Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
Is the processing time same for bowp as a regular work permit? i.e 140 days if applied online?
If yes, then I think I should be safe either way as 140 days are more than enough to surpass r10 check IMO.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
purplesnow said:
what? BOWP applications will not be frozen. BOWP apps and PR apps are done independently of each other. When the person doing your BOWP app, checks your PR app, if you haven't passed eligibility at that stage they reject it immediately, there's no waiting around for an update.
Either I'm misreading the highlighted portion or your understanding is wrong.

If a foreign national submits an APR using Express Entry, they may apply for a BOWP if they meet the eligibility requirements. However, a decision on the application will not be made until the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) has assessed the e‑APR for completeness. A BOWP can be issued only if the e‑APR has passed the R10 completeness check.
Source ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Either I'm misreading the highlighted portion or your understanding is wrong.

Source ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp
You're misreading it. It needs to have passed the completeness check before they can process the application - whether it's approved or rejected is then based on the merits of the application. That doesn't mean they'll wait for it to get to that stage, they have timelines to meet, people can't stay on implied status indefinitely.
If the app hasn't gotten to that stage by the time they look at it, too bad. It's the applicants responsibility to ensure they meet the eligibility requirements, one being having passed that completeness check at time of application for bowp.
Having gone through the bowp process, knowing many others who have gone through it and some who've been rejected for precisely that reason- not passed completeness check when they went to process it, they definitely do not keep ineligible applications open waiting on an update from a different department.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
purplesnow said:
You're misreading it. It needs to have passed the completeness check before they can process the application - whether it's approved or rejected is then based on the merits of the application. That doesn't mean they'll wait for it to get to that stage, they have timelines to meet, people can't stay on implied status indefinitely.
If the app hasn't gotten to that stage by the time they look at it, too bad. It's the applicants responsibility to ensure they meet the eligibility requirements, one being having passed that completeness check at time of application for bowp.
Having gone through the bowp process, knowing many others who have gone through it and some who've been rejected for precisely that reason- not passed completeness check when they went to process it, they definitely do not keep ineligible applications open waiting on an update from a different department.
But how would an applicant know when to file a BOWP? Should they wait 'x' months after their eAPR before filing an application? The only time-based regulation that appears on the BOWP eligibility list is that one must apply within 4 months of expiry of their WP.

The rules have been modified twice since the start of EE. Earlier they wanted applicants to wait for AOR before applying and now one can apply with eAPR. The reason for letting someone with an eAPR apply is that IRCC is aware that such an application will hit the R10 milestone soon enough.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
But how would an applicant know when to file a BOWP? Should they wait 'x' months after their eAPR before filing an application? The only time-based regulation that appears on the BOWP eligibility list is that one must apply within 4 months of expiry of their WP.

The rules have been modified twice since the start of EE. Earlier they wanted applicants to wait for AOR before applying and now one can apply with eAPR. The reason for letting someone with an eAPR apply is that IRCC is aware that such an application will hit the R10 milestone soon enough.
which is exactly why people wait until the last possible moment - a week/few days before the permit expires - in order to give themselves the best possible chance of having reached R10 stage before the BOWP is processed. Its been a pain because they didn't send out the second AOR so people don't really know for sure, its a bit of a gamble whereas with the old system once they did get an AOR they knew they were eligible for bowp.
They let people apply with the eAPR because no one is getting the second AOR and people were running out of time, that doesn't change the fact that you still have to have passed eligibility by the time someone goes to process it or it will be rejected.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
purplesnow said:
which is exactly why people wait until the last possible moment - a week/few days before the permit expires - in order to give themselves the best possible chance of having reached R10 stage before the BOWP is processed. Its been a pain because they didn't send out the second AOR so people don't really know for sure, its a bit of a gamble whereas with the old system once they did get an AOR they knew they were eligible for bowp.
They let people apply with the eAPR because no one is getting the second AOR and people were running out of time, that doesn't change the fact that you still have to have passed eligibility by the time someone goes to process it or it will be rejected.
Valid points.

However I still believe that allowing a BOWP submission on the back of an eAPR is partial evidence to the fact that IRCC is allowing at most a 4 month window within which most, if not all, EE applications should hit the R10 stage. Unless someone comes back to the forum with evidence to the contrary and having been refused a BOWP only because their PR application did not meet R10 completeness as on that specific date when the officer looked up their BOWP application for the first time, it does appear that BOWP application will be in 'limbo' till the EE application hits the R10 stage.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting and valid points made; @AsivadAnac, @purplesnow

I just submitted my application and I have 4 months and 3.5 weeks left on my Working Visa so hopefully my R10 may have passed by then, but given its CIC you never know.

Also, I just don't understand how some people on this forum are getting processed in just over 1 month and other people are taking 6 months +. Maybe certain Visa Offices are so busy and others are not. Guess that means everyone who submit should keep their fingers crossed that their file is transferred to a less busy office.

Just my thinking but I may be wrong.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Valid points.

However I still believe that allowing a BOWP submission on the back of an eAPR is partial evidence to the fact that IRCC is allowing at most a 4 month window within which most, if not all, EE applications should hit the R10 stage. Unless someone comes back to the forum with evidence to the contrary and having been refused a BOWP only because their PR application did not meet R10 completeness as on that specific date when the officer looked up their BOWP application for the first time, it does appear that BOWP application will be in 'limbo' till the EE application hits the R10 stage.
heres one from last week. the OP applied for bowp in October. Got ITA and submitted PR application in January. Officer then started working on the bowp app in February. Saw there was a PR application submitted. Saw there was an AOR. but saw it hadn't passed R10 and rejected it.
you know CIC well enough by now to know there is little to no flexibility with them. They don't give any leeway, they don't make exceptions often and they don't wait around for the applicant to provide extra information or get to the eligibility point they should have been at before submitting an application.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/restoration-r10-has-passed-can-i-restore-for-a-work-permit/-t397045.0.html;msg4963559#msg4963559

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/restoration-r10-has-passed-can-i-restore-for-a-work-permit-t397801.0.html

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoacRy said:
Interesting and valid points made; @AsivadAnac, @purplesnow

I just submitted my application and I have 4 months and 3.5 weeks left on my Working Visa so hopefully my R10 may have passed by then, but given its CIC you never know.

Also, I just don't understand how some people on this forum are getting processed in just over 1 month and other people are taking 6 months +. Maybe certain Visa Offices are so busy and others are not. Guess that means everyone who submit should keep their fingers crossed that their file is transferred to a less busy office.

Just my thinking but I may be wrong.
you're FSW inland right? I was too. Took 2 months to get to R10 passed on mine. you have loads of time. you can wait till near the end of your visa to apply for your bowp.

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
purplesnow said:
heres one from last week. the OP applied for bowp in October. Got ITA and submitted PR application in January. Officer then started working on the bowp app in February. Saw there was a PR application submitted. Saw there was an AOR. but saw it hadn't passed R10 and rejected it.
you know CIC well enough by now to know there is little to no flexibility with them. They don't give any leeway, they don't make exceptions often and they don't wait around for the applicant to provide extra information or get to the eligibility point they should have been at before submitting an application.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/restoration-r10-has-passed-can-i-restore-for-a-work-permit/-t397045.0.html;msg4963559#msg4963559

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/restoration-r10-has-passed-can-i-restore-for-a-work-permit-t397801.0.html

So that person applied for bowp before getting ITA? I don't think you can apply for bowp without AOR. It is one of the requirement to send a copy of AOR with the BOWP application.

expressentryqueen

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14th
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
January 14th
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
03-07-2016
*Quote* Urgent: CIC refused my work permit application, ITA already received!
« on: February 05, 2016, 04:43:54 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote
Hi Guys,

Your help is needed, urgently as I don't know what to do anymore!

My 3-yr post graduation work permit expired last November, on Oct 15 I submitted my work permit extension application online, at that moment I had not been invited for EE. Jan 06 2016, I got the ITA invitation and on Jan 22 I submitted the PR application! Today I got an refusal letter from CIC that my application for work permit extension is refused as my positive eligibility assessment on the APR is not yet passed! I was working under implied status for the past two months and my temporary resident status expire TODAY!

They say that I might apply for restoration, within 90 days from today! What should I do now? Does anyone know if I apply for restoration, am I still be eligible to work right now under implied status? And ITA received does not guarantee they approve my work permit extension, right?

Guys your help is really needed now!! Please help me!! *Quote*

I believe the OP purplesnow referred to has a totally different case. He applied for Work permit Extension and not BOWP. I find myself leaning towards Asivad's explanation. From the most recent links provided above, CIC now allows applicants to apply using the AOR generated immediately after application. I will believe this is because they want to help speed up applications.

If you read this excerpt here:

If a foreign national submits an APR using Express Entry, they may apply for a BOWP if they meet the eligibility requirements. However, a decision on the application will not be made until the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) has assessed the e‑APR for completeness. A BOWP can be issued only if the e‑APR has passed the R10 completeness check.

Before issuing a BOWP, officers must check the Global Case Management System (GCMS) to ensure that the CIO has reviewed the application and determined that it meets the requirements of a complete application as described in sections R10 and R12.01. If the e‑APR is incomplete, the application for a BOWP must be refused. The open work permit holder fee can be refunded, but the processing fees cannot.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

It says that a decision will not be made. I believe a decision here includes either an approval or rejection decision. Thus, Asivad is right in saying the application will be frozen until the CIO assesses the e-APR for completeness. CIC has clearly stated that it will not issue a BOWP until it is satisfied that the R10 requirement has been passed. I hope this helps clarify things!! :) :)

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manidhatt said:
So that person applied for bowp before getting ITA? I don't think you can apply for bowp without AOR. It is one of the requirement to send a copy of AOR with the BOWP application.
Exactly! This was a flawed application.

daomingli

Jan 25, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
Exactly! This was a flawed application.
nope, CIC confirmed its not because of when i submitted it, its because i havent passed the R10 YET. bad timing is the only thing. My work permit application was proceeded too fast.....if it takes 150 days to proceed, it will be fine, for my case it took only 89 days....

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
daomingli said:
nope, CIC confirmed its not because of when i submitted it, its because i havent passed the R10 YET. bad timing is the only thing. My work permit application was proceeded too fast.....if it takes 150 days to proceed, it will be fine, for my case it took only 89 days....
Not really.

You submitted a BOWP application without having either an APR (paper application) or eAPR (EE application) at the time of submission. That is a flawed application.