+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does getting the proof of CA citizenship take? We've been waiting for almost a year!

riumei

Sep 21, 2020
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has recently applied for a proof of CA citizenship in the last year, especially from outside of Canada. We are in the US and applied for son's proof of citizenship back in November. In February, we got confirmation the application was received on Dec 4, 2019. Since then, I've sent multiple IRCC webform and only gotten generic answers. It's been almost 10 months and no status has been updated. I know there is COVID and all, but is this really in the normal range of processing times? We are desperate to move our family to Canada from the US, but until my son has his citizenship proof, I don't see how we can do that (border crossing, finding him daycare, etc) This is really taking a toll on our family. Should I send in a new application?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you request urgent processing, based on an immediate need to return to Canada?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/apply/urgently.html

IRCC has this under "Processing Times":

"Due to the impacts of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), we can’t

• process applications normally
  • provide accurate processing times
We’re prioritizing applications from

• Canadians trying to return to Canada
  • vulnerable people
  • people who perform or support essential services"
Also look here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/urgent-processing-of-certificate-of-citizenship-for-newborn-infant.703090/

Last edited:

riumei

Sep 21, 2020
When we initially applied, we applied for urgent processing. That request was rejected, even pre-covid. I tried to mention that we are trying to move to Canada ASAP in the webform, but that didn't help either. Is there another way to request urgent processing now?

Does anyone know on average how long the certificate of Canadian citizenship is actually taking?

riumei

Sep 21, 2020
anyone with any info who recently may be applied for the certificate of citizenship? We are pretty desperate at this point.

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What travel document your son has? I mean how did he move from Canada to US?

riumei

Sep 21, 2020
Only a US passport. He was born in the US. We've been in the US since he is born, but his father is Canadian and I have COPR. Technically we could enter Canada I believe, as he falls under "immediate family member of a Canadian citizen." But we are worried he won't be able to get access to any healthcare and childcare needed without a proper Canadian identification. So until he has proper ID in Canada, we are blocked from moving.