+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long after Pr approval to get visa issued.

belibech

Jul 24, 2009
Hi all,

First let me just say that this forum is a heaven for many of us and I appreciate every single topic in it, it was great to hear the story of many people.

Here is my time line:

We received your application to sponsor ..... on March 24, 2016.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 20, 2016.
We started processing your application on April 19, 2016.

We received ....'s application for permanent residence on March 24, 2016.
We started processing ....'s application on May 13, 2016.
Medical results have been received.

Today I received an email from Paris office saying that they are ready to issue the PR visa for my wife. She is now with me as a visitor (and planning to stay until August 5th).
They suggest to send the passport to either Paris or Ottawa.

I want to ask how long it takes from when we send the passport to Ottawa until receiving the visa back and then the PR card.

Please advice.

Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
belibech said:
I want to ask how long it takes from when we send the passport to Ottawa until receiving the visa back and then the PR card.

Please advice.

Thanks
does she require a visa? if she's not visa exempt, it takes about 3-4 weeks to get a passport back from ottawa. note, the applicant won't get a PR card. She will receive her passport and the approval paper known as the COPR. this is what she will use to finalize her landing at the border. at landing, the CBSA officer will send in a PR Card application for her, and she will receive it in due time. it can take up to 6 months after landing to get it. the COPR can be used for anything a PR card is needed for (sin#, healthcare, etc.)

if she is visa exempt, then cic only needs a copy of her passport. it will then take 1-3 weeks to get the COPR in the mail.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try www.cic.gc.ca for a period length for getting PR card and Paris or Ottawa sites to get an idea who long it takes to get passports back.

belibech

Jul 24, 2009
CDNPR2014 said:
does she require a visa? if she's not visa exempt, it takes about 3-4 weeks to get a passport back from ottawa. note, the applicant won't get a PR card. She will receive her passport and the approval paper known as the COPR. this is what she will use to finalize her landing at the border. at landing, the CBSA officer will send in a PR Card application for her, and she will receive it in due time. it can take up to 6 months after landing to get it. the COPR can be used for anything a PR card is needed for (sin#, healthcare, etc.)

if she is visa exempt, then cic only needs a copy of her passport. it will then take 1-3 weeks to get the COPR in the mail.
She requires a visa to enter Canada.
Now she is with me using a visitor visa, but I will assume they will cancel that once I send the passport to get the new PR visa.

My worry is: we will be travelling August 5th, so if we will send the passport today (get the visa in 1-3 weeks), then we will travel outside Canada and land once we are back.

does this sounds feasible ?

PS: is there a number of the Ottawa office to call

Thanks a lot

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
[sup]
belibech said:
She requires a visa to enter Canada.
Now she is with me using a visitor visa, but I will assume they will cancel that once I send the passport to get the new PR visa.

My worry is: we will be travelling August 5th, so if we will send the passport today (get the visa in 1-3 weeks), then we will travel outside Canada and land once we are back.

does this sounds feasible ?
oh ok, then she needs to send her physical passport. people are reporting 3-4 weeks for ottawa to return passports. assuming there are no issues, you should get that before your trip. yes, she can absolutely land as a PR upon your return if she has her COPR and passport back. the only rule is she has to land before the copr expires which usually coincides with the medical exam date. its really not something to worry about.

[sub][sup][sup]
belibech said:
PS: is there a number of the Ottawa office to call

Thanks a lot[/sup]
unfortunately no, you will need to respond to the email CIC sent you or submit a case specific inquiriy. CIC should be sending you instructions about how to send it to ottawa, if they haven't already.

belibech

Jul 24, 2009
Regina said:
Try www.cic.gc.ca for a period length for getting PR card and Paris or Ottawa sites to get an idea who long it takes to get passports back.
My wife is now with me in Canada and she is travelling back August 5th.
I can't find the ottawa website, and we are on the stage of applying for the visa first (I believe the PR card comes after)

Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
belibech said:
My wife is now with me in Canada and she is travelling back August 5th.
I can't find the ottawa website, and we are on the stage of applying for the visa first (I believe the PR card comes after)

Thanks
i think by "site" the poster may mean the threads on this forum for those visa offices? you're not going to find accurate information on any CIC website about this.