+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how long does it take for the "landing" procedure itself?

Feb 27, 2007
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about how many days it takes to "land".
I did my medical checkup and now all I have to do is send my passport, get it back with the visa, and land to get my PR card. But I don't want to live in Canada right away, as i am still working in my home country, I won't really be going to live in canada for maybe 1-2 years. Can I just "land", get the card, maybe get my social insurance card and leave canada again in 3 days if I wanted to, and re-enter 2 years later to fulfill my 3-year presence in canada for every 5-year period?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Iriomoteyamaneko said:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about how many days it takes to "land".
I did my medical checkup and now all I have to do is send my passport, get it back with the visa, and land to get my PR card. But I don't want to live in Canada right away, as i am still working in my home country, I won't really be going to live in canada for maybe 1-2 years. Can I just "land", get the card, maybe get my social insurance card and leave canada again in 3 days if I wanted to, and re-enter 2 years later to fulfill my 3-year presence in canada for every 5-year period?
Yes, but your PR card will only be delivered to an address in Canada and takes 30 days.
By the way it is 2 years residence in every 5.

PMM

craig53

Feb 1, 2006
Having just been through this situation-- keep in mind you have a one-time shot at bringing all your possessions through tax/duty free. When we landed with the same intention as you immigration was fine but customs wanted our list of "goods to follow." Fortunately they worked with us on this and we went through okay but the situation you are going to run into is how accurate your possesions inventory is going to be if you're not moving for 2 years, and whether they will accept this.

craig53

Feb 1, 2006
Landing is when you actually physically cross the border to stay-- the term probably harkens back to the days when everyone came by ship.