+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to find a job through a PNP program?

Naila Iffat

Mar 25, 2014
Hi, we plan to apply soon for a PNP. We hope to immigrate to Canada, from India. We have close family living there.

We were wondering, if one has experience of 18 yrs in the IT field (Dell, HP, DXC), is it possible to get a job offer before one immigrates? How long does it take on an average for experienced IT folks to get a job? We are uncomfortable to move unless we have a job offer in hand.

Are there any particular provinces where it is easier to find an IT job? We are not eligible for Ontario & British Columbia because of the age (44 yrs).

Any help/advice would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are you eligible for Express Entry due to age? What is your eligibility and CRS score?

A job will be very difficult unless you get a job offer with LMIA. In Canada, getting a job depends on where you live and your experience and whether people are hiring.

Naila Iffat

Mar 25, 2014
Hi, thank you for your reply! Our CRS score is low, hence we have been suggested the PNP scheme. They (consultancy) said we are eligible to apply, but my husband will hardly get any points for his age. But his experience will be a big plus, & the fact that his sister is a Canadian citizen, plus there are more relatives in Canada. He has a Bachelor's.

They told us that some of the provinces we can apply to are Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Alberta (only with a job offer) & a couple of other islands. They said Ontario will be very difficult, so will British Columbia.

We decided to go through a consultancy because there is a lot of paperwork involved & we just do not have the time or patience to do all of it alone. We are afraid we might make a mistake or overlook something important.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, thank you for your reply! Our CRS score is low, hence we have been suggested the PNP scheme. They (consultancy) said we are eligible to apply, but my husband will hardly get any points for his age. But his experience will be a big plus, & the fact that his sister is a Canadian citizen, plus there are more relatives in Canada. He has a Bachelor's.

They told us that some of the provinces we can apply to are Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Alberta (only with a job offer) & a couple of other islands. They said Ontario will be very difficult, so will British Columbia.

We decided to go through a consultancy because there is a lot of paperwork involved & we just do not have the time or patience to do all of it alone. We are afraid we might make a mistake or overlook something important.
Are you eligible? You need 67+ points so assume your spouse has almost perfect IELTS scores and you have good scores.

You don’t have a very good consultant so hope you are not paying this person. IF your family doesn’t live in Sask. then your score will be too low with a bachelors. Do you have family in Manitoba, if not that is out. Nova Scotia requires a job offer. BC - job offer. Ontario - CRS too low. Alberta - maybe but CRS low.

Reactions: Naila Iffat

Naila Iffat

Mar 25, 2014
Thanks for your msg. My husband's sister lives in Ontario. My mom's brother also lives in Ontario. We would like to apply to Ontario, my husband will just manage to make 67-69. My points will be around 77. But our CRS is around 360 & 440 respectively. Is that too low for Ontario, if we apply for the OINP?

My husband has 18+ years of IT experience & I have around 10+ years of experience in teaching/writing. Do we have a good chance of being nominated for the OINP despite our age & if we have family in Ontario? Our consultant was saying it's easier to apply for the Saskatchewan or Manitoba PNP instead of OINP.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your msg. My husband's sister lives in Ontario. My mom's brother also lives in Ontario. We would like to apply to Ontario, my husband will just manage to make 67-69. My points will be around 77. But our CRS is around 360 & 440 respectively. Is that too low for Ontario, if we apply for the OINP?

My husband has 18+ years of IT experience & I have around 10+ years of experience in teaching/writing. Do we have a good chance of being nominated for the OINP despite our age & if we have family in Ontario? Our consultant was saying it's easier to apply for the Saskatchewan or Manitoba PNP instead of OINP.
I don’t understand how you have calculated your points as you count yourself together. Are these your scores as you as the primary applicant (440) and then him as primary applicant (360). How is your score so much higher? Are you bilingual?

Unfortunately, You have no chance for Ontario with your score. Family in Ontario gives you no extra points for OINP. Don’t know your husband’s NOC but Tech Draws are in the 430-470 range. Guessing you are a teacher and your NOC is not even drawn in Ontario.

Manitoba requires family or a job offer. Look at Saskatchewan as they have their own points system. What are your NOCs because some are ineligible or require a license.

Naila Iffat

Mar 25, 2014
I don’t understand how you have calculated your points as you count yourself together. Are these your scores as you as the primary applicant (440) and then him as primary applicant (360). How is your score so much higher? Are you bilingual?

Unfortunately, You have no chance for Ontario with your score. Family in Ontario gives you no extra points for OINP. Don’t know your husband’s NOC but Tech Draws are in the 430-470 range. Guessing you are a teacher and your NOC is not even drawn in Ontario.

Manitoba requires family or a job offer. Look at Saskatchewan as they have their own points system. What are your NOCs because some are ineligible or require a license.
Hey, ya, what I meant was individual points, as 2 separate applicants. Whoever has the higher points, has more chances of nomination right?

I'm 4 years younger than my husband, so I get extra points there. I have a double Master's as well. And a diploma in French. French was my second language in school/university. I plan to give the TEF to increase my scores.

My husband's NOC is 2171. He's a Senior Service Delivery Manager at an IT firm, & has 18 years of experience. We just want to know how we can increase our chances of being selected to the OINP. We thought having family helps adds points?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey, ya, what I meant was individual points, as 2 separate applicants. Whoever has the higher points, has more chances of nomination right?

I'm 4 years younger than my husband, so I get extra points there. I have a double Master's as well. And a diploma in French. French was my second language in school/university. I plan to give the TEF to increase my scores.

My husband's NOC is 2171. He's a Senior Service Delivery Manager at an IT firm, & has 18 years of experience. We just want to know how we can increase our chances of being selected to the OINP. We thought having family helps adds points?
OINP doesn't have points for family. The program probably gets enough applications so they don't need to consider family in Ontario. As long as you both are on each other's applications as married, then yes. Are you calculating the scores as accompanying or non accompanying?

If you have the higher score you should be the main applicant. If you are then it is your NOC not your husband's that is considered. Assume you have ECAs for your Masters as many times they are not assessed as such. What is your NOC? Since you are fluent in both languages and have CLB 7 in French, then you may be eligible for the OINP French Language stream. The last draw for this stream was a minimum of 458. You need to research each program.

Ontario’s Express Entry French-Speaking Skilled Worker stream | Ontario.ca

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) | Ontario.ca

Your husband will not get a nomination for Ontario. His score is too low unless he gets a job offer but that is difficult.