from outside Canada also)
OR
whose spouse has a PR (in this case it has to be submitted only along with PR or after applying for PR. Cannot apply without PR application. Also, in this case only inland application(from inside Canada) ).
I am currently on visitor visa, so in the form IMM5710 in my case I had to select:

Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer.

For open work permit I had to fill IMM5710

Your check list and conditions/documents etc might be different.
My document checklist was imm5533. which has the heading SPOUSE (INCLUDING DEPENDENT CHILDREN)
In that there is a checkbox No or Yes for "I am also including an Open Work Permit application"
The above checkbox is under "I am currently living in Canada with my sponsor"

Last edited: