+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can i stay outside Canada?

rajeshrkldy

Apr 24, 2017
Hi,
I got my PR in May 2017.I stayed in Canada only for 1 month and had to return to my homeland,India due to some issues.I would like to know how long can i stay outside Canada? Is there any time period within which i need to re-enter Canada?..My PR card is valid till May 2022.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,
I got my PR in May 2017.I stayed in Canada only for 1 month and had to return to my homeland,India due to some issues.I would like to know how long can i stay outside Canada? Is there any time period within which i need to re-enter Canada?..My PR card is valid till May 2022.
There are so many posts answering this question.

You can stay away near 3 years from the date that you land as long as in the 5 years from landing date you accumulate 730 days in Canada. So if for example someone stays away for full 3 years they would need stay for 2 years straight without leaving at all.

PR card expiry is irrelevant as far as residency obligation is concerned, date of landing is the important date in the first 5 years. So you probably landed before May 2017, maybe Feb/March 2017 given takes couple months to get a PR card so you could stay away around until Feb/March 2020 but is always advisable to return sooner than the maximum away time ?

After the first 5 years the 5 years is reset each time you enter the country so you must have spent 730 days in the country in the 5 years preceeding each new entry.

Last edited:

Nirvan

Jul 8, 2015
LANDED..........
06-04-2016
Hi.
There is so much confusion around this topic. I have been told by so many people that one cannot stay outside canada for more than 6 months. But I havent came across this rule anywhere. I hope it is not true.
I am a PR holder and have stayed in canada for 2.5 years. Currently I am in my home country and its been more than 7 months. I hope I am OK and dnt get into trouble when I go back.
If you have any information please let me know.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi.
There is so much confusion around this topic. I have been told by so many people that one cannot stay outside canada for more than 6 months. But I havent came across this rule anywhere. I hope it is not true.
I am a PR holder and have stayed in canada for 2.5 years. Currently I am in my home country and its been more than 7 months. I hope I am OK and dnt get into trouble when I go back.
If you have any information please let me know.
You are fine. 6 months rule ended many years ago.