+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can visitor stay in Canada

julieneuls167

Mar 13, 2016
My mom is 58 yrs old and she can't speak English. She just got the visitor visa for 10 years to visit me. I wrote the invitation letter when I was pregnant 6 months that she would be in Canada for 2 months ( I didn't mention about the baby because she will be back before I have my baby ). Now, she got the visa after having my baby 6 weeks old ( wait 4.5 months for the visa ). I just booked the flight ticket round trip for her staying in Canada 5 months because we want to spend more time together since I left my country 2 years ago and she wants to visit her first grandchild as well. I have 2 questions are :

1. Is it ok if I book the flight ticket for her 5 months ? I heard that the custom officer will decide the time s.o can stay in Canada. They may refuse her enter to Canada because she stays so long at the first time visit. If so, Should I change the flight ticket shorter ?

2. I write an explaination letter for her to show the custom officer which has our contact information and explaination about the reason of her trip. I also mention about 2 months old baby while I did not mention it in my invitation letter to apply for her visa.

I am worrying that these things will make the custom officer wonder about her purpose to come to Canada and may refuse her.

Pls helps me everyone. Thank you so much.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

1. Is it ok if I book the flight ticket for her 5 months ? I heard that the custom officer will decide the time s.o can stay in Canada. They may refuse her enter to Canada because she stays so long at the first time visit. If so, Should I change the flight ticket shorter ?
You can buy a refundable ticket/ticket that allows for a date change (for a fee or for free)..... book the return ticket for a much shorter duration like maybe 5-6 weeks.

The length of her stay will be determined by the immigration officer she meets. All going well (which happens mostly), she will be allowed to remain for 6 months..... you can then change her return flight.

2. I write an explaination letter for her to show the custom officer which has our contact information and explaination about the reason of her trip. I also mention about 2 months old baby while I did not mention it in my invitation letter to apply for her visa.
If you mention about your baby, it could wrongly appear that your mom is visiting to take care of your baby.... which is not allowed on a TRV.

You may want to keep your explanation letter stating that she just wants to go sightseeing, spend time with you/your family/meet friends and relatives

Don't worry :)

julieneuls167

Mar 13, 2016
Thanks for your reply Bryan. I booked online Cheapoair.com so I think I may pay for the fee thi. So now I should change the return date you think ?

I will correct my explanation letter which doesn't mention anything about the baby :)

sokosan

Aug 6, 2015
It is extremely unlikely your mother would be refused to enter Canada, even if she says she is coming for 5 months.

Canada is a country of immigrants and people's parents and grandparents come to visit all the time. The border officer is not going to access your mother's visa application and the invitation letter you sent her...and there is no reason to hide the fact you have a baby.

What Bryanna says is somewhat correct, you should NOT write in your letter something like "my mother is coming to help me take care of the baby". You CAN write something like "my mother wants to spend time with me and her grandchildren".

What might happen is that the border officer might not allow her the full 6 months, but might limit her to less. If you already booked a ticket for the 5 months, and paid for it, just wait and see what the people at the border do, if they let her in but for less then the 5 months you wanted, then rebook the ticket...doesn't make sense to pay the rebooking twice :)

julieneuls167

Mar 13, 2016
sokosan said:
It is extremely unlikely your mother would be refused to enter Canada, even if she says she is coming for 5 months.

Canada is a country of immigrants and people's parents and grandparents come to visit all the time. The border officer is not going to access your mother's visa application and the invitation letter you sent her...and there is no reason to hide the fact you have a baby.

What Bryanna says is somewhat correct, you should NOT write in your letter something like "my mother is coming to help me take care of the baby". You CAN write something like "my mother wants to spend time with me and her grandchildren".

What might happen is that the border officer might not allow her the full 6 months, but might limit her to less. If you already booked a ticket for the 5 months, and paid for it, just wait and see what the people at the border do, if they let her in but for less then the 5 months you wanted, then rebook the ticket...doesn't make sense to pay the rebooking twice :)
Thank you so much for your reply. It helps me a lots. I think it is good idea and advice that helps me not to worry so much tho.